GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In illinois, any vehicle that has a motor pretty much has to be tested every couple of years. The cars/trucks that do not have the computer in them have been exempted as they now read the computers log for errors.

Well, the VOLT has a motor/engine and it runs.
I had thought that I'd hear from the testing station but been over a year, no notice, not a hint of interest in the car.

Are we free from this test or is this an event I will enjoy later?

R

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I don't know what the Law is in Illinois, but Colorado exempts all new cars purchased in the state for five years from emissions testing. You may simply haven't reached testing age yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know what the Law is in Illinois, but Colorado exempts all new cars purchased in the state for five years from emissions testing. You may simply haven't reached testing age yet.
Iwas told here in CT it's 3 years

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually the first 7 years are exempt, years 8 through 11 only require an OBDC reading, with years 12 and older requiring the full test. Vehicles which are unable to use the full test will be given the ODBC test. I wonder how they'll handle the Volt, will they require use hold mode?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure about an EPA emissions testing, but down here in Texas (in most counties, iirc) they do an emission testing at the same time they do your state inspection as passing it is a requirement in order to renew your registration...

However, funny story, when I did my inspection just last month for my Volt, I think I was the first Volt the location has ever seen because I think the technician treated it as a full fledged EV as I was in and out much quicker than my Prius the year before, and there were a few oddities I noticed on my inspection report/with my vehicle post inspection (however I can't compare the report to last years as I threw it out once I renewed the registration, ha.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Actually the first 7 years are exempt, years 8 through 11 only require an OBDC reading, with years 12 and older requiring the full test. Vehicles which are unable to use the full test will be given the ODBC test. I wonder how they'll handle the Volt, will they require use hold mode?
When hood is open engine will run, mostly for this test. However keep in mind in order to pass such emission test the engine most likely need to be at full operating temp. Good idea to run on hold before the test.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
my problem was always the run flags as some test were never run -- I was 99% electric and only engine time was not moving.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mississippi has never had an automotive emission test of any kind . . . . ever. We used to have a two year 'inspection' which cost $5 and took less than 5 minutes - Check your lights, wipers and horn and you're done and you got a new sticker on the windshield. Two or three years ago, they gave that up and now we have . . . . nothing. You can now legally drive a car with bald tires, a broken windshield, no brake lights or horn and you won't get a ticket

Pretty scary when you think about the car coming at you in the other lane at 60 mph . . . . huh?

Don

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Mississippi has never had an automotive emission test of any kind . . . . ever. We used to have a two year 'inspection' which cost $5 and took less than 5 minutes - Check your lights, wipers and horn and you're done and you got a new sticker on the windshield. Two or three years ago, they gave that up and now we have . . . . nothing. You can now legally drive a car with bald tires, a broken windshield, no brake lights or horn and you won't get a ticket

Pretty scary when you think about the car coming at you in the other lane at 60 mph . . . . huh?

Don
Are you sure about that? No annual/biannual testing doesn't necessarily mean the police can't pull you over for something and then give you a fix-it ticket. In other words, Mississippi may have come to the realization it was costing too much for the safety inspections but didn't drop the safety requirements.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Are you sure about that? No annual/biannual testing doesn't necessarily mean the police can't pull you over for something and then give you a fix-it ticket. In other words, Mississippi may have come to the realization it was costing too much for the safety inspections but didn't drop the safety requirements.
Or they may have realized that not having inspections would give cops more excuse to pull cars over.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When hood is open engine will run, mostly for this test. However keep in mind in order to pass such emission test the engine most likely need to be at full operating temp. Good idea to run on hold before the test.
My question is centered around the fact the full test (i.e. using the dyno) is designed to simulate operating the vehicle under load. Since the Volts ICE engine is designed to generate power testing it on the dyno doesn't seem to have much value. The ICE engine behavior doesn't track the vehicle speed in the same way that a traditional ICE vehicles engine does. Thus I'm not sure how relevant the dyno test would be.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
My question is centered around the fact the full test (i.e. using the dyno) is designed to simulate operating the vehicle under load. Since the Volts ICE engine is designed to generate power testing it on the dyno doesn't seem to have much value. The ICE engine behavior doesn't track the vehicle speed in the same way that a traditional ICE vehicles engine does. Thus I'm not sure how relevant the dyno test would be.
Agreed, but it would be fun to watch the technician's face as the ICE lagged the dyno's instructions to the ECU.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In Texas, my 2011 got the new car exemption for two years and then has been inspected ever since. The Vehicle Emissions test is required in certain counties (high population) to ensure air quality. Since the Volt (like most modern cars) has On Board Diagnostic (OBD) which monitors the performance of the emissions system, no engine run or dynamometer is required. They just read the OBD codes and check for other safety equipment, lights, tire wear, etc. Pay your money and it is logged into the statewide system, and then you can pay for your annual registration.

Not sure why you would need a dynamometer test unless you have a Volkswagen Diesel, oh never mind they fixed it, so it would always pass :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish! Have this problem with IL right now. Had the high voltage charging error, had the dealer reprogram but this resets all of the monitors. I asked the volt techs what will happen on the retest and they didn't know. So I had it retested and naturally it didn't fail but would not pass because the monitors are not set. Their canned answer is to drive it for a week and then bring it back. I told them that the engine will not run in that week so it will fail again, but that's the script so am waiting the week. Anybody have any ideas??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not sure why you would need a dynamometer test unless you have a Volkswagen Diesel, oh never mind they fixed it, so it would always pass :)
The dynamometer test is little more than extra income for the state. The sales pitch for the dyno test is it measures emissions output of the vehicle in the same manner as the vehicle would be operated on the road. The vehicle is placed on the dynamometer and then run through various speeds for various lengths of time. It's supposed to be more thorough. It is for this reason that I question why the Volt would ever need to be tested on the dyno. The ICE engine will not alter its operation in the same manner as a traditional ICE vehicle based on the various speeds / load placed on the vehicle during the test.

Colorado also offers a second means of emissions testing and that is one of driving by any number of emissions vans that have been set up within the area. All one need do is drive by one of these emissions places and, if the vehicle passes, you do not have to get the dyno test performed. Given I could drive by one of these vans using electric power I could pass even if the ICE emissions would fall out of passing parameters (though I don't know if they would pass a vehicle if there were no emissions registered).

Then there's the fact emissions is only required in the more populous parts of Colorado. My family, who lives in the mountains, has no emissions testing requirements.

As it stands today hybrid vehicles eight years and older are required to have an OBD test without the requirement for the dyno test. While saving time at the emissions testing facility it unfortunately requires you to go to the testing facility. It eliminates the RapidScreen drive by option.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I wish! Have this problem with IL right now. Had the high voltage charging error, had the dealer reprogram but this resets all of the monitors. I asked the volt techs what will happen on the retest and they didn't know. So I had it retested and naturally it didn't fail but would not pass because the monitors are not set. Their canned answer is to drive it for a week and then bring it back. I told them that the engine will not run in that week so it will fail again, but that's the script so am waiting the week. Anybody have any ideas??

Run down the battery to 50%, then use Mountain Mode to force the ICE on. Run that way for a few days or so.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Just stop charging it? Take a nice scenic road trip to get about 100 miles of gas miles on the clock?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In California, the dyno test is only given on vehicles from model year 1999 and older. 2000 to present vehicles, including hybrids, only get their computer's data extracted via the OBD II port. It takes about 5 mins.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too had this same problem on my last inspection in IL. What I did was put it in hold mode for a couple of days and it passed with all sensors ready. It's a shame that IL makes you pollute to do the emissions test. I complained to the tech about this and he just ignored me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts