GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 years ago I ordered the Tesla Model X, and I’m finally getting it in a couple months (ordered the 70 which put me at the end of the line). I hate to give up my 2013 Volt (2nd one after lease ran out for my 2011), but I’m excited about the Model X.

So, my question is, should I go with Tesla’s trade-in offer of $12,500 or try to sell it on my own (maybe could get $15K?). I’m leaning toward selling myself, but I’m leery of using Craigslist which I’ve used before... it seems more dodgy in the past few years. Does anyone have any advice? What’s worked for you? I’m in the SF Bay Area, but the car does NOT have HOV stickers. Only 16K miles, but no “loaded” options like leather, back-up camera, etc.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve really enjoyed my time in this forum and who knows, I may get another Volt one of these days.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you want a no hassle, no charge back or lawsuit deal and no scammers or idiots, you take the dealers $$. Yes it is possible to get more doing it yourself, but your going to earn every penny. The only other option is CarMax, you might get a few hundred more, but even that isn't hassle free as drop off one car and take home the new one.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
3 years ago I ordered the Tesla Model X, and I’m finally getting it in a couple months (ordered the 70 which put me at the end of the line). I hate to give up my 2013 Volt (2nd one after lease ran out for my 2011), but I’m excited about the Model X.

So, my question is, should I go with Tesla’s trade-in offer of $12,500 or try to sell it on my own (maybe could get $15K?). I’m leaning toward selling myself, but I’m leery of using Craigslist which I’ve used before... it seems more dodgy in the past few years. Does anyone have any advice? What’s worked for you? I’m in the SF Bay Area, but the car does NOT have HOV stickers. Only 16K miles, but no “loaded” options like leather, back-up camera, etc.

Thanks for your advice. I’ve really enjoyed my time in this forum and who knows, I may get another Volt one of these days.
Might be worth shopping to Carmax to see what they offer, but I'd see not dealing independent sale (a la Craigslist) as almost being worth $2000 in hassle-avoidance.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I'd say look at it as a percentage of the price of the Tesla or a percentage of your annual income. it's it's a small amount compared to how much you are spending and making, maybe it's not worth it. A lot has to do with how much you value your time. If you are retired and a have all the time in the world to spend some effort cleaning up the car, showing it to strangers, and keeping your radar on high alert for scammers, then sure, try to sell it for more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words of wisdom... might be better just to avoid the hassle and take the "haircut" by going with Tesla's offer.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
A '13 without the HOV sticker is going to take a haircut anyway. Especially with Craiglist buyers. I've bought and sold several cars from Craigslist and only had one problem, which was my fault, but them I have a slight clue what I'm doing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sold my 2014 Ram 1500 via craigslist... and it's a pain in the ass. You will be dealing with losers and lowballers for the most part. In the end I did find a legit buyer and worked everything out safely at my local bank so I didn't get scammed, but I had to deal with some real human garbage in the meantime.

I'm in a similar situation now moving up to my 2017 Volt this week, I have a 2012 Kia Rio in excellent shape with 70K miles on it. Car max only offered me 4K, when I know they will turn around and sell it for 8 or 9. They have same year/model similar mile cars on their site for 9K.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Sold my 2014 Ram 1500 via craigslist... and it's a pain in the ass. You will be dealing with losers and lowballers for the most part. In the end I did find a legit buyer and worked everything out safely at my local bank so I didn't get scammed, but I had to deal with some real human garbage in the meantime.

I'm in a similar situation now moving up to my 2017 Volt this week, I have a 2012 Kia Rio in excellent shape with 70K miles on it. Car max only offered me 4K, when I know they will turn around and sell it for 8 or 9. They have same year/model similar mile cars on their site for 9K.
Car dealerships are trying to earn a living... Meanwhile the population just trying not to get shafted on the trade. Enough people gen enamoured with the shiny new car that they stop thinking and let emotions take them and their money away, so be careful out there. So at a minimum check out KBB's price estimates on dealer trade and private seller to make sure the dealership isn't taking to you to the cleaners and get a halfway a decent deal. I on the other hand rarely trade in my cars, only learning my lesson after watching my new bride lose half the value of her car on a trade in when we first got married - never again. I'd rather give my cars away than trade them in.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Tesla Chicago just offered me $11,500 on my fully loaded 13 Volt on a $55K CPO. I passed. But they did tell me they would accept a CARMAX offer. So aside from doing the easy thing and taking the trade offer, suggest you visit your local CARMAX outlet for their appraisal.

Good luck

·
Registered
568 Posts
Car dealerships are trying to earn a living... Meanwhile the population just trying not to get shafted on the trade. Enough people gen enamoured with the shiny new car that they stop thinking and let emotions take them and their money away, so be careful out there. So at a minimum check out KBB's price estimates on dealer trade and private seller to make sure the dealership isn't taking to you to the cleaners and get a halfway a decent deal. I on the other hand rarely trade in my cars, only learning my lesson after watching my new bride lose half the value of her car on a trade in when we first got married - never again. I'd rather give my cars away than trade them in.
I've been shopping trade in offers -- Car Max offered me 4K for my 2012 Kia Rio base 6 speed Rio. (it was only 13K brand new) has 70K miles, very well taken care of and is an excellent commuter car. I'd have been much happier had they offered 4500 (it does need a new set of tires though)

Tried the autotrader route, and their site connected me with a local mid sized no name car dealer. Was going to get another baseline and just see where things fall. Sucky thing was I set an appointment get there and tell them I'm doing an appraisal. They ask if I'm just selling, or am I doing a trade in and buying something from them. I got some cock and bull story about how "If I'm only going to be selling, the guy that does that isn't here till 11, if you are trading in and buying from us, we can appraise right now"

Basically the message was "if you arent buying something too we don't really give a crap" the fact they CAN appraise it right there on the spot, but don't want to, yeah I'll take my business elsewhere. Normally it's not a big deal, but I work nights, I was already supposed to be asleep at 9am, but they said come back at 11. Sorry, not going to stay up damn near 20+ hours just so they can dick me around.

Still going to let the GM dealership I'm buying my volt take a crack at appraising when I go to take delivery friday hopefully. I know I could get more cash selling privately, but with my time being very limited, schedule being opposite of everyone elses, and the absolute human garbage/scammers that comes out of the woodwork when trying to sell, i'm happy to take a bit of a hit to not have to deal with that crap.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been shopping trade in offers -- Car Max offered me 4K for my 2012 Kia Rio base 6 speed Rio. (it was only 13K brand new) has 70K miles, very well taken care of and is an excellent commuter car. I'd have been much happier had they offered 4500 (it does need a new set of tires though)

Tried the autotrader route, and their site connected me with a local mid sized no name car dealer. Was going to get another baseline and just see where things fall. Sucky thing was I set an appointment get there and tell them I'm doing an appraisal. They ask if I'm just selling, or am I doing a trade in and buying something from them. I got some cock and bull story about how "If I'm only going to be selling, the guy that does that isn't here till 11, if you are trading in and buying from us, we can appraise right now"

Basically the message was "if you arent buying something too we don't really give a crap" the fact they CAN appraise it right there on the spot, but don't want to, yeah I'll take my business elsewhere. Normally it's not a big deal, but I work nights, I was already supposed to be asleep at 9am, but they said come back at 11. Sorry, not going to stay up damn near 20+ hours just so they can dick me around.

Still going to let the GM dealership I'm buying my volt take a crack at appraising when I go to take delivery friday hopefully. I know I could get more cash selling privately, but with my time being very limited, schedule being opposite of everyone elses, and the absolute human garbage/scammers that comes out of the woodwork when trying to sell, i'm happy to take a bit of a hit to not have to deal with that crap.
Yeah, while I was looking for my Volt two years ago with plans to trade in my truck on the deal I got a letter in the mail from the local Ford dealership saying "we are interested in purchasing your 2006 Ford F-350, come on down and let us appraise it". Since I already wanted to get ride of the truck I figured what the heck and took it in. They seemed confused that I wasn't there to purchase a brand new $50,000 truck and that I just wanted to sell them my old truck... even though that is what their letter said. I knew this was how they would react going in... but the actual confusion in their response was funny as hell. They kept asking what car I was interested in and I kept referencing the letter where they were begging to buy my truck :) I ended up trading it in at the Chevy dealership on my 2011 CPO Volt of course.

Keith

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have experience with Beepi as far as selling a 2014 Honda CRV EX.
They offered more than Carmax did, but had to wait a month before the car actually sold and Beepi bought it from me.

They ARE particular about the cars they display. So if you car has a bunch of cosmetic damage, that is probably a big no from the beginning. They spend about 2 - 3 hours evaluating the car and then let you know if they can list it. YMMV.

There is another service in the Bay Area like Beepi that may also help. They are less picky from what I remember.

Good luck!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I have experience with Beepi as far as selling a 2014 Honda CRV EX.
They offered more than Carmax did, but had to wait a month before the car actually sold and Beepi bought it from me.

They ARE particular about the cars they display. So if you car has a bunch of cosmetic damage, that is probably a big no from the beginning. They spend about 2 - 3 hours evaluating the car and then let you know if they can list it. YMMV.

There is another service in the Bay Area like Beepi that may also help. They are less picky from what I remember.

Good luck!
FYI, it seems a few things have changed at Beepi since I made my initial post.

I recently had them appraise my 2nd Cruze, and now instead of offering a single guaranteed offer, they now give 2 options: a "guaranteed" offer and a "non-guaranteed" one.
The guaranteed offer pretty much works like what I posted, where they will buy the car after 30 days for whatever the guaranteed offer was.

However, the non-guaranteed offer is just that...non-guaranteed. It will be higher than the guaranteed offer, but there is no "30 days and we'll buy it" part of the deal. If your car doesn't sell within 30 days, that's the end of that. You can have the car re-evaluated for a new offer, but no guarantee of a sale.

FWIW, the guaranteed offer for my Cruze was $2,750 less than the non-guaranteed offer.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I would be tempted to try private-selling it myself and see if it goes quickly at a price you are happy with. But do this before buying the new car so you can fall back on the trade-in deal, if desired. You would need to time it carefully so you have enough time to sell it, but also that it doesn't go too early and leave you without a car (might need a rental).

There might be a lot of scum on Craigslist, but I don't think most of them will be interested in a Volt.

·
Super Moderator
6,241 Posts
I would be tempted to try private-selling it myself and see if it goes quickly at a price you are happy with. But do this before buying the new car so you can fall back on the trade-in deal, if desired. You would need to time it carefully so you have enough time to sell it, but also that it doesn't go too early and leave you without a car (might need a rental).

There might be a lot of scum on Craigslist, but I don't think most of them will be interested in a Volt.
I used Craigslist when I sold our Ford Expedition to buy our Tesla Model X and Subaru Legacy Sedan when buying our Gen II Volt.

- I meet people at a local parking lot across from the police station
- I was very clear on any problems with the car so they could not use that to try to drive the price down
- I was very clear I only wanted very serious offers/buyers
- I priced the car higher than I expected to get so the buyer could "deal" down and feel like they got me

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm not sure how it is in your state, but in my state, you get a sales tax deduction on the trade-in value (they take the sale price - the trade-in value to get the taxable amount). This can sometimes be a substantial savings on the sales tax that would not be recouped on even a higher value private sale.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for all the great advice. I'll give Carmax a shot and fall back on Tesla's offer if that doesn't work out. Good advice/warnings Scottf200.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I cannot understand why you are getting rid of the low lifetime costs on a 2013 Volt. If you are worrying about costs, the car you should be dumping is the Tesla. You are going to lose many more thousands of dollars by losing the declining per mile costs of operating a 2013 Volt for another ten years. I traded a 2007 Prius for a 2013 Volt last year and felt guilty about increasing my transportation costs with a newer vehicle, along with spending a couple hundred dollars per month that could have been saved for retirement. Well, at least the stock market is sapping my money faster than car payments.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I cannot understand why you are getting rid of the low lifetime costs on a 2013 Volt. If you are worrying about costs, the car you should be dumping is the Tesla. You are going to lose many more thousands of dollars by losing the declining per mile costs of operating a 2013 Volt for another ten years. I traded a 2007 Prius for a 2013 Volt last year and felt guilty about increasing my transportation costs with a newer vehicle, along with spending a couple hundred dollars per month that could have been saved for retirement. Well, at least the stock market is sapping my money faster than car payments.
Dude, why don't you take a crap in his cereal bowl and call him a bastard while you are at it?

I for one and happy to see you getting the Tesla, and hope you can sell the Volt for more than the trade in... but having the trade in offer is nice insurance if it doesn't sell before delivery date of the Tesla!

Later,

Keith

1 - 20 of 23 Posts