GM Volt Forum banner

Have you experienced the Chuggle?

• I have not experienced the Chuggle in my 2016 Gen2 Volt.

Votes: 66 54.5%
  • I think I have experienced the Chuggle, but it wasn't very noticeable or bothersome.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • I have definitely experienced the Chuggle, the dealer applied the TSB, and it stopped.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have definitely experienced the Chuggle, the dealer applied the TSB, and it is better but still ha

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • I have definitely experienced the Chuggle, the dealer applied the TSB, and it is still happening the

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A number of people have mentioned they have experienced "Chuggle" on their 2016 Gen 2 Volt. I'd like to know how widespread this is.

Chuggle is a surging sensation that occurs when driving with the ICE in operation and is most noticeable when driving on smooth roads between 35 and 65 MPH.

There is a TSB that was applied for some of the early vehicle builds, but some people who have had this applied still say they are experiencing it, although it may be better than before.

See here for more info about it: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?203826-Steady-speed-on-ICE-not-smooth

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I know mine was flashed on Oct 30 the day we took delivery, as I was given paperwork with the service item. The engine runs silky smooth, but I don't know what it ran like before.

Unless things have changed, any GM dealership can take your VIN and find out if the flash was done, you don't have to "plug in" to find out. If they did flash it, you should have paperwork, AND it will be listed in the database service history. If it's not in the service history, it was not done.

Ask about getting printout of the service history for your VIN.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
If I get flashed I'll chuggle like you cant believe!

·
Registered
488 Posts
The software update was done before I received my car on Oct 28th. Chuggle-free.

BTW, is this software number (found in center console settings) a reference to see if one has the latest flash? Here is mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
A number of people have mentioned they have experienced "Chuggle" on their 2016 Gen 2 Volt. I'd like to know how widespread this is.

Chuggle is a surging sensation that occurs when driving with the ICE in operation and is most noticeable when driving on smooth roads between 35 and 65 MPH.

There is a TSB that was applied for some of the early vehicle builds, but some people who have had this applied still say they are experiencing it, although it may be better than before.

See here for more info about it: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?203826-Steady-speed-on-ICE-not-smooth
We'll I have experienced some slight sensations when on ICE only, but I believe it has more to do with power delivery. Lately, I have been paying attention to the modern enhanced display which shows battery delivery and gas engine (mechanical propulsion) delivery of power to the car. I've noticed that when I get that slight chuggle sensation, I also see a drastic change in the power delivery between battery and the gas engine. I notice this sensation most when I have changes in the highway grade/elevation, than when I'm on flat freeway. This makes sense to me because if I drive an automatic then I'll get some gear shifting that does the same thing, so I think that I don't have the chuggle problem and if I do it is very subtle that I don't notice it on flat terrain but I'll keep an eye on this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can the first choice be rephrased as "I have not experienced the Chuggle in my 2016 Gen2 Volt yet" until we know for sure if, despite the software update, it is still a problem?

Most of us may never see it, but isn't it a bit early in our ownership of this model to be certain we won't? There's only 26 of us who have answered.

...or can our votes be changed if we do?

I'm going to go ahead and register as Have Not, and hope I continue to Have Not...

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can the first choice be rephrased as "I have not experienced the Chuggle in my 2016 Gen2 Volt yet" until we know for sure if, despite the software update, it is still a problem?

Most of us may never see it, but isn't it a bit early in our ownership of this model to be certain we won't? There's only 26 of us who have answered.

...or can our votes be changed if we do?

I'm going to go ahead and register as Have Not, and hope I continue to Have Not...

Thanks,
Rick
I don't think I can change the poll question, but I think what whether you say "yet" or not it means the same thing. Also, I don't know if it's possible to change your response. If you haven't driven in the conditions described for very long, I would refrain from answering. I just got a 2016 and haven't had it long enough or driven it enough on ICE to know, but I'm taking a long road trip after Christmas so I'll answer after that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've taken two 175 mile rides and one 100 mile ride, both with only 1 charge at the starting point, using the ICE on the highway for the majority of the miles. True, not much low speed ICE driving though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sometimes when I'm cruising in hold mode (using cruise control) at around 65-70mph I feel a slight surge sensation. Almost like a rough idle. Not sure if this is what the"chuggle" is, but it has crossed my mind. It's very slight, and honestly I'm not sure if I would have noticed it if I hadn't been "looking for it" after reading about it in these forums. It seems happen when both the engine and the electric motors are driving the wheels simultaneously. Also not sure if I would notice it if this car weren't as smooth as it is.
My car was built after the TSB came out, so my dealer told me that it does not apply to my vehicle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just took delivery and don't seem to have chuggle. That being said, on electric only at hiway speed I notice a slight droning sound that cycles in frequency a bit - even if it is on cruise. Happens on different road surfaces so I dont think it was tire related. I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been listening closely for the chuggle. Comes from rear of the vehicle - anybody experience something similar?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just took delivery and don't seem to have chuggle. That being said, on electric only at hiway speed I notice a slight droning sound that cycles in frequency a bit - even if it is on cruise. Happens on different road surfaces so I dont think it was tire related. I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not been listening closely for the chuggle. Comes from rear of the vehicle - anybody experience something similar?
In EV mode everything should be as smooth as silk. The problem with the chuggle issue occurs when driving ICE with depleted battery.

Your post mentions that you driving in EV mode but listening for chuggle? But if your EV only, it should be smooth. Maybe after you drive it on a few different surfaces, you may find it is simply road surface noise. Hopefully it is nothing. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BTW, is this software number (found in center console settings) a reference to see if one has the latest flash? Here is mine:
I'm pretty sure that is just the infotainment software version. The I doubt the ECM can even be polled by the infotainment for information like this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was driving on the ICE for a few miles and experienced the chuggle. It was pretty noticeable when going around 35 through town. Looks like I need to have my software updated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My car already had the TSB applied when I bought it a couple of months back and I therefore I don't know if its better, however I do still really notice it. The survey questions don't really work for my situation since I don't have a comparison.

@lil' dave, I expect you have the TSB already if you only just got the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I felt the "chuggle" a couple of times immediately after switching from battery to gas on the high-way, at a speed around 68 mph. The car shakes forward and backward slightly, but was definitely noticeable. It feels like the car is not giving a constant propulsion.

I wish there is an option for "I have definitely experienced the Chuggle, but haven't talked to the dealer yet".

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel the chuggle, but dealer has not applied the tsb fix.

Had car for 2 months and haven't had time to bring it back to dealer for reflash. Otherwise car has been flawless.

What about that option for this poll???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a 2016 Volt, manufactured Dec 2015.
The second day I had the car, drove approximately 4 miles on the freeway in CS mode and definitely felt the chuggle.
Felt it on both a short hill climb and flat road.
Since this is a brand new car, I would have thought that the TSB would have been applied already.
It looks like GM still needs to look into this problem.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts