GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601567/tesla-tests-self-driving-functions-with-secret-updates-to-its-customers-cars/

"Tesla can pull down data from the sensors inside its customers’ vehicles to see how people are driving and the road and traffic conditions they experience. It uses that data to test the effectiveness of new self-driving features. The company even secretly tests new autonomous software by covertly installing it on customer vehicles so it can react to real road and traffic conditions, without controlling the vehicle."

OTA updates.....including the secret, covert kind. Hmmmmmm....NSA who? :p

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Some claim GM did the same thing with Gen 1 Volt's...... and continues this day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601567/tesla-tests-self-driving-functions-with-secret-updates-to-its-customers-cars/

"Tesla can pull down data from the sensors inside its customers’ vehicles to see how people are driving and the road and traffic conditions they experience. It uses that data to test the effectiveness of new self-driving features. The company even secretly tests new autonomous software by covertly installing it on customer vehicles so it can react to real road and traffic conditions, without controlling the vehicle."

OTA updates.....including the secret, covert kind. Hmmmmmm....NSA who? :p
Sorry but your dramatization of Tesla intentions is out of steps with reality. The data connectivity contract clearly states they plan to record and retain driving data for the purpose of improving the Autopilot implementation. Nothing nefarious or hidden about their intentions. No one buying a Tesla expects anything less.

It's comical to imply that Tesla efforts to improve Autopilot is "covert" or "secretive". Must be the worst kept secret in the car business especially when they advertise the number miles of data they have collected. hahahah

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am really happy Tesla is doing that. Please grab as much data as you need and make autopilot smarter. It's a bit like some ACC in some cars, posts recently said that some ACC was not super responsive and driving rough, what if they could take some data as Tesla does and then update ACC for better, smoother driving?

Personally, I love how Tesla is disrupting things and all for the better for everyone involved. Install a software that would test new algorithms without taking control of the car and then use the data gathered to fix bugs for when it gets put in production? Ingenious! Ok, it might be a magnet to sensationalist journalism but who cares, the technology will get wayy better, much faster, good for everyone! In our current way of making things, these improvements would have taken years and you would have needed to buy that new car with better autopilot. Now, OTA update, same car. Finally!!

Note: My stance on Tesla is, while I appreciate what they do, I am cautious of model 3 for its reliability. I might opt for a bolt instead. So, I'm not the biggest Tesla fanboy, but I appreciate what they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts