GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using the fob to open the windows? If so, do you know how to close the windows other than having to get back in the car, start the car and then roll the windows up?
I was showing off the opening the windows with the fob to others, and I thought this was a neat feature, until some smartas*, asked if I could roll them back up with the remote fob. Apparently, I couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Anybody with pockets has rolled down all the windows with the fob. They've possibly not realized it, either but climbed in the car, stated it, and rolled all the windows back up manually.

Welcome to Volt ownership ;)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Has anyone tried using the fob to open the windows?
Yep, every day in the summer. Walking to the car I open the windows and remote start to get the AC going.

Some brands will allow you to roll the windows up with the remote, but it requires two things:
1 - All the windows must have anti-pinch mechanisms, which the Volt on has on the driver's window (generally, windows that don't have one-touch auto-up from the window buttons don't have anti-pinch), and
2 - A mechanism that requires you to be close to the car. In some (like Mercedes) there's an IR sensor on the door handle. On others, like my old Jaguar, you had to put the key in the door, twist and hold to close everything up.

Federal regs require the driver to be at the car, so you can (presumably) see all the windows and stop the closure if someone gets their neck in the window, or starts screaming ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In Europe you can leave the windows and sunroof open (all or partly) and on many cars, if the rain sensor picks up rain, the car will close all the windows and sunroof. Here, the Feds don't allow anything to close unless the driver is standing AT THE CAR.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes I have rolled them down remotely. You must roll them up in the car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Has anyone tried using the fob to open the windows? If so, do you know how to close the windows other than having to get back in the car, start the car and then roll the windows up?
I was showing off the opening the windows with the fob to others, and I thought this was a neat feature, until some smartas*, asked if I could roll them back up with the remote fob. Apparently, I couldn't figure it out.
there isn't any way to remotely wind up the windows using the remote key fob, it is a safety issue,and all windows have to be manually raised one window at a time

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
you may want to re-program the car to NOT do that next time you get a software update.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You can't put the windows up with the key fob.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
you may want to re-program the car to NOT do that next time you get a software update.
On the Gen 2 Volts there is a config menu in the vehicle settings to set this feature on or off. No dealer required.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Some owners with too much crap in their pockets and careless handling of fobs have rolled down all the windows with the fob. They've possibly not realized it, either but climbed in the car, stated it, and rolled all the windows back up manually.

Fixed.
I have never unintentionally activated this feature (nor the alarm/panic button), and I have pockets :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Anybody with pockets has rolled down all the windows with the fob. They've possibly not realized it, either but climbed in the car, stated it, and rolled all the windows back up manually.

No, just no. Plenty of people with keys in their pockets have never accidentally activated this feature.
Do you really think someone entering their vehicle with all windows down would just roll them back up out of some kind of habit not giving it a second thought? LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never unintentionally activated this feature (nor the alarm/panic button), and I have pockets :)
Neither have I.
Of course my key ring consists of one small Swiss Army Knife attached to the corner of the key fob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love my volt, especially the ability to start the AC/Heat with my phone.
One thing that would really be great is the ability to roll-up / close the windows remotely. I often leave them down an inch or so when it’s hot, however when an afternoon thunderstorm rolls in, it would be nice to not have to sprint out in the rain to close them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts