GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how did it go? I mean, do you temporarily put it into "Mountain Mode" just to rev it up before the light turns green? Silent rev? Just wondering... I used to get people challenge me with my STOCK RSX. Note: I'M NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE TO DO THIS. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
From a stop, you are going to lose. Arrange it to start from a Roll, something above about 30 mph. Sport mode and hang on.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Unless it's a sport bike, you have a reasonable chance of "beating them" off the line, for a variety of reasons:

1) People have poor reaction time, so they miss when it goes green. Races are won or lost based on reaction time alone.
2) There is no clear "finish line" generally. Usually it's whoever can keep ahead of the other guy for longer, and then the loser generally breaks all the speed limits by blowing by the "winner" just to save ego.
3) Remember that there is no prize money, no gold trophy and no babes waiting for you just because you "won". When I used to own my Lotus Elise I turned down many a young teenager who wanted to "race" (real racing involves cornering, sorry) and I just didn't feel like it.
Edit 4) The instant torque will surprise a lot of people, so while they might blow by you around 45 MPH, you might leave them in your silent, emission-free "exhaust" right off the line.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait? I'm I hearing that Sport Mode isn't what it's cracked up to be??? :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
eat my electrons

Zeede:
"...then the loser generally breaks all the speed limits by blowing by the "winner" just to save ego."

Yup, happened to me. The speed limit was 45mph, so from stop at a light I zipped up to 45mph. I really wasn't "racing" but just wanted to feel the smooth firm acceleration. Then someone (in a civic I think) shot past me likely doing 70! They were stopped at the same light. All I could do was shake my head and smirk. :cool:

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Sport Mode+Low, with one foot on the brake, the other on the go pedal. Without the car revving sounds, you are in stealth mode. As soon as you release the brake, off you go. Fast.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've had a couple of times where someone has, without me knowing we were going to race, takes off the line to show how fast they are compared to me. It always happens on a 6 lane road with a decent amount of traffic lights, so you inevitably come up to the next light together. When this has happened, I do make it a point to show them that I can beat them off the line despite that they will easily pass me by around 40 MPH. We again inevitably end up together at the next light and they tend not to do it again because they look like the "blow past the person to save some ego" after the last experience.

I've never done it, but I imagine that a Volt running on pure battery could compete reasonably well if it was a very twisty course because it could accelerate out of the turns so quickly. Obviously there are practical limits, and it would be more fair to call the Volt's other mode the "Sporty" mode instead of "Sport".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Floored is floored, If you put it in Mtn. mode, all you're doing is burning gas like guy beside you. (I'll assume "guy", 'cause by the age of 16, most women have matured enough to think this was childish). My wife is still waiting for me to grow up!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Blew some kid in dad's Lexus off up to the speed limit one day. He blasted past after a couple hundred yards, Johnny Law nabbed him up the road. I drove by smiling like the Cheshire cat. Priceless! :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Blew some kid in dad's Lexus off up to the speed limit one day. He blasted past after a couple hundred yards, Johnny Law nabbed him up the road. I drove by smiling like the Cheshire cat. Priceless! :D:D:D
An experience one usually only dreams of ... I sure hope you played the lottery that day.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hmmm, with the ICE engine running, you can get up to 120kW of electric power to the motor B.
without, you will get about 100 to 105 kW of electric power to motor B. Only motor B turns to wheels when
you "floor it".

So, you get a 15% to 20% more torque on the traction motor if the ICE engine is turning when you floor it on a Volt.
(of course, if the traction control does not kick in).

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nearly 100% of the time, I drive close to the posted speed limit with slow starts and slow stops, trying to keep my green ball spinning in the center. However, several months ago, while on my way home from a day trip in which I had used up the "battery miles" in my 2011 Volt, I coasted up to a red light at the bottom of a long straight hill in "L" to gain some regen - - I was in the right lane. At the top of the hill, the traffic in the left lane must merge into the right lane, to then merge onto another highway. A big V-8 pickup truck behind me was irritated that I was coasting in "L" up to the red light and whipped into the left lane next to me with his big engine roaring. Normally I would ignore him and let it go, but that day I felt that I needed to teach the man a lesson. As soon as the light turned green, I pushed on the accelorator, just hard enough to stay a "nose" ahead of the pickup truck. I kept pushing until the truck backed off and pulled in behind my Volt about two-thirds of the way up the hill, I then glanced down at my speedodometer - - I was doing 65 in a 45 mph zone! I slowed down to the speed limit and merged onto the other highway and let the truck roar by me - - I just smiled, very thankful that no police were around! I've been a "good boy" since then!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sitting at a red light, already in sport mode, a white car pulled up alongside. When the light went orange this guy gave it some revs then dumped the clutch on green. I stood on it and kept nose to nose. Just had time to look across to see it was an M3, before the road forked when I'd hit 40 mph.

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is the most ridiculous and delusional thread I've seen on here. If you look over and see you're nose to nose with an M3, it's because the driver in the M3 was simply going about his day and had no idea some eco-turd next to him was racing.

Get a grip folks. The volt is SLOW. Very slow. Extremely slow. Merging-onto-the-freeway-might-kill-you slow. I still love the car for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie to myself about it's lack of power.

The only reason somebody might think it's fast is the torque available under 30mph, the fact that it's silent, and then there's the extremely low performance expectations of eco friendly cars. If you actually look at the numbers however, you'll see it's probably one of the slowest cars $40k can buy you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My MINI Cooper had a listed 0-60 of 10.5 seconds. That was with a manual transmission, which means that in reality, without trying to destroy my car, I could probably do a 0-60 of about 12 seconds.

THAT is slow. Still a lot more fun than driving my parents' Prius though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the most ridiculous and delusional thread I've seen on here. If you look over and see you're nose to nose with an M3, it's because the driver in the M3 was simply going about his day and had no idea some eco-turd next to him was racing.

Get a grip folks. The volt is SLOW. Very slow. Extremely slow. Merging-onto-the-freeway-might-kill-you slow. I still love the car for what it is, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie to myself about it's lack of power.

The only reason somebody might think it's fast is the torque available under 30mph, the fact that it's silent, and then there's the extremely low performance expectations of eco friendly cars. If you actually look at the numbers however, you'll see it's probably one of the slowest cars $40k can buy you.

Woah! You're pissed!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
jmX Way Off

jmX is completely wrong, but don't take my word for it:

"Quick and nippy in traffic, it proceeds with a silent, oozing surge of acceleration, like a downsized Rolls Royce Phantom"
- Motor Trend (2011)
"Which is to say there’s almost no waiting - and no downshifting - as it responds swiftly to throttle inputs."
- Car and Driver (2011)
"The 2013 Chevrolet Volt is surprisingly rewarding to drive. It accelerates quickly from a standstill on an effortless wave of torque typical of electric power, and behaves like a more potent hybrid when the all-electric mode runs out."
- Edmunds

1 - 20 of 58 Posts