GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took delivery of a 2013 Volt on Friday, and so far it's been fantastic other than this one issue: The rear hatch button has been flaky, requiring me to feel around a bit on the button and press it various ways to get it to work. This morning it flat-out refuses to work at all, and it felt like there was more travel, like maybe something had come loose under the cover. It does not matter how much or how long I press on it, whether the car is running or not, or whether it is locked or not.

I assume I will need to get the button replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? From what I have seen searching on here, that button is basically the one "normal" way to get the hatch to open. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yeah, you need that button to access the trunk with any reasonable convenience. If the car is locked, a bad fob battery can make the button unresponsive, but it sounds like you ruled that out by trying it unlocked. I would have a dealer fix it. If the car is still under the 3/36 warranty, it would be covered.

I have the same problem on a different car and it can be a big headache when the hatch won’t open. Also has been hard to get it fixed because it is intermittent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a CPO, so I believe I have a 12mo/12k bumper to bumper warranty. It is agonizing to take it to the dealer and lose the car for a day over such a minor issue.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Even if you bought it used it is covered by the factory warranty, which is 3 yr, 36K miles from date of original sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is under 36K (barely) but over 3 years. Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
1) You could try taking the switch out and see if you can repair it, or 2) you could order a new switch (or maybe ebay) and replace the old one yourself, or 3) you can have the dealer replace it (assuming they have the part readily available).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a service manual? I'd be interested to know the part number (and possibly other stuff.) TIA!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The switch is a very simple momentary contact pressure switch. In theory it is trivial to fix, but I don't know how difficult it is to get access to remove it, or how much the parts cost is. My guess is that one or both of those would make it worth having it done under warranty. Maybe wait until you need something else done at the same time if you can live with it for now. I personally use my cargo area regularly and might have something there that would be an inconvenience for me if I could not get access to it easily, like my luggage upon arriving at the airport, etc. Of course, you can get things in and out through the side doors in most cases if you had to.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Anyone have a service manual? I'd be interested to know the part number (and possibly other stuff.) TIA!
It's pretty easy to find the liftgate electric switch PN and cost. Google "chevy volt parts list".

·
Registered
43 Posts
The body control module (BCM) supplies a reference voltage to the liftgate handle switch through the rear closure handle switch open signal circuit. When the liftgate handle switch is operated, the rear closure handle switch open signal circuit is grounded through the liftgate handle switch ground circuit and the reference voltage is pulled low within the BCM.

In response, the BCM applies battery positive voltage to the liftgate release relay control circuit, which energizes the coil side of the liftgate release relay. The switch side of the liftgate release relay then closes, supplying battery positive voltage through the relay and the liftgate latch control circuit activating the latch so that the rear hatch may be manually raised to an open position.

In order to replace the switch if its the fault, the lower cover on the rear hatch would have to be removed, if you can get the liftgate latch open.

the dealers scan tool can operate the rear liftgate release relay, and would diagnose this, but as barry mentioned it is a momentary push switch. If you could access the wiring at the S46 liftgate switch connector I'd "jumper" out the connector( yellow/ blue is the supplied voltage side and black wire is ground) this is what pushing the switch does.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to open the hatch again on my lunch break and the switch assembly pushed up into the liftgate. I imagine the switch is probably fine, and it's a broken clip. In any case, I discovered there is an open recall on my car, so I will have two things for the dealer to look at. Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts