GM Volt Forum banner

Have you replaced your 2013 12v battery?

• Yes, it was <2 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it was 3-4 years old

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Yes, it was 5+ years old

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • No, I'm pushing 5+ and it's still fine

Votes: 42 79.2%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you had to replace your 12V AGM battery yet?
What was the replacement date/how old was the battery?
Did you check the manufacturing date to see how old the OEM battery was?
Model Year 2013 Only Please (If someone wants to create a similar poll for other years feel free)

I was surprised to discover that the 12v AGM in my car was apparently over a year old before it was even installed. Of course "shelf time" for that type of battery really doesn't impact it's service life much at all but that still means the battery I replaced yesterday was actually over 5 years old.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Have you had to replace your 12V AGM battery yet?
What was the replacement date/how old was the battery?
Did you check the manufacturing date to see how old the OEM battery was?
Model Year 2013 Only Please (If someone wants to create a similar poll for other years feel free)

I was surprised to discover that the 12v AGM in my car was apparently over a year old before it was even installed. Of course "shelf time" for that type of battery really doesn't impact it's service life much at all but that still means the battery I replaced yesterday was actually over 5 years old.
I voted "5+ years old, it's fine". I did just have a 12v issue (posted about it), but it was human-induced.

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
My 2011 12V battery is 6 years 4 months old.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have 2 2013s so could not vote twice. I did not look at the date on them but vote 5 years for the one that has the original battery. The other one was replaced after the 1st year under b2b warranty. But it is getting old now too.

No problems. However I do keep a lithium jump unit in the glove box of each. I also purchased Solar battery tester and check it every once in a while.

My mother in law has a 4 year old Ford Fusion and the cold weather knocked out the battery in it this week. But there is much more strain on a strictly ICE car battery.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This to me is funny timing. This could not have been better time to discuss this subject.

The car is starting to act up. Air bag warning, Charge door port error code, Trip info not showing up on the screen. Little things like that started to show up yesterday and today. The temperature is starting to dip into the 20's and I keep my car outside.

So I took the wife's car into work today. No need to get stranded 30 miles from home. I will look at it tonight.

Based on what I have learn from this site I am wondering if it is not 12v battery related. It still has the original battery. I think it is time to replace it. I am hoping that is the only thing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Mine is still going strong at 5y and 2 months since the car sale date. The battery also still looks brand new without a hint of corrosion on the terminals.

I suspect that whether a car is parked inside, and the local climate will be big factors on battery life beyond 5 years. Also, if you have ever run the battery flat.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Mine is still going strong at 5y and 2 months since the car sale date. The battery also still looks brand new without a hint of corrosion on the terminals.

I suspect that whether a car is parked inside, and the local climate will be big factors on battery life beyond 5 years. Also, if you have ever run the battery flat.
I'm thinking the fact the 12v is located under the rear hatch as opposed to under the hood shields it from the harshest of weather conditions, which may let the Volt's 12v live longer than a traditional 12v.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
This to me is funny timing. This could not have been better time to discuss this subject.

The car is starting to act up. Air bag warning, Charge door port error code, Trip info not showing up on the screen. Little things like that started to show up yesterday and today. The temperature is starting to dip into the 20's and I keep my car outside.

So I took the wife's car into work today. No need to get stranded 30 miles from home. I will look at it tonight.

Based on what I have learn from this site I am wondering if it is not 12v battery related. It still has the original battery. I think it is time to replace it. I am hoping that is the only thing wrong with the car.
Since you park outside my vote is the 12v battery is failing.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The car is starting to act up. Air bag warning, Charge door port error code, Trip info not showing up on the screen.
I have other posts about my charge port door error, the center stack came up, rebooted, came up again and was fine (2x in the last week), Got in the car yesterday and ZILCH, none of the usual sounds or lights, for about 2 seconds and then everything kicked on.

No show stoppers but I was like "that is really weird" and I remembered all the threads about glitches when the 12v gets bad.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm thinking the fact the 12v is located under the rear hatch as opposed to under the hood shields it from the harshest of weather conditions, which may let the Volt's 12v live longer than a traditional 12v.
Agreed, but leaving the car parked in the sun all day every day in Phoenix will result in high temps inside the car, which can't be good for battery longevity compared to a car that is normally garaged.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is the 12v battery in the Volt actually an AGM as opposed to sealed lead acid?

When I bought my 05 Prius in the Fall of 13’, I didn’t drive it that first Winter I had it in an effort to reduce road salt exposure. Over the winter I had been reading forums and heard the horror stories of the difficulty to get at the 12v battery IF it went dead. So, in the spring of 14’ I opted to replace it preemptively, since It was the OEM battery then almost 9 years old. I found out Optima made a direct replacement for it and was offering a substantial spring incentive deal at the time, so installed one of those. What surprised me was that the OEM battery was just a sealed Lead Acid battery not AGM. I was very surprised it had lasted that long, but then again it’s not used for Cranking.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think the 12 V battery issue might be aggravated by a random failure of the car to shut down properly. It wouldn't start for my wife one morning, giving symptoms of a dead battery. Charging it and the car has been fine since. My hunch is not all the systems shut down properly. I replaced the 12 V a year earlier for similar symptoms. Given the relatively new battery I decided to charge it first and it has been fine for months now.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Agreed, but leaving the car parked in the sun all day every day in Phoenix will result in high temps inside the car, which can't be good for battery longevity compared to a car that is normally garaged.
Which do you suppose is hotter? Under the floor of the cabin, or in the engine compartment next to an exhaust manifold? I'm guessing "under the trunk floor" is probably all-around better by any measure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I replaced my battery a few weeks ago in my 2013. It was the original unit. In Minnesota, with the cold, I didn't want it to fail me this upcoming winter at 5 years. I may have gotten an extra year or even two, but its a small price to pay for a future hassle.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Don't look at the manufacture date on your next set of tires then (no really - always look). "Shelf time" does matter with tires.

My '14 got a new battery a couple of months ago but I didn't vote since I'm not included. I hate surprises. First sign of anything weird and it's gone. They're warrantied for only 3 years. My car turned 4 last month.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Replaced the 12V battery in my 2013 a few months ago. The car was manufactured in late 2012. I wasn't having any problems but I had it in for the 5 year coolant change so did the battery replacement at the same time. When I got it home I also replaced the engine air filter (first time) and the cabin air filter (I think for the 3rd time). Good to go for another 5 years now!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine manufactured in August of 2013. I was going to replace it next year, the 5th year, when the coolant flush is due.
However, I've decided to purchase a lithium jump start unit and see how long will it last.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't look at the manufacture date on your next set of tires then (no really - always look). "Shelf time" does matter with tires.
Oh don't get me started on dates on tires. My friend just put tires on his Jeep Unlimited in October and when I was looking at it I noticed the date codes and thought "now that doesn't seem right". Sure enough the ones on one side were new (less than a year old) but the two on the passenger side were BOTH EIGHT YEARS OLD!

We made a beeline back to the tire place where the manager did make it right immediately, no guff or pushback, but wow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts