GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Volt & practically to any new car. My last car was a 2000 Honda Civic :)
So why did GM provide a timer function inside the Instrument Cluster/Driver Information Center? Is that standard on other models of Chevy /GM/ Other car manufacturers?
Can't think of any use for it, other than timing how long the wife takes shopping at the Mall, while I sit in the car playing music (I hate mall shopping :) )

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Perhaps you are referring to the delayed timing function for charging. I am not familiar with the Gen 2. However, I bet you can find it in the manual pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...uals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf

DIC Information Display Options:
[...]
Timer:
This display can be used as a timer. To start the timer, press ✓ while this display is active. The display will show the mount of time that has passed since the timer was last reset. To stop the timer, press ✓ briefly while this display is active and the timer is running. To reset the timer to zero, press and hold ✓ while this display is active.
That is indeed an odd one. I can't think of a reason why you would put this feature in a car.

Maybe it's something that mechanics would use while doing some kind of testing or maintenance that has to be done for a certain amount of time??? Idk.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think it is so you can compare wait times at the McDonald's drive through window compared to Wendy's.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
A timer is useful for car rallying. (Last time I did one was in the 1970s, while in college.) My '86 Porsche has a timer built into the clock module. In 29 years of ownership, I've never actually used the feature for anything useful.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
New to the Volt & practically to any new car. My last car was a 2000 Honda Civic :)
So why did GM provide a timer function inside the Instrument Cluster/Driver Information Center? Is that standard on other models of Chevy /GM/ Other car manufacturers?
Can't think of any use for it, other than timing how long the wife takes shopping at the Mall, while I sit in the car playing music (I hate mall shopping :) )
I haven't tried the Volt timer yet but, in my 2006 Pontiac van that timer only runs while the engine is running. It would be nice if it did that in the Volt so we could have and hour meter for the ICE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I commute in city with various possible routes. I use the timer over the course of weeks to see which route gives me the best results.
Definitely not needed, but since it's there already, thought I'd give it some use.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not uncommon. All my Mercedes and Jaguars had it.
The car to keep track of time and distance to provide average speed info, so they are just giving it to you. I have used it to keep track of how long I have been driving, and help discipline me for rest/coffee breaks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a Jetta that had that feature and I loved it. It would start from zero every time you turned on the car. I knew exactly how long it took me to get everywhere. Most people say everything is 5, 10 minutes away, but I had a realistic timeframe. I actually have wished my other cars had it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a Jetta that had that feature and I loved it. It would start from zero every time you turned on the car.
That would be helpful, but on the volt it doesn't. It always remains at 0, unless you select and start it, hence my question about this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use it often to compare various routes between two points.

After a few times I know which one is faster.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just noticed the "following distance in seconds" feature that is next after the timer. Kinda cool. Kinda useless.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I use the stop-watch feature on my phone occasionally. Use the count-down feature more. Never used one built-in to a car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a Jetta that had that feature and I loved it. It would start from zero every time you turned on the car. I knew exactly how long it took me to get everywhere. Most people say everything is 5, 10 minutes away, but I had a realistic timeframe. I actually have wished my other cars had it.
I miss that on my Jetta as well. Been adapting to guessing about how long it took now...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
* measuring 0-60 times
* measuring how long a drive takes to compare routes
* measuring time between ERDTT cycles (to optimize heat settings)
* accuracy in preparing soft-boiled eggs

·
Registered
402 Posts
My '11 Golf has one that starts automatically when you start the car, and then resets whenever the short-term trip computer is reset. It's good for drive times for trips, if you want to know them. The difference here is that you apparently choose when to start the timer, which is both more versatile and more work. Who knows why they did it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts