GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My VOLT was built May 15th, 2016.. I bought it off the lot 15 days later.. Now that was fast for transportation.

The VOLT continues to be a great, comfortable car. She was created with an Silver ICE metalic color and the only option I can see that she lacks is the ACC as this VOLT was built days before ACC would start to be installed.

And SELF PARKING! ARE YOU KIDDING?? I didn't realize she was equipped to do this and when I learned of it, I tested it that day, she parked perfectly. I was so tickled I tried 3 more times at various places in the city, perfect parallel parking. Who'd thunk??

The Lane Keep is sort of lame but may be a good reminder if you are on a long trip and the car moves too close to either side of the road, only to be gently pulled back to center lane. and the distance warning is just cool.

Regenerative braking, now this is a new term for a former Gas car only owner. But how cool to be able to brake without touching the brake pedal and send power back to the battery.

My summer time mileage after charge is around 80+ miles. I have not (yet) had to run the extender, not one mile.
The only dealership forced visit was when the Wheel speed sensor went bad. Didn't totally shut the car down but it reduced the steering wheel action and shut down some systems.

For you lurkers, if the VOLT is an interest for you, I'd say it could be a perfect choice when coming from a total Gas car.
You get the "estimated" 53 miles per charge, which I found to be more in the warm summer and less in the cold Winter, and you have the extender(gas generator) to keep you going another couple of hundred miles should you use all your mileage on the battery.

The ride is very good, the body is tight, the seats are comfortable. Apple car play is great with the BOSE speakers which sound good.
NO CD CHANGER, but in my case, I load music on a USB thumb drive, made up play lists and the result is even better then a CD changer. I use the naviagation maps from my I5c Iphone. The OEM navigation I use only if I have no other resource as it is pretty shoddy as a mapping system but it is good to have, just in case.

The style of the body is Aerodynamic, but not particularly a look that I would have liked and the rear seat head room could have been better.

My VOLT is a PREMIER model with the extra safety packages and the Leather seats, which included Heated seat and heated steering wheel. Comfort controls that remind you of what Cadillac was once the only vehicle using.

Seating for 4, HA HA HA, I mean 5 (wink to silly GM designer that said that tall tale).

Learning the ins and outs, all the quirks and comforts doesn't take too long and the drives are very comfortable.

I am very surprised that GM has done so little advertising on the VOLT, but what seems to be word of mouth has really started a trend.

Happy Birthday to my 2017 Chevrolet VOLT. And looking forward to the 2nd year. :eek::cool::D

Stolen VOLT pursuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2TGpE7gLs

Insurance Institute For Highway Safety Crash Test Results
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/volt-4-door-hatchback/2017

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Happy B'Day. Don't be too afraid to use that gasoline engine. We use ours quite often with our 2016 Volt but still have a lifetime of 156 mpg for over 15,000 miles. Our overall gas mpg's according to Voltstats.net is 45.08 mpg from new. Our last trip was over 46 mpg on gas, and near 50 mpg or more is usually the case in summer.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
78k miles, 70 mpg on dash

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Awesome and Happy Volt Day err Birthday. My 2017 was built in June 2016 and it had ACC (I held off buying until I could get that and it was worth the wait, no car should be without it). I agree that while the LKA will probably keep an inattentive driver from wandering into on coming traffic or into a ditch I keep thinking how nice something Tesla's AP1 would be on a long highway trip.

I've driven our Volt 61xx miles since I bought in Aug 16, but my ICE has about 50 miles on it. I've had ZERO visits to the dealer - knock on wood.

I have ZERO complaints or issues and if my current driving habits remain, I suspect I'll face the dreaded FMM this Aug and be forced to burn the 6 gallons of gas left in my tank. Dealer delivered it with about 7 gallons in it.

Cheers and here's to many more miles of smiles.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Best wishes on the impending anniversary! I just passed 5 years on the 2012 Volt I purchased in April of that year. Great car!

Surely you’ve experienced those EMMs that run the engine briefly every six weeks of inactivity or so... but if you’ve not yet used the Range Extender, you have a thrill coming up soon... once the car senses the average age of the gas in the tank is one year old, your car will ask, then insist that you drive by running the gas engine in Fuel Maintenance Mode (FMM) until you do something so that the average age of the gas in the tank is less than one year old. That might involve days of driving! During this period of time, you won’t be able to run on battery power, even if the battery is fully charged.

The manual talks about the FMM. Knowing that it’s coming gives you a chance to decide what to do... you can drive until the gas tank is empty, and then add new gas (those who don’t use the ICE much may choose to add only the minimum needed to end the FMM, ~1.5 gallons). This pushes the timing for the next FMM as far as possible into the future (~1 year). Or you could add an amount of fresh gas equal to the amount of old gas left in the tank. This brings the average age of gas down to 6 months, and gives you 6 months until the next FMM.

Knowing that it’s coming, of course, you could choose to reduce the amount of gas that must be used then by using it now to test out Hold mode or by driving far enough to experience the "seamless transition to gas" that happens when the battery is fully depleted...

Once the FMM message does appear on the driver’s display, be sure to start the FMM before adding any fresh gas, which then allows the FMM programming to be brought to an end.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Awesome and Happy Volt Day err Birthday. My 2017 was built in June 2016 and it had ACC (I held off buying until I could get that and it was worth the wait, no car should be without it). I agree that while the LKA will probably keep an inattentive driver from wandering into on coming traffic or into a ditch I keep thinking how nice something Tesla's AP1 would be on a long highway trip.

I've driven our Volt 61xx miles since I bought in Aug 16, but my ICE has about 50 miles on it. I've had ZERO visits to the dealer - knock on wood.

I have ZERO complaints or issues and if my current driving habits remain, I suspect I'll face the dreaded FMM this Aug and be forced to burn the 6 gallons of gas left in my tank. Dealer delivered it with about 7 gallons in it.

Cheers and here's to many more miles of smiles.
Just hop in the volt, pick an interstate, and drive until you run out of electrons, then drive it back on Dino juice. Stop some place for some tourist trap and a beverage. Staying within Ev range of home is silly, there's so much out there, just pile onto your bucket list, pick one, and go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a couple to instances when the gas engine will start when I start the car. I let it sit for the couple of minutes and it shut down. My car is very quiet when the gas engine is running so you really have to listen to realize it is running. It has only burnt about 1 segment for fuel so I will probably top her off. I don't know what affect that may have on the yearly fuel burn but its all a learning experience, isn't it!
Driving in all electric mode for an old gas driver like me is just cool, I am sure many others feel the same way.

Even though I have not driven the VOLT on Dino Fuel yet, I am sure the time will come. REGARDLESS, when considering the amount of Dino Fuel that the VOLT DOES NOT BURN, And when combined with all the VOLTS on the road today, we are starting a trend of getting away from the expensive gas market.

It is a hoot to drive by a Dinoline station and give them the single fingered salute as I drive by with a huge smile on my face. Even the Volt seems to have a big grin on it's front grill. All is good.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
It is a hoot to drive by a Dinoline station and give them the single fingered salute as I drive by with a huge smile on my face. Even the Volt seems to have a big grin on it's front grill. All is good.
Two fingers up (one from eacch hand, but not directed at the gas station (that would get you shot in some neighborhoods) instead directed east at OPEC.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I look forward to trying a used 2016 or 2017 in a few years when one reaches my price point. The 2013 Volt that I am driving is adequate and loan-free for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts