GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just paid to get a 2014 Volt transferred to my area. I love my carmax warranties when you really need them. Basically bumper/bumper and I will have 5y/125k miles left for $2500. Better than any factory warranty IMO.

Now to the question. Is the Volt usually maintenance free? I'm not talking about tires and oil changes. I'm talking about $200+ repairs. Has anyone reading had enough breakdowns to pay for the $2500 warranty?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Now to the question. Is the Volt usually maintenance free? I'm not talking about tires and oil changes. I'm talking about $200+ repairs. Has anyone reading had enough breakdowns to pay for the $2500 warranty?

Thanks!
Yes, I had an extended warranty. Yes, I had a $200 repair under it before it expired. So pay $2500 to save $200, lol.

7 years and 96k miles on my Volt. I did not get the extended warranty for my Bolt.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I am a gambler when it comes to extended warranties. I don't buy them. My feeling is that the manufacturer's warranty will cover the infant mortality situations and that his design, especially with the Volt, will be durable enough to get me many miles of trouble-free driving. Also, it would be my luck that whatever broke would be one of the items excluded from coverage. That was my daughter's friend's experience many years ago with a brake problem.

Did you read the fine print that describes what will be covered and what will be excluded with your $2,500 policy? Is it really better than the Volt warranties? Could you give us an example?

EDIT: No problems with my Volt in over 77,000 miles of driving. The design is solid.

·
Registered
491 Posts
118,500 on my 2011. The “skillsaw wind down” bearing issue. A couple of failed evse . A failed on board high voltage battery charger. All covered by GM on the 8/100 warranty. Otherwise 3 oil changes and some tires out of pocket. Brakes still look plenty good, ride and handling like new. The drivers side floor mat is the only weak link I have exposed. Wore a hole through it at 80,000.
Save your money.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
My three Volt's owned since March 2012 have been the most trouble free vehicles I have ever owned. For my 2017 aside from an oil change/tire rotation and three recalls (all of this was done during one 3 hour visit to my local dealer) my 2017 Volt after 21 months and 17K+ miles has been TROUBLE FREE. Not a rattle, squeak, fit or finish issues. Even the wiper blades work perfectly.

I have ZERO ISSUES or COMPLAINTS with my 2017 DD Volt. And my GOM is sitting at 65 miles and the last few times the ICE has run I'm getting 45+ MPG.

And yet no one is contacting me to ask my opinion about my Volt ownership. Best kept secret in America.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Shockingly so. But that's one data point. By the numbers it's better than average but not at the top.

My extended service plan is still in effect but I rather doubt it will pay for itself. However, and this is the point of the service plans, you're trying to avoid the unusual and very expensive repair. It's not to avoid a few $200. More like a couple of $2000 repairs. Basically it's an insurance product not a prepaid service plan. In this regard, note the drive train warranty will cover some (most?) of the expensive repairs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Shockingly so. But that's one data point. By the numbers it's better than average but not at the top.

My extended service plan is still in effect but I rather doubt it will pay for itself. However, and this is the point of the service plans, you're trying to avoid the unusual and very expensive repair. It's not to avoid a few $200. More like a couple of $2000 repairs. Basically it's an insurance product not a prepaid service plan. In this regard, note the drive train warranty will cover some (most?) of the expensive repairs.
Aye. I've been wrestling with whether to get a GM extended warranty on my gen 2 in its first year, but I've largely come to the conclusion that the 8 yr/100k mi Voltec warranty will cover most of the really painful items, the 5 yr/60k mi powertrain covers some other big ticket components, so I'm really only buying "ease of mind" on a lot of largely "inexpensive" components for ~3-5 years (assuming I splurge for an 8 yr warranty). That's not a lot of coverage for the ~$1600-1900 they seem to go for at the cheapest for the longer term plans.

I think I'm going to roll the dice on mine, as it's so far been trouble free in its first 4 months.

Gen 1s are at least as reliable as Gen 2's, so I'd be less inclined to spend ~20% the car's current transaction price to protect against the possibility of some repairs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
MY 2014 with 106,000+ miles. Beyond scheduled maintenance, I've had no issues other than the front wheel bearing "click". That was an $80 fix. The Volt has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It depends on the mileage. If you still have lots of miles left in the voltec warranty, I'd say that extended warranty is a waste of money. But if you're over 100K or close, go ahead and get it. Any kind of repair of the battery system is going to be expensive, and you'll be lucky to avoid one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I did not have an extended warranty on my 2013. Passenger airbag sensor was faulty last year (2017). Cost to replace was ~$700 US. Although it was a big hit at the time, it was still cheaper than an extended warranty.

Segment 3 on one of my 2013s had to be replaced but that was under the 8/100k Voltec warranty.

Also replaced the 12v battery in both of my 2013s and also the tires on both.

Other than that, I think that was about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really, in 100K miles:
- we had to replaced the entire steering column twice.
- replaced both front control arms of the suspension.
- replaced the AUX battery twice
- replaced the entire exhaust system once.
- various minor trim issues (trim is very cheap in these cars)
- now need to replace the wiring harness (~$7K)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Dunno what was done before I got it, but outside of warranty and maintenance items (tires, oil change, battery), the only thing I've paid for was a new shifter handle when the mechanism inside that presses the interlock broke. That was about $150 and I got to drive around for ten days without a handle because the part was apparently a pain to get. The maintenance items have been cheaper than prior car because I'm NOT getting four oil changes and a coolant flush per year, and transmission fluid, and plugs and wires every other.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had my 2014 for about 15 months. I'm now at ~50000 miles. About a month ago it displayed a high voltage charging fault and would not allow me to charge the battery from the grid. Other than that, it was running fine. The dealer fixed in about three hrs by re-flashing the computer's memory. There was no mechanical problem. It cost me about $150. (I didn't push the warranty issue. I had to get to work.) The time wasted at the dealer was more annoying than the cost of the repair. (I don't fault them; they were pretty busy.)
That's the only problem I've had.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Mine hasn't been maintenance free. In the month that I owned it (2013), I've washed it twice, waxed it once, cleaned all the rubber with Maguiar's vinyl and rubber restorer and cleaner, wipe down the interior with same, painted a chip on the passenger's B pillar (brush touch up then spray with satin black trim paint) and I still have to remove wheels to clean and wax and paint the calipers and caliper mounting brackets with caliper red paint and wheel hubs in silver. After all that is done hopefully it will be maintenance free for a while. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
In 4.5 years and 43,000 miles:

One key fob replaced under warranty
Rear hatch struts replaced under recall
Two oil changes
One tire replaced (curb damage)
Two tire rotations (I know, should have been done more often, but they are wearing evenly)
Added about a pint of coolant to the battery reservoir when they changed the spec

It has been a very trouble free and low maintenance vehicle.

It will need the 5 year coolant service soon.

My wife (the primary driver) is still in love with it. I keep trying to talk her into a new one, but she won't hear of it. She isn't a fan of the styling... she likes the unique look of the Gen 1.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Excluding tires/oil changes/regular consumables, I've only spent something like $14 in 4 years.
Caliper sliding pin was corroded and sticking. Bought a new one.
I now regularly clean and re-lube the pins twice a year (every time I switch to/from all-seasons/winters) when the wheels are off.
Provided I don't let another one stick and grind through the pad/rotor, the brakes will last the life of the vehicle. Only doubt is if they corrode too badly in a few years and need to replace calipers when even regular cleaning/lubing won't prevent sticking.

All the expensive bits are A-ok.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2013 just under 60k, purchased new. I have changed the oil twice. (I did the first change early on purpose). I am on my second set of tires. First set lasted 56k. The dealer replaced the air dam for a shorter one for free and they also swapped the mirror caps for the style that fix the windows down buffeting issue for free.

The only money I have spent on the car outside of that is: Husky liner floor mats, window tint all around including clear on the windshield to block heat.

I'm considering a 240v charger. So far the factory charger is all I have used.

The Volt is the best daily driver I have ever owned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had my 2012 since new (62K miles now), still running the original windshield wipers, although the passenger side is starting to make noise as of late. Still running the original 12V battery too. Beyond the recalled items replaced/installed, only had the master cylinder, door entry buttons and EVSE replaced (under warranty). Oh, and last summer got the service high voltage system. One of the hoses to the battery cooling system was leaking slightly, and the dealer said they needed to replace the coolant sensor to clear the error. This was also covered under warranty.

Except for consumables, no out of pocket expenses, and two of the tires made it to 60K. One tire had an unrepairable (sidewall) leak, the other is still in the garage for a spare. Not trouble free, but pretty low cost.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
In 62,000 miles my 2013 has needed
30 key fob batteries
1 fresh air filter
2 EVSE replacements under warranty (one was stupid and I had to get it replaced to keep the warranty)
And 2 tires recently
Along with a few oil changes

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Did you mean 3 fob batteries?
30 is a ton! Basically a new one every two months...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts