GM Volt Forum banner

Have Blink EVSE but would like to trade down for simpler EVSE

2650 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Joule Thief
I'm one of the folks who got a "free" Blink EVSE installation. It's a fine machine, but vastly overkill for my needs - it has a touchscreen, wifi, charging schedules, etc. etc., all nice features but I've used them exactly zero times. It also has a non-trivial vampire load (12-15W I believe)

Given that Blink (the company) is on the blink financially, I'm wondering what the next step is.

If I had my choice, I'd be happy to trade my Blink EVSE for a much simpler model. It would be nice to see my blink put into use as a public charging station, where the Wifi / Touchscreen etc. would actually be doing something useful.

Anyone else having these thoughts?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doing nothing is certainly an option, but I also feel it's a little selfish to have this fancy EVSE sitting doing basically nothing when it could have a second life as a public station.

The vampire draw is a small issue, but the breaker is nowhere convenient to access so that's not an option.

· Registered
971 Posts
There are probably more than a few here willing to trade you for an SPX Voltec L2 ;)

As a fellow Blink owner, I don't think you're under-utilizing it. There's really nothing to do on the touch screen after your initial setup. Just charge and be happy. The only thing I like is the power meter will track your kWh used for charging/TMS. And you can then download your power usage logs online. You can see how often you charge, how long it takes to charge, and how much energy you used. Every now and then I like to geek out on my EV data using my Blink logs, VoltStats, and my power bill. But that's like once every 6 months. The rest of the time I don't do anything with my Blink, other than charge.

On a side note, the SPX Power Xpress (my other EVSE) has the lowest parasitic loss of any L2. Or some EVSE like the GE WattStation have a power off switch to completely kill the vampire load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.