GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a deposit on a 2019 Volt Premier!! Taking delivery in September.

I haven't even driven a Volt yet, but this is the car that makes the most sense to me. I currently spend about $500 a month on gas and I'm sick and tired of it.

I just recently joined this forum and I've been doing a lot of reading. I was going to get a used one but every time I went to see one that I saw listed on the net the car would already have been sold when I got there.

Joe

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm definitely considering. I haven't actually Ordered a car since 1981 though (my first new car). I like to look at them first. Feel them out. Work the deal. Haven't seen any MSRPs suggested for the 2019 yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I haven't even driven a Volt yet, but this is the car that makes the most sense to me. I currently spend about $500 a month on gas and I'm sick and tired of it.

I just recently joined this forum and I've been doing a lot of reading. I was going to get a used one but every time I went to see one that I saw listed on the net the car would already have been sold when I got there.

Joe
Do you know what the pricing is yet? My understanding is that they won't switch over to build 2019s until 8/20. Congrats.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm definitely ordering one as soon as GM makes me a Lemon-Law offer on my 2017 Volt.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Joe
You may have already done your research by the sound of it but here’s a few beginner Volt questions:

-how far is your daily commute?
-can you charge at work? At home?
-do you need to seat five people often?
-do you qualify for fed tax credit, state rebates (if available)?
-used gen 2s should be coming off leases in the plentiful. Sounds like you try, but perhaps call to reserve one?

·
Registered
518 Posts
What's wrong with your Volt that you are expecting a Lemon Law offer?
In the past 6 months, my '17 Volt has stranded me in the middle of traffic twice, been towed twice and has been in the repair shop for a total of over 70 days. It has had the Battery Energy Control Module replaced, the Drive Motor Generator Power Inverter replaced, the transmission replaced and the 12v battery replaced. I have 10 months left on my 3-year b-b warranty and am seriously afraid to drive it on the highway for fear of another catastrophic failure in the middle of traffic; let alone the fear of another multi-thousand dollar repair after the warranty expires.

I love the Volt (and LOVE my color) but this specific car just seems to have more than a few systemic problems.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If I were in the market for a new car, the 2019 Volt would be on my short list. The upgrade to the charger (2x charging speed) is a real plus over older models. Anybody know if they support a 110v charger at that charge rate? What EVSE comes with a 2019?

I recommend ordering Adaptive Cruise Control. Without that, my commute is brutal.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If I were in the market for a new car, the 2019 Volt would be on my short list. The upgrade to the charger (2x charging speed) is a real plus over older models. Anybody know if they support a 110v charger at that charge rate? What EVSE comes with a 2019?

I recommend ordering Adaptive Cruise Control. Without that, my commute is brutal.
The 7.2kW on-board charging capability will be standard on the 2019 Volt Premier and optional on the 2019 Volt LT. The electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) is external to the vehicle. If you charge using a level 2 EVSE you will be able to charge at up to 230V and 32 amps. A level 1 (120V) EVSE is currently included with every Volt, Bolt vehicle too. This EVSE has a NEMA 5-15 plug and is limited to 12 amps. (If you wire the OE EVSE to a 230V outlet it will work but this is not supported by GM, when used with 230V power the OE EVSE is still limited to 12 amps.)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I wouldn't anticipate any change to the included EVSE. Nor any additional ability of the car to accept more than 12A @120V.

Would be nice though. Especially given the new gen 2 "mobile connector" that Tesla provides on the model 3.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know what the pricing is yet? My understanding is that they won't switch over to build 2019s until 8/20. Congrats.

The Premier with the options I ordered will be around $45,000 Canadian before the gov't incentives. I still have to buy the home charger (looking at the Juice Box model--it's in my Amazon basket ready to click 'order')

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may have already done your research by the sound of it but here’s a few beginner Volt questions:

-how far is your daily commute?
-can you charge at work? At home?
-do you need to seat five people often?
-do you qualify for fed tax credit, state rebates (if available)?
-used gen 2s should be coming off leases in the plentiful. Sounds like you try, but perhaps call to reserve one?

I commute 30 km each way.
I will charge at home and I can charge at work
I rarely have anybody in the back seat...it's just me and wifey
Yes, there is an $8,000 rebate as well as another $600 for the charger and installation.
I like the latest upgrades on the 2019...especially the short charging time.

Joe

·
Registered
187 Posts
You must be in Quebec with the low electric rates. Not sure how you are spending 500/mo on gas with only 60km commute but if you can achieve 100% EV you'll save a lot. I was spending $100/wk per 500kms here in BC, now with the Volt I only spend $7.50/wk on electricity at 10cents/kwh. In Quebec (6 cents/kwh?) it would cost a whopping $4.50/wk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You must be in Quebec with the low electric rates. Not sure how you are spending 500/mo on gas with only 60km commute but if you can achieve 100% EV you'll save a lot. I was spending $100/wk per 500kms here in BC, now with the Volt I only spend $7.50/wk on electricity at 10cents/kwh. In Quebec (6 cents/kwh?) it would cost a whopping $4.50/wk

Here is how it works out for me......60 km. round trip from work is 300 km. for the week. My wife doesn't drive and our work hours are not the same so I have to go pick her up every night....and that is another 50 km. round trip adding 250 km. per week for a total of 550 km per week just to go back and forth from work. I drive a 2012 Toyota Rav 4 Limited with a V-6. I spent $80 that week when gas was averaging in the $1.40 per liter range. That still leaves me with Saturday and Sunday to do whatever it is I need to do. So if I do practically nothing and spend just $20 of gas on those 2 days that makes $100 per week MINIMUM expenditure on gas per week.

The problem is, we do NOT sit at home doing nothing on weekends. I easily burn a tank of fuel on the weekend. My VERY realistic gas expense is $125 to $150 of gas PER week!

I'm keeping the Rav 4 for trailer pulling duty only (snowmobile and ATV) and the Volt will be for everything else.

Joe

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Sounds like you could really use the faster charger of the 2019. It is my understanding the 7+ Kw charging is an option on the LT and standard on the Premiere, right? or is it an option on both. I assume if you got the faster charger you would get the faster EVSE and would only need the higher capacity outlet?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
the 7.2kW on-board is standard on the 2019 Premier, optional on the 2019 LT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you could really use the faster charger of the 2019. It is my understanding the 7+ Kw charging is an option on the LT and standard on the Premiere, right? or is it an option on both. I assume if you got the faster charger you would get the faster EVSE and would only need the higher capacity outlet?

You are correct, the 7.2 kw charger is an option on the LT and comes standard on the Premier I ordered. I have this charger in my Amazon basket just waiting for me to hit the "buy" button. https://www.amazon.ca/JuiceBox-Enab...pID=51bxhfoVaLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Joe

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ouch! If you are getting the 7.2 Kw charger wouldn't the EVSE be as well? Or are they going to stick you with a 120V standard EVSE? For that price they should include the post! :cool:

Makes my L2 Charger that came with the car (Honda dealership ordered it as I guess the original L1 didn't come with the car) seem a real bargain. All I had to do was buy a $30 twist lock outlet for my 240V box in the garage and a matching one for air compressor (also added a 20 amp rocker switch to turn it of when not in use).

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
No, the Volt still ships with the Level 1 EVSE. I wonder if GM is going to sell a Level 2 EVSE rated at 7.2kW along with the installation the way they currently market the Siemens 3.6kW EVSE?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts