GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know if anyone had this issue before. Pressing the start button starts and press it again it does not turn off but re initialize and start back again. also shifting the gear to reverse will still propell the car forward and any shift in gear mode still propelles forward when the break is released. also you can't turn the steering wheel and is kind of locked in particular position. the only way to shut this off is to put the car in parking mode ,press the start button to power off and open the door. all other mode of trying to shut the car down will not work. Only dashboard light you may see is check engine light. Called on-star and all they do is ask me to take it to the dealer.they run me around with 3-4 times to call back and still the car has not been towed to the dealer. The dealer is not ready to loan a vehicle for my office and have to wait in the range of 8:00 am to 9:30 am when a tow truck may be dispatched to my office parking lot where the car is?
Last time when this happened they blame it on my driving and told me that all they did is shock the 12 v battery which kind of reset the software . Hope this time it is not the same they do.
The bad thing is cox chey dealer told that they won't provide a loaner vehicle as the warranty may be gone as it is more than 10000 miles. When I bought I was promised 3 year /36000 miles
Not happy today on my volt

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I cannot reply to your other concerns, but I believe that you did describe the only way that the car can be turned off: putting the shift lever in Park and pressing the Power Button once. If the lever is in any position other than Park, the car will give you an audible signal (I think) and give you a message on the screen behind the steering wheel that tells you that you need to place the lever in Park and then press the Power Button once to shut down the car. You should ask the dealer for all the trouble codes and come back to this group to allow us to discuss this further with you.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Your 2014 Volt with 10,000 miles is definitely under factory warranty. Voltec components are 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Let the dealer sort it out for you.
Dealer loaner policy usually comes to effect if they keep the car for more than 24hours. But it is the dealers discretion.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
onstar can give you the codes.

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Pressing the start button starts and press it again it does not turn off but re initialize and start back again.
It's a bit hard to follow what you are doing, but to start the car, press the brake while in Park and hit the power button. Do not press the power button twice.
also shifting the gear to reverse will still propell the car forward and any shift in gear mode still propelles forward when the break is released. also you can't turn the steering wheel and is kind of locked in particular position.
That definitely sounds like a problem.

the only way to shut this off is to put the car in parking mode ,press the start button to power off and open the door.
Yes, that IS the way to turn off the car.

Called on-star and all they do is ask me to take it to the dealer.
Ask OnStar for any error codes, write them down and post here.

The dealer is not ready to loan a vehicle for my office and have to wait in the range of 8:00 am to 9:30 am when a tow truck may be dispatched to my office parking lot where the car is?
Loaners are up to the dealer I think.
Last time when this happened they blame it on my driving and told me that all they did is shock the 12 v battery which kind of reset the software . Hope this time it is not the same they do.
Perhaps they meant you left the car on and drained the 12v battery which they then recharged.

The bad thing is cox chey dealer told that they won't provide a loaner vehicle as the warranty may be gone as it is more than 10000 miles. When I bought I was promised 3 year /36000 miles
That doesn't make sense. If the car is under 3 years /36000 miles then the 3/36000 warranty applies. This is something a Volt a
Advisor can help you with if the dealer refuses to honor the warranty. I suspect there is more to this story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Want to know if anyone had this issue before. Pressing the start button starts and press it again it does not turn off but re initialize and start back again ...
Not happy today on my volt
I had a similar problem where the car will loop all the time and never shut down. I had to disconnect the regular battery that starts the engine from the trunk. Then the software reset itself and I was able to drive to the dealer. I had also charging problems.

You have 3/36000 and they need to give you a loaner car .... Actually the electrical parts have 100,000 warranty if I remember well

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Perhaps they meant you left the car on and drained the 12v battery which they then recharged.
If the car is "ON" then the traction battery will keep the 12 volt battery charged. Per WOT:

"I posted on this back in 2013 sometime and I believe there is [sic] additional details in the FAQs but to summarize:

- 12V AGM battery charging occurs whenever the car is ON via the Auxiliary 14V Power Module (DC-DC converter) so the energy is essentially Li-ion sourced

- 12V AGM battery charging also occurs via the On-Board Charging Module whenever the car is actively charging the 360V Li-Ion battery (Charging from the OBCM means the charging energy is grid sourced)

- starting with the 2013 model year, a 12V Batter[y] Protection mode was added that will regularly monitor the SOC of the 12V AGM battery for 30 days providing the vehicle is plugged-in and if necessary provide a "top-up" charge via the On-Board Charging Module

Complete details of 12V AGM Battery Protection Mode are as follows (from the 2013 Volt Electronic Service Information)

12V Battery Maintenance Mode MY2013+

12V Battery Maintenance Mode is an automatic function that prevents deep discharge of the 12 V battery in specific circumstances. It is enabled when the drive motor battery charger cable is plugged into the hybrid/EV battery charger receptacle and the hybrid/EV battery pack is not being charged.

Operation differs depending on whether the power mode is Vehicle Off or Vehicle in Service Mode.
While Vehicle Off, the 12 V battery is monitored at periodic intervals up to a maximum of 30 days. While Vehicle in Service Mode, the 12 V battery is monitored at periodic intervals up to a maximum of 60 hours. If voltage is low, the 12 V battery is charged by the battery charger using external power for up to four hours. This function is only intended to prevent a dead 12 V battery and does not provide a full charge. This is more efficient than continuously trickle charging, thus minimizing the usage of external power.

Under normal circumstances, with a battery that is charged when the vehicle is parked, Battery Maintenance Mode will simply monitor the voltage level, and no charging will be necessary. With Vehicle Off, Battery Maintenance Mode will maintain the 12 V battery for up to 30 days. For longer periods, refer to Owner Manual for instructions.

HTH
WopOnTour"

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?118425-Charging-the-12-volt-battery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts