GM Volt Forum banner

Has anyone had their Blink charger serviced?

11218 Views 19 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  volt-me
Has anyone had to have their Blink charger repaired? I'm curious what your experience was like with Blink. My charger died a week ago today. By dead, I mean that it won't do anything. It won't charge the car, nothing appears on the screen, etc.. When I flip the circuit breaker off and back on, the screen will turn white for about half a second and then goes black and stays that way. I have called Blink 3 times now. The first two times I called, I was told that a level-2 tech would be calling me back. I am yet to receive a call. The third time, I was told that they are waiting on parts. I asked them what parts they were waiting for since no one has really done any troubleshooting (besides myself) and was told that they were waiting on a screen. The screen is not the problem, when I plug-in the Volt, nothing happens, the whole thing is dead! They didn't have a clue when someone may be calling me back. The best they could offer was that it should be within a few days. I'm sure glad that I'm not driving a Leaf!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
It failed because it's junk-junk-junk.
It's not a charger it's a cord with a contactor and a sensor circuit that detects the connection of the Volt charger.
Oh yea, did I mention JUNK.
The Volt is quality car. We should not be subjected to this crap.
Sorry.

Bill

· Registered
321 Posts
I have 2 Blinks and have had a technician out 4 times.

The first time was when the first blink started giving some kind of fault failure that was repaired by resplicing some wires that apparently fixed some kind of faulty moisture detection.

The second time was when the 2nd blink started exhibiting the same problem a few weeks/months later.

The third time was when the touch screen on my first blink started exhibiting phantom presses (canceling charges randomly) then finally not responding to my own presses. This was apparently caused by the housing being too tight against the edge of the screen.

Then I had a problem similar to yours (I think the screen just stayed white though). The technician that came out said it was a failed firmware upgrade, stuck a new SD card in it and it has worked fine since.

Maybe we are lucky in the Dallas area, but the technician has been quick to schedule, and fixed the problem quickly each time.

In any event the repairs were done quickly and downtime was minimal.

Our Leaf's Aerovironment EVSE has been in service a few months longer and not had any problems.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it's under warranty.

I haven't had any problems with mine in 2+ years other than (1) the wireless connection to the LAN didn't work in the initial setup and (2) a scheduled software board upgrade. The board upgrade was without issue and the wireless issue was sorted out pretty quickly.

The problem with the Blinks seem mostly to be software rather than hardware related.

· Registered
627 Posts
I had a problem with the wifi connection in the initial installation of my Blink EVSE. Worked fine when they installed it but stopped working shortly thereafter. They came back very quickly to install some extra hardware to allow the Blink to connect to my router via the house wiring and skip the wifi mode altogether. While there, they also replaced the SD card as a preventive measure because they'd had a rash of bad SD card problem with many of their Blink.

About a year and a half later, my Blink EVSE just failed out of the blue one day with no warning. The symptom sounded very similar to yours -> a dead screen upon bootup. I called them and they showed up literally the next morning and replaced the SD card and things worked again. They said the content of the old SD card was corrupted for some reason. They didn't have to diagnose the problem because they seemed to know exactly what the problem was. So I assume that they must have had a lot of other Blink EVSE with the same problem. I wonder if your problem is the same as this.

While they were at my house, they took the opportunity to replace some wiring inside the EVSE, too. They said they've seen many units with a problem with that wiring so they wanted to proactively just replace that wiring on my unit, too, while they were there, so they won't have to come back again due to that potential problem.

I live in Phoenix where they have an office here, so it seems to help with getting a quick response from them. They also offer 24-hour phone support, which I also like.

I got an email from them when it was close to the 2 year anniversary when I was supposed to be able to own the EVSE outright (I had it installed for free through the EV Project). They said that I have a choice to extend my term with the project for another year if I want. The advantage is that the EVSE will continue to be under their support and warranty during this extra year. The disadvantage is that the EVSE will continue to belong to them during this extra year and ownership won't transfer to me until the extra year is over. Seeing how the EVSE could just go bad 1.5 year after the installation, I opted to extend this extra year with them just so I can extend the support in case something goes wrong again. I figure it doesn't matter who the EVSE belongs to as long as it sits in my garage being used by me. And I don't have any plan to move any time soon.

· Banned
301 Posts
After nearly 2 years my Blink charger first started giving me problems about two weeks ago. A red screen would come on when I pluged in and then start beeping. About a week later it finally just died just like the OP said. I would recycle the power it would show the white screen then nothing.

The tech came out after 2 days and cut 3 wires and replaced a small eprom chip at the top. So far it has had no problems. I asked him what happened and he said it was a software problem that had something to do with the storms that moved through Texas recently. He said he has had to replace a lot of them. The whole thing took less than 20 minutes.

· Registered
145 Posts
My issue took several calls to Blink to get resolution and it seemed that it was that there were parts on backorder. I think it took 10 days to 2 weeks from initial discovery of the problem until final resolution which I did not find to be acceptable but what choice do I have in the matter since the charger is installed already.

· Registered
906 Posts
I dont own a blink EVSE, however it took blink close to a month to repair the 2 Public ones that went out of service here in columbus... the lady at the shopping center said she was calling blink every few days and told someone would be out within a day or two each time...
-Christopher

· Registered
1,237 Posts
I have had one at home for over a year. I had one problem with the touch screen not working, however, it did continue to charge. The issue was apparently a known one where the mechanism that controlled the touch screen was pushed against the inside contact. I called Blink and they had someone come out within a couple days. He replaced the touch screen components and also installed a firmware update. It has worked fine since. I guess I was fortunate to have a competent third party contractor in Northern Virginia. I don't think Blink has their own tech folks and has to rely on subcontractors to perform any repairs and maintenance.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
I've had mine for nearly a year with no problems . It gets double use because we charge two Volts on a daily basis.

A tech did come to the house last month to update software for it .

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after calling three times, I sent an email to Blink support asking what it takes to get an appointment made to have someone come out and look at my charger. I received a phone call the next day and he was out the following day (today). I don't know why no action was taken after any of my calls to support, but at least the email landed in the right hands. The problem turned out to be a failed SD card. The tech also replaced a couple of wire harnesses that are known to be problematic as preventive maintenance. The prox card reader, which is not used with the non-commercial installations, was also removed as it can through error codes if it fails. All told, he was here about 30 minutes and everything is working properly again.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It failed because it's junk-junk-junk.
It's not a charger it's a cord with a contactor and a sensor circuit that detects the connection of the Volt charger.
Oh yea, did I mention JUNK.
The Volt is quality car. We should not be subjected to this crap.
Sorry.

Bill
That's all that any EVSE L2 charges are (cords, contactors and circuits, that is, not junk). Up until this issue, I had absolutely no problems with my Blink charger. The hardware in the units used for home installations is the same as that is used in their commercial chargers, only with different software. I received mine as part of the EV Project and it was installed at no additional cost to me. Besides from their tech support being slow to respond, I am very pleased with my Blink charger.

· Registered
57 Posts
Had my charger for two years. The monthly statistics started to display erroneous information. i.e 30 charge events at the first of the month. Sent a note to tech support, they came out and re-terminated some connections inside the unit and replaced a chip. Other than that, no issues.

· Banned
289 Posts
Mine died after a power outage last year, they sent someone to fix it a few days later. I've never been a fan, the wifi blows, it crashed repeatedly during initial setup. I program the car for charging, I would never trust the blink. The online stats are useless, show hundreds of sub 1 second charge events. The whole thing is a scam and waste of tax money.

· Registered
627 Posts
I've had my Blink for over 2 years already. I opted to renew the coverage with Blink for another year instead of converting ownership over to me at the end of the 2-year period from the EV project (from which I got the Blink station installed for free). The catch was that they will continue ownership of the Blink for another year and continue to collect data from my Blink for another year. The advantage for me is that I will have continued warranty service coverage on the Blink for another year as long as they still own it. I figured why not, I'm not moving anywhere soon, so as long as I get to keep using it, what can it hurt to let them own it so long as they will warranty it for another year.

Well, in the last few weeks I had 3 incidents when a self test fault occurred (red screen with chirping alarm) and I had to unplug the Blink and replug the power cord in order to reset it. So I called them out for service and they came this morning (a couple of days later, not bad). They seem to know about the problem without having to test anything out, and the service tech proceeded to repair 2 cable connections. He said that they were poor connections to begin with (between a big and small wire), and the heat in AZ causes the connection to become loose over time when it gets hot in the summer time. He said cold weather places don't have this problem.

He basically removed the old connections, re-spliced the wiring and reconnected the wires and put on a plastic overwrap, then ran a cigarette fluid lighter over the plastic to shrink it down over the connection. It was done in about 5-10 minutes and he was on his way. I asked him why trying to reset the self-test fault screen (instruction said to touch the screen to attempt to reset the fault) didn't work, but unplugging and replugging the power connector work. He said that maybe unplugging and reconnecting the power plug worked because it took longer than the screen reset, giving the hot bad connection enough time to cool down and reconnect.

Anyway, I'm glad I opted to extend the warranty on my Blink unit for a third year for free. If I didn't, I would have had to pay Blink for this service call.

· Registered
820 Posts
I've had my Blink for over 2 years already. I opted to renew the coverage with Blink for another year instead of converting ownership over to me at the end of the 2-year period from the EV project (from which I got the Blink station installed for free). The catch was that they will continue ownership of the Blink for another year and continue to collect data from my Blink for another year. The advantage for me is that I will have continued warranty service coverage on the Blink for another year as long as they still own it. I figured why not, I'm not moving anywhere soon, so as long as I get to keep using it, what can it hurt to let them own it so long as they will warranty it for another year.

Well, in the last few weeks I had 3 incidents when a self test fault occurred (red screen with chirping alarm) and I had to unplug the Blink and replug the power cord in order to reset it. So I called them out for service and they came this morning (a couple of days later, not bad). They seem to know about the problem without having to test anything out, and the service tech proceeded to repair 2 cable connections. He said that they were poor connections to begin with (between a big and small wire), and the heat in AZ causes the connection to become loose over time when it gets hot in the summer time. He said cold weather places don't have this problem.

He basically removed the old connections, re-spliced the wiring and reconnected the wires and put on a plastic overwrap, then ran a cigarette fluid lighter over the plastic to shrink it down over the connection. It was done in about 5-10 minutes and he was on his way. I asked him why trying to reset the self-test fault screen (instruction said to touch the screen to attempt to reset the fault) didn't work, but unplugging and replugging the power connector work. He said that maybe unplugging and reconnecting the power plug worked because it took longer than the screen reset, giving the hot bad connection enough time to cool down and reconnect.

Anyway, I'm glad I opted to extend the warranty on my Blink unit for a third year for free. If I didn't, I would have had to pay Blink for this service call.
I also had mine serviced for the same thing. You know what the sad thing is; this is a known problem and they wait until it fails to fix it. Like you said it was quick and easy so they should do upon install or at the factory. Another case of greedy Blink hoping for these to last long enough for the warranty to expire so they can charge you to repair their factory defect!

BTW - At work we had 7 Blinks installed. 4 have needed service already (less than 6 mo old). I do not know the details on all of them but, one of those did have this exact problem.

· Registered
5 Posts
Yes the response was excellent. It would lock up and end of a charge and have to be cycled by turning on and off. I would like to say the public BLINK chargers are way overpriced and BLINK should change its name to EXXON 2. I mean $1.00hr rounded to the next hour 5 min grace. It could cost you $5 for a full charge VS gas at 3.15 gallon to go the same distance are they nuts why not just drive home on gas!!

· Registered
1,237 Posts
My Blink went out last Monday after working pretty much flawlessly for 14 months. Called Blink and they opened a ticket after some troubleshooting. Received a call the next day and their service subcontractor is coming out next Monday.

After powering down and leaving the unit off for a few minutes, the unit would display the Welcome logo for a couple seconds and then the unit shuts off. It will be interesting to see what the resolution is. Will post after site visit next Monday.

· Registered
1,237 Posts
The local subcontractor employed by Ecotality came by today to work on my Blink. Problem was a bad jumper. He replaced it and installed a new firmware update as well. Unit was back up and working in less than 30 minutes.

Other than being down for a week, I can't complain about the service from the Blink folks.

· Registered
80 Posts
Mine has this month decided to not have any response from the touch screen. It glows at night. I had new internet service installed a the end of July, but forgot about resetting the wireless network until about the third week in August when I logged into the blink network and found it did not have any data for August.

I set up the new wireless network settings in the blink and it was working fine until I guess September 1st. No more data after that and now the touch screen doesn't work. I was told when I called on Monday that it would possibly be more than a month before I heard from anyone. Fortunately it is still charging, at least so far.

I'm thinking that it tried to download an update of the software and it got corrupted. If I just hadn't setup the new wifi it may still be working today.

I think I may call the electrician who installed it and ask if he still does work for them and if he does, could I get him to schedule me an appt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.