GM Volt Forum banner

Has the center stack/console ever frozen or rebooted?

• 2011 without nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011 without nav YES center stack intermittenly freezes/reboots

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2011 w/Nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2011 w/Nav YES center stack intermittently freezes/reboots

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2012 without nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • 2012 without nav YES center stack intermittenly freezes/reboots

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 2012 w/Nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • 2012 w/Nav YES center stack intermittently freezes/reboots

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 2013 without nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • 2013 without nav YES center stack intermittenly freezes/reboots

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • 2013 w/Nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 2013 w/Nav YES center stack intermittently freezes/reboots

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • 2014 without nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • 2014 without nav YES center stack intermittenly freezes/reboots

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • 2014 w/Nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • 2014 w/Nav YES center stack intermittently freezes/reboots

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 2015 without nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 2015 without nav YES center stack intermittenly freezes/reboots

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 2015 w/Nav NO problems with center stack

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 2015 w/Nav YES center stack intermittently freezes/reboots

Votes: 28 14.1%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been numerous threads about problems with the Volt's center stack controls and display freezing up, locking on the "initializing" screen, and rebooting whilst driving the car. My anecdotal observation has been that this seems more common in 2013 Volts equipped with navigation. This survey is intended to quantify how prevalent this issue truly is.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Yes, it appears to be normal, goes away after powering the car down and restarting. I think it happened to me twice in the first few months of ownership, but not since a center console software update. My volt was built on Feb 2013 and I bought it in Oct, updated it in Nov 2013.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I didn't vote but our 15 with nav rebooted once that I know of.
I was looking at it as a one time (so far) event, so I don't think it's fair to describe it as an intermittent issue/problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 13 without Nav has rebooted 3 times in 2 years. In my book that is not frequent enough to warrant a vote as an "intermittent" problem so I did not vote.

Mike

·
2,358 Posts
There have been a couple of occasions when it's been a little slow to boot up initially...maybe a few extra seconds. But once it's on never any problems with freezing or rebooting.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Didn't vote because it only happened once. My 2013 froze while computing Navigation directions, changing the climate control temperature and playing Bluetooth audio at he same time. The problem cleared after a reboot.

I notice though that some friends who also have Volts seem to have problems more consistently. We have speculated that it may have something to do with the Bluetooth and the model of phone one uses. I use a Samsung Note 3 Running android 5.0, many of them use iphones and one even uses a Blackberry and an iPhone at the same time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for setting up this poll. The only thing I would add is the length of the trip. Our 2013 with NAV has center stack problems mainly on long trips of 100 miles or more. If you stay on electric mode there is usually no problem. This is noted in several threads and electric mode only users may not have noticed the problem yet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, because it doesn't like my iPhone and certain apps. It's most annoying. I hope the 2017 model solves this as I hope to upgrade next year when incentives are back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My 14 with NAV froze once about a year ago when I was pushing buttons like a mad man trying to set some things up. Has never frozen again so I voted that it hasn't frozen at all. Certainly not frequently enough to be an issue.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I decided not to answer because of the strange phrasing of the answer choices. You ask, Has the center stack every rebooted / froze up. The answer choice is yes, it intermittently ... This implies a constant infrequent problem. It happened to me once. It is not "intermittent".

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
My 2013 stack with no Nav reboots occasionally...perhaps 2 times a year. Last week it froze up. so i had to manually reboot with while stopped at a red light via the configuration menu..I find issues with center stack usually happen when i'm playing music via iPhone connected to the volt's USB port. Under such circumstances the Volt tries to take over the iPod functionality....I'm looking forward to a car which supports apple carplay or google auto. Let the phone/device do the work..not the center stack.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last week it froze up. so i had to manually reboot with while stopped at a red light via the configuration menu.
Where in the configuration menu do you go to reboot the stack manually? I've been looking for that.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided not to answer because of the strange phrasing of the answer choices. You ask, Has the center stack every rebooted / froze up. The answer choice is yes, it intermittently ... This implies a constant infrequent problem. It happened to me once. It is not "intermittent".
The intention of the survey is to quantify those who experience this intermittently so your response should be "No" if it was just once.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Nope. The only funny thing that ever happened was when I started up the car, all the readouts were in a language that was not listed as one of the options. I went in, selected English and the car has been good ever since.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope. The only funny thing that ever happened was when I started up the car, all the readouts were in a language that was not listed as one of the options. I went in, selected English and the car has been good ever since.
The default is Klingon.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
The default is Klingon.
That would have been a great Easter egg to have Klingon as the very last language after scrolling through the entire list

·
Registered
192 Posts
That would have been a great Easter egg to have Klingon as the very last language after scrolling through the entire list
I believe there's only a few thousand people that know how to speak and read Klingon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're also Volt owners. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have had it happen 3 times with my 2013. Two of those times it worked after turning the car off and back on. One of those times it would not correct itself without pulling the power to the 12V battery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had this happen twice in my 2015 without nav. Both times was when I had my Iphone plugged into the USB to charge. It went black for maybe 20 seconds or so and rebooted itself.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts