GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past month I had to tow my 2016 volt to a dealer, cause it was completely dead only to be returned after charging the 12Volt battery and then plugging in the car for charging overnight.

The first time this happened the car was in a public parking garage and I had just plugged in the car to be charged and noticed it was NOT charging right away, but it was too late already as it seem to have drained my 12volt battery and I could not unlock the car. It was tough to get a tow truck that could pull a car out with car parked nose in. (At that point, I did not know how to put the car in neutral)

The last time I had to tow the car, the car was plugged in to a regular 120v outlet over the weekend in my own garage at home and it was fully charged since I got an sms saying so and also it was charged according to the onstar app. So technically the 12volt should not have discharged either.

I am concerned that the root of the problem is not being addressed by the Chevy Volt Dealers and I don't want to be stranded again.

Wondering if someone more experienced can point to potential problem.

My understanding is that the second gen volts have a maintenance mode that constantly check if the 12volt battery is charged or not. With that mode available why would the 12v battery drain? Should I request the 12 volt battery replaced all together or was it not being charged at all when it is plugged in.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 2016 and 2017 Volts do have an actual recall concerning a connector that can come loose and blow a fuse that would prevent the 12v battery from charging. I would hope they have performed that recall if it was applicable to your car.

Failing that I would definitely replace the 12v. There have been reports of these just up and failing. The Volt, like many other PHEVs and hybrids, uses an AGM battery vs your traditional lead acid flooded/gel cell battery. These have different failure modes that many dealer and auto shop battery tests don't seem to catch. Seen far too many reports of people saying the dealer said "the battery tested good!", when in fact, it was NOT good.

I've also read that AGM batteries absolutely hate being fully discharged and left in that state for an extended period of time. Much more so than standard flooded cell batteries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Is there a specific place where I should look for the fuse that may have blown. The reason I ask because, the first time this happened was, when I plugged the car in a public car park and I noticed right away that it was not charging and the car could not be unlocked. That makes me believe somehow it managed to not only drain the 12V battery but could also have blown the fuse. Later I noticed there was a small label on the main charger not the port that it was meant for Kia motors only (not sure if that matters, but might if they did something special with the charging station)

Also are there special tests to run on the AGM batteries?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am not sure of the actual fuse and connector location mentioned in the recall.. But the recall/GM bulliten number is N162070470 .

Go here: https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls and put your VIN in, it will tell you if there are any active recalls.

I would assume there is... It just seems like the standard tests they do on the 12v battery assume the typical operating conditions of a standard ICE car. The 12v battery in the Volt is not used in the same manner as a typical ICE car.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It sounds like the 12V battery may be faulty from the factory. There have been a few reports of people needing a new one within a year or two here. It should be replaced under warranty.
And as others mentioned, the dealer should be checking for the recall work.

·
Super Moderator
6,424 Posts
I am not sure of the actual fuse and connector location mentioned in the recall.. But the recall/GM bulliten number is N162070470 .

Go here: https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls and put your VIN in, it will tell you if there are any active recalls.

I would assume there is... It just seems like the standard tests they do on the 12v battery assume the typical operating conditions of a standard ICE car. The 12v battery in the Volt is not used in the same manner as a typical ICE car.
https://gm.oemdtc.com/7895/16185-cu...art-or-loss-of-propulsion-2017-chevrolet-volt

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
A plug in 12 volt digital POWER PORT volt meter can come in handy to give extra information.
tow drives never seem to have a volt meter.

----------
Mine has the readout display in the from cup holder and over time you get a very good feel of what is normal BATTERY voltage for ours car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts