GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me insane that I see it keep racing to the top of all these EV Lease deal web sites or general lease deal sites. It has got to be a scam, right? How come no one has caught on and stopped listing them on those very helpful sites?? Or has anyone done it? Does anyone have paperwork that shows a lease from them down near that price for a 2017 Volt with heated seats? Would be fun to take it to my dealer that's advertising $299/mo lease and have a good laugh with him (since I'm totally expected it to be impossible.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll agree about the $1,999 down, but they still advertise $145/mo (I think) with zero down, which is still pretty good with one that has the comfort package. I've heard they don't lease out of state, but I'm wondering if you could bug then enough that they would, in which case there are a handful of states that exempt tax on EVs & the Volt. So there would be tag, title, and lic fees and that $2500 rebate wouldn't apply, unless your state had one, mine doesn't, but does exempt tax. That $2500 rebate being rolled back into the price would only add a little under $70/mo to the price, especially if you were able to do a single pay lease and essentially get the money factor to zero. Sure the price goes up from the insane $85/mo claim... But to compare, the national offer is $299/mo plus a little over $3,000 due at signing... Total payments over $11,500 while the Quirk one would be like what, ~$7,800 (if you add back in the state rebate). That's still a decent amount cheaper...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
This is driving me insane that I see it keep racing to the top of all these EV Lease deal web sites or general lease deal sites. It has got to be a scam, right? How come no one has caught on and stopped listing them on those very helpful sites?? Or has anyone done it? Does anyone have paperwork that shows a lease from them down near that price for a 2017 Volt with heated seats? Would be fun to take it to my dealer that's advertising $299/mo lease and have a good laugh with him (since I'm totally expected it to be impossible.)
Doesn't include tax, fees...assumes a trade-in allowance rebate (at least it did last month) that most people probably won't qualify for, and is likely applicable on only 1 unit in stock.

I inquired about this very same deal, and when it came to the nitty gritty, the "$145/month, $0 down" advertised deal became $219/month, $0 down...and still might have assumed rebates that may or may not apply. Straight shooter dealership ended up getting the sale.

My cousin ended up leasing a leftover '16 from another dealership. Quirk may have been able to offer a '17 that was slightly cheaper (or not), but not without some back and forth which my cousin didn't have time for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to Quirk last week to inquire about the $145/month deal and it has so many little rebates and incentives and things that you may or may not be eligible for (along with the taxes, title, and fees that aren't included in that $145/month price), so it's almost impossible to get it for that price. Even getting it for less than $250/month is hard, which is as low as I was able to get it to go down to (although that was assuming I traded in my current car lease which has negative equity).

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Sounds like searching for a unicorn.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Back on topic (away from unicorns pooping rainbow ice cream cones) you can get the payment down to anything you want by putting $5k to $10k down on a lease. Make a big enough down payment and you get unlimited term, unlimited miles, no money factor, no residual, and no monthly payments. That's the true unicorn of car buying...walking up to a dealership with enough cash to buy whatever you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just leased a 2017 premium color, leather, with comfort package LT for 36 months, 10k miles a year for $1500.00 out the door (zero down, first payment, tax/title/etc.) and $205.00 a month thereafter from Quirk. I did not qualify for any of the special incentives such as conquest or loyalty. I'm happy with the price considering my home state (MA) is cutting me a check for $2500.00. I bought it from Quirk Chevy in Braintree.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I just leased a 2017 premium color, leather, with comfort package LT for 36 months, 10k miles a year for $1500.00 out the door (zero down, first payment, tax/title/etc.) and $205.00 a month thereafter from Quirk. I did not qualify for any of the special incentives such as conquest or loyalty. I'm happy with the price considering my home state (MA) is cutting me a check for $2500.00. I bought it from Quirk Chevy in Braintree.
Incredible deal, obviously not the $145/mo some are hoping for but the total lease at $6175 is a great deal especially without qualifying for incentives...Can you please share the experience, pretty cut and dry or did you need to heavily negotiate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Incredible deal, obviously not the $145/mo some are hoping for but the total lease at $6175 is a great deal especially without qualifying for incentives...Can you please share the experience, pretty cut and dry or did you need to heavily negotiate?
What'd they say the residual would be at the end of the lease? Trying to decide if I should lease one of these and buy it at the end (assuming the residual isn't too high) or to just finance a used 2012 or 2013.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just came back from Quirk Chevy, leased a 2017 base model for $6000 down and $95/month, including all taxes and fees. So the total out of pocket for the 3 years is $9420. Probably not the best possible deal, but it averages out to $261 per month (if you assume 0 down). That's better than my current $300/month lease for the 2013 base model Volt.

So, yes, the catch for the magic advertised lease is that you need to have a trade-in valued at at least $2000 and they don't include $2500 in "fees".

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Just came back from Quirk Chevy, leased a 2017 base model for $6000 down and $95/month, including all taxes and fees. So the total out of pocket for the 3 years is $9420. Probably not the best possible deal, but it averages out to $261 per month (if you assume 0 down). That's better than my current $300/month lease for the 2013 base model Volt.

So, yes, the catch for the magic advertised lease is that you need to have a trade-in valued at at least $2000 and they don't include $2500 in "fees".
Can I ask why you paid so much down? Why not pay $0 down, and keep that $6k in the bank? You save a little bit on interest charges, but I'd rather hold onto that $6k, even if it just ends up getting used for the monthly payments. If your Volt gets totaled, you're out that $6k.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Can I ask why you paid so much down? Why not pay $0 down, and keep that $6k in the bank? You save a little bit on interest charges, but I'd rather hold onto that $6k, even if it just ends up getting used for the monthly payments. If your Volt gets totaled, you're out that $6k.
Funny, I was going to ask why not just pay 100% for the car, no monthly payment, no money factor, no mileage limits, no lease turn in date. If one were to make a $300 payment every month (no matter whether it's a lease or a loan) that translates into $180K over 50 years. Plus it's really tempting to keep increasing that payment and upgrading to a nicer car as you start to earn more money (lots of people have a $600-900 per month truck payment). And then we're left scratching our heads wondering why we can't pay for kids college and don't have anything saved for retirement... Because you are driving it!!!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Funny, I was going to ask why not just pay 100% for the car, no monthly payment, no money factor, no mileage limits, no lease turn in date. If one were to make a $300 payment every month (no matter whether it's a lease or a loan) that translates into $180K over 50 years. Plus it's really tempting to keep increasing that payment and upgrading to a nicer car as you start to earn more money (lots of people have a $600-900 per month truck payment). And then we're left scratching our heads wondering why we can't pay for kids college and don't have anything saved for retirement... Because you are driving it!!!
Who has a $900 truck payment?! Might as well lease a Tesla for that money!

You and I are like yin and yang (is that right?). You out of the buy cheap school, and me out of the lease cheap as hell school. Nice to see there is balance in the universe. :p

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

Have you accepted delivery yet? If not they may still be time to apply a $1000 off private offer or at least look into a Costco deal which could be lower...Are you factoring in the $2500 Mass rebate in your numbers?

Multiple problem with large down payments for leases...Biggest thing is if your car gets totaled/stolen on day one, you're SOL on the down payment...Next while there are often discounts and/or no MF for what known as a "one pay lease", the current MF is pretty low...A lot of these Volt LT leases are totaling $7000 and $200/mo...I'd much rather have a monthly payment of $200/mo than pay let's go with $6500...Now if the MF worked out to 10% we'd rethink that...

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Who has a $900 truck payment?! Might as well lease a Tesla for that money!

You and I are like yin and yang (is that right?). You out of the buy cheap school, and me out of the lease cheap as hell school. Nice to see there is balance in the universe. :p
There are plenty of people who roll negative equity from their previous vehicles into a new decked out one and end up with a huge lease or loan payment. It happens semi-weekly on the Dave Ramsey radio show where lots of people have PhD's in DUMB.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Multiple problem with large down payments for leases...Biggest thing is if your car gets totaled/stolen on day one, you're SOL on the down payment...Next while there are often discounts and/or no MF for what known as a "one pay lease", the current MF is pretty low...A lot of these Volt LT leases are totaling $7000 and $200/mo...I'd much rather have a monthly payment of $200/mo than pay let's go with $6500...Now if the MF worked out to 10% we'd rethink that...
If you put in a 100% down payment there wouldn't be any lease at all. All cars have to be insured right (maybe there are some states out there that don't require insurance that I don't know about). I don't see any difference as if the car is totalled the insurance companies would pay out the value of the car, someone is always screwed in the deal. On a leased car with no down payment, you are likely upside down on the car and the finance company will come after you for the difference from what insurance pays and what the lease payout is. The larger the down payment, the more likely you walk away not owing them the difference.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
There are plenty of people who roll negative equity from their previous vehicles into a new decked out one and end up with a huge lease or loan payment. It happens semi-weekly on the Dave Ramsey radio show where lots of people have PhD's in DUMB.
Ah, like this guy. hahaha

I'm about to flip my 2nd leased car through Beepi. After it's all said and done, I should clear *only* $1k this time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts