GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew my front tires this morning running over something on the freeway... one tire split open on the sidewall so I need to get a new pair. Local shop suggested Hankook Kinergy ST because I didn't want to pay Michelin prices. These seem fairly new (released in April) so there is nothing in the way of reviews online that I can find. Anyone happen to be running these tires on their Gen2?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm sure they're fine tires. I've run many sets of Hankooks on the racetrack, so they can definitely make a decent tire.

Post up your personal reviews, particular with tread noise after ~5k miles. I've found that a lot of modern all-seasons are very quiet when new, but it doesn't take much wear to get them roaring. I'd definitely give these a go if they maintain a quiet ride, which is super important for a Volt operating on EV power.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I agree. A few extra miles from LRR doesn't amount much if you aren't using all the battery each day (I use less than half) and even f you do it still doesn't amount to much other than bragging rights. Grip? That depends on your driving style, weather and roads. With most people trying to eek out max mileage that's not at the forefront either. We all like the quiet ride of the EV and the biggest part of that quiet ride is tire noise, it's with us always so is the most important.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure they're fine tires. I've run many sets of Hankooks on the racetrack, so they can definitely make a decent tire.

Post up your personal reviews, particular with tread noise after ~5k miles. I've found that a lot of modern all-seasons are very quiet when new, but it doesn't take much wear to get them roaring. I'd definitely give these a go if they maintain a quiet ride, which is super important for a Volt operating on EV power.
I agree. A few extra miles from LRR doesn't amount much if you aren't using all the battery each day (I use less than half) and even f you do it still doesn't amount to much other than bragging rights. Grip? That depends on your driving style, weather and roads. With most people trying to eek out max mileage that's not at the forefront either. We all like the quiet ride of the EV and the biggest part of that quiet ride is tire noise, it's with us always so is the most important.
Over 500 miles in and they're not bad.... definitely not worse than the OEM Michelin's. The do seem quieter...but I want to run them a bit higher PSI...35 right now and want to get them to 40 and Ill see how that feels/sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went for these tires because I got a great deal on them. I will post again once I have a good amount of miles on them. I drove about 100 miles after getting them and really like them. They are much quieter and smoother than my stock Goodyear’s that had over 50k on them. I was managing to get 5 miles per Kw at 38 PSI which was what I was doing with my worked in Goodyear’s, so no hit on EV miles which is what I was worried about.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a set of Hankook Kinergy ST installed on my 2016 Volt last weekend. About 500 miles on the tires. Running cold 48 psi. Temps this morning 55. Temps this afternoon 72. Got 80 miles on a full charge today. I can't complain, tires aren't really broken in yet. Did not get that out of the original Michelin's nor Goodyear Assurance tires. I ran the other tires close to max cold psi also. I averaged 70-72 miles on full charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts