GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks, I would like to install a 4G signal booster and it requires having a small antenna (pictured) installed on the roof. I am hoping I can somehow work it into the shark fin. Has anyone ventured into the guts? From what I could find on the net it may be possible, yet these were not Volts.
I figure that I would access it from the Rear Passenger light. So if anyone has removed that as well and can give some tips I would be much obliged.

Thanks
Jon IMG_3364.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Isn't the shark fin where the factory 4G antenna is located? Why add another one? Not being a wise guy...I actually don't know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I need a wise guy. If I can join them in some way I would definitely do that instead. That would be easier. I thought it was an antenna for Onstar or Sirus that would be totally different. Any help any direction is welcomed. So the question would then be: How do I tap into the 4G antenna? I have no idea where it begins.

Thanks

·
Registered
907 Posts
The antenna on your roof is 4G, used for OnStar and internet hotspot service (AT&T). And I'd bet there is already a booster there, since it's a long cable run to the radios. No I haven't opened it up.

The "booster" you hold, actually looks like Only the antenna to me. Which you already have. Attempting to tap into an antenna wire, especially directly at the "business" end, will only degrade the reception. The antennas themselves always must be tuned to the specific frequencies they work with.

It may be possible to replace the shark fin with a Larger antenna, but don't really know. Maybe a 2015 antenna could work (also AT&T 4G OnStar). Earlier models were not 4G.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The antenna on your roof is 4G, used for OnStar and internet hotspot service (AT&T). And I'd bet there is already a booster there, since it's a long cable run to the radios. No I haven't opened it up.

The "booster" you hold, actually looks like Only the antenna to me. Which you already have. Attempting to tap into an antenna wire, especially directly at the "business" end, will only degrade the reception. The antennas themselves always must be tuned to the specific frequencies they work with.

It may be possible to replace the shark fin with a Larger antenna, but don't really know. Maybe a 2015 antenna could work (also AT&T 4G OnStar). Earlier models were not 4G.
Thanks Ed, but the booster made by WeBoost is necessary where we live. I have it laid out in the car and already see a big boost in reception. AT&T is a joke in our neck of the woods and Verizon is practically the only option. By the way. These boosters really do make a huge difference in how well a phone and CarPlay work. I put a CarPlay unit in my truck and this booster and it helps big time.

Here is the unit I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RHMFPEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am also trying to work with the manufacturer for options. But would hope that I could by an adapter that would allow them to work as one. Or do the first option of slipping this little fella inside the fin. I kinda like the fin and don't want to change it out. It must be either my love of old Cadillacs or Jaws. There is something kinda '70s about it I dig.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is an update after speaking with WeBoost. I can keep the antenna on the inside and just need to find a metal spot to mount it or use the another antenna that I can mound near the rear window. So I think all is well. They just came out with a more powerful booster:

The reason these are worth it are if you use CarPlay or Android Auto in rural areas. They really need a strong 4G signal to worth a dang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts