GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have zeroed out your trip meter and pretended that you had a Volt? I did this last week in the car I use for my daily transportation, and so far I have traveled over 400 miles without using any gas!! Well... in a virtual world. I drove my car to all the places I normally go and not once would my ICE have had to kick in. It would be real easy for me to charge at work as well, so I could even extend my daily no-gas range.

I think the amount of gas this car will save is really underestimated. 40 miles is really a fair amount of driving. Try playing with the trip meter, it's fun and helps pass the time until we can have a real Volt.

·
1,101 Posts
I ran those numbers a long time ago.

The only days I see the ICE getting any use for me would be on Tuesday, for about 35 miles, and Friday for about 55 miles. The other five days of the week, I will be way under the 40 miles AER.

So I expect to have to fill up the gas tank with 10-11 gallons of gas about once every 6 WEEKS!

So that is about 90 gallons per year @ $5.00 / gal (in 2010) is $450.00, plus about $1.00 per day to charge up the batteries is $365.00, so my total fuel costs will be approx. $815.00

My CURRENT fuel bill per year is 15 gallons of 93 octane gas every 10 days. I will round down to 540 gallons per year @ $3.30 / gallon is $1,782.00.

If I use the same $5.00 per gal as above, my fuel costs will be approx $2,700.00 in 2010.

So it looks to my like I would be about $1,885.00 ahead in fuel costs the first year alone! If I keep the car for 10 years, that is $18,850.00 saved. If you look at it this way, the original price of the Volt at $35,000.00 does not look so high......

·
Registered
136 Posts
40 miles is good but...

I'm going to need to burn gas. Not as much as I am now, but my average daily commute is about 50 miles round trip and I can't plug in at work.

Also once a week I need to make a 120 mile round trip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Charge It

It is 19.5 miles to work....
Most of the nearby towns are a similar distance.

I am sure I would kick in the ICE a couple of times a month.
Any longer trips though, I would fly.. At 30mpg:eek:

Red HHR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts