GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else with a 16/17 had problems getting the trunk to latch? I don't want to slam the trunk so hard I shatter the windows (or generally abuse the car or make noise), but if I don't, about 90% of the time it doesn't completely latch and I get a notice when I start the car.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Has anyone else with a 16/17 had problems getting the trunk to latch? I don't want to slam the trunk so hard I shatter the windows (or generally abuse the car or make noise), but if I don't, about 90% of the time it doesn't completely latch and I get a notice when I start the car.
Check for some rubber stoppers on the hatch portion towards the rear of the hatch. The Gen 1 Volt has adjustable stoppers...Gen 2 probably does too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh, that's a good thought....I noticed that my hatch often doesn't close properly when closing with its own weight and I had to give it a bit more of a push than I liked....will check and see if I can adjust the stoppers and if that fixes the issue....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, my 17 has this issue too. I adjusted the stoppers and it helps but still gotta slam it pretty hard to close the dang thing!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh, that's a good thought....I noticed that my hatch often doesn't close properly when closing with its own weight and I had to give it a bit more of a push than I liked....will check and see if I can adjust the stoppers and if that fixes the issue....
Also check the latch itself. It may be loose or mis-aligned. Mine latches every time by just letting it drop from about 8 to 10 inches.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, my 17 has this issue too. I adjusted the stoppers and it helps but still gotta slam it pretty hard to close the dang thing!
Could be because the Volt is quite air-tight. Will the hatch close by just dropping it, if one of the doors is open?

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 2012 had this issue. The only solution I had was slamming the trunk closed. Luckily it isn't my problem anymore :)

No issues with this on my 2017.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the stoppers you refer to the bumpers located about halfway up the trunk lid, on the sides? Mine were all the way tight, so if anything it should be over-closing... will try shutting with door open to see what happens.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are the stoppers you refer to the bumpers located about halfway up the trunk lid, on the sides? Mine were all the way tight, so if anything it should be over-closing... will try shutting with door open to see what happens.
Those sound like the right ones. But they aren't halfway up they are closer to the end. As you rotate them you will hear them click. Seems this has helped my trunk closing a bit, but it may also be a placebo effect because I kind of got used to the closing action before this thread started.

Max: I'd try backing the stoppers out a few turns, maybe because they aren't even making contact it's making the closing less reliable? When you trunk is closed is the trunk flush with the body trim? If the trunk sits a few mm below the trim line then I think adjusting the spacers will help regardless.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opening the door *does* appear to help, a lot. And anyone sitting in the car while someone shuts the trunk can verify that there's definitely an air pressure event going on, as suggested. (you can feel the pressure on your eardrums)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep. I had my rear window down the other day, and closed the hatch, and it slammed itself shut with very little effort. It's all about the air pressure. This car is seriously airtight.

Let a little go, and the hatch should latch right up. I also adjusted the stoppers. That seemed to help a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts