GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Volt came with Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17 tires. Other than needing to be replaced after only about 30,000 miles, I've been really happy with them. I'm thinking about just buying the same tires, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Would love to get very similar tires that maybe lasted a bit longer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
Lots of threads on this forum to check out with different tire recommendations. I was tired of the OEM “nail magnets“ when I changed my tires in January with 42k miles on them ( not totally done, but I never take them that low in tread).

I considered the new OEM tire line that included self seal, to minimize flats (Bolt uses them), but I saw several comments about special repair techniques needed and that many tire places won’t do it.

Ended up getting Bridgestone run flats. Costco guys said they don’t recommend it because of the range drop. Yes I did get a range drop for the first couple of months or so, as with any new tire. 5-8% For the first couple of months.

Now that the tires are broken in and it’s warmer I’m getting a MPGe of about 130 ( city/backroad driving @ >70 F) so range loss is minimal.

The tires are 8 lb heavier than the OEM tire and I find they feel much sturdier and behave much more substantial than the OEM tire.

One additional advantage that this tire has is that it is had a load rating of 95, vs the 91 of the OEM. when you look at the load rating curve for this tire, it can safely support the car down to about 20 psi. I normally run the tire at 40 psi for maximum range but in a slow leak condition, you can run a lot further on the road without overloading the tire. The tire can run for 50 miles at 80 mpg with no air but that pretty well destroys the tire. This is the same range allowed for spare tires.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I also had to replace my OEM tires early. I'm on Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires now. No loss of range and a hell of a lot better in rain, slush, and snow.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The OE tires lasted 53k miles for me on my 2014. I replaced them with Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. These have lasted 68k miles so far. I may get another 2-5k miles before replacing them. However, if I make a cross-country trip this year, I will definitely replace them before making the trip.

The PureContact LS has the same tread wear rating of 700 that the EcoPlus Technology tires have, so, I would expect to get 70k from them with my style of driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put (4)Yokohama Avid Ascend GT Blue Earth Eco focus tires on our 2017 Volt LT and have been very impressed with all aspects of this tire over the OEM Michelins! They are better cornering, wet traction, dry traction and braking than the OEMs ever were, and they're V rated with a much longer trad warranty than Michelin. Highly recommended for the $$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts