GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I had the same problem as the OP on my 2011 Volt at around 23000 miles. Left rear brake caliper was corroded and inoperative. Had to replace it. I drive the Volt low mileage (it only has about 25000 miles on it now) and always in L, so I don't use the brakes much at all.
Weird. That's the one the parking brake uses, so that's the LAST caliper I'd expect to seize up

·
Registered
43 Posts
I serviced a Gen 1 Volts rear brakes yesterday with 80,000 kms and found all components in great condition

Auto part Wheel Vehicle brake Brake Automotive wheel system

This is the rear rotor with no scoring or pitting

Auto part Fuel line Pipe

This is the caliper slide pins that I lubricate with a synthetic brake lubricant

Auto part Brake Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system

I like to make sure that the brake pads are able to move freely in the caliper bracket, if you look closely at the top and bottom of the brake pads you can see that they are starting to rust. If this is caught early enough and serviced on a regular basis you should be able to get consistent even wear on the pads and rotors.

Auto part Vehicle brake Brake

Just showing the amount of brake material remaining, for 80,000 kms they are in great shape

All the best

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I serviced a Gen 1 Volts rear brakes yesterday with 80,000 kms and found all components in great condition

Just showing the amount of brake material remaining, for 80,000 kms they are in great shape

All the best

While I was there if I were you I would have looked at possibly getting the aftermarket brake repair kits with the quiet clip hardware for the pads since they are only like $10 for both sets of brakes (either rear or front).

While I was there investigating the brakes on my Volt sounding like a mouse with intermittent squeaking (really irritating when driving silently), threw in aftermarket Carlson brake repair kit including the rubberized coating on the clips for the pads not found on the GM OEM clips. Anyways, installing the repair kit hardware along with re-greasing of the bolt hardware took care of this occasional noise that was bugging me. My pads and rotors were also in good shape after 40,000 miles so there are many more miles to be had prior to swapping either of those!;)

Part No. H5852Q Quiet clip repair kit for Volt rear brakes only 1 each required since has the boots/clips for 2 calipers...

Part No. H5851Q is for the larger front brakes again enough for 2 brakes!

·
Registered
43 Posts

While I was there if I were you I would have looked at possibly getting the aftermarket brake repair kits with the quiet clip hardware for the pads since they are only like $10 for both sets of brakes (either rear or front).

That would be 30.00 if you converted to canadian dollars :)

While I was there investigating the brakes on my Volt sounding like a mouse with intermittent squeaking (really irritating when driving silently), threw in aftermarket Carlson brake repair kit including the rubberized coating on the clips for the pads not found on the GM OEM clips. Anyways, installing the repair kit hardware along with re-greasing of the bolt hardware took care of this occasional noise that was bugging me. My pads and rotors were also in good shape after 40,000 miles so there are many more miles to be had prior to swapping either of those!;)

Part No. H5852Q Quiet clip repair kit for Volt rear brakes only 1 each required since has the boots/clips for 2 calipers...

Part No. H5851Q is for the larger front brakes again enough for 2 brakes!
You make a very valid point, and great upselling :)

For curiosity sake I called quite a few aftermarket part suppliers this morning, they all had a listing on the brake hardware kits but not one of them had them in stock. The price range was between 15.00 to 25.00 but they would have to be ordered in. Ground freight no charge but 7 to 10 business days or air freight usually overnight but could cost an extra 20 - 25 to fly them in.

If the customer such as yourself had a noise complaint or the brake pads are seized into the caliper bracket, then yes, I would advise of a hardware kit replacement and possibly even a brake pad replacement. Again as long as the customer is made aware of the findings they can make an informed decision.

All the best!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So what was the age on those brake pads?
i.e. how often would you say they need inspecting/lubing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
So what was the age on those brake pads?
They are from a 2012 model year

i.e. how often would you say they need inspecting/lubing?
We service them when they first arrive at the shop, and when they are sold we service them on a yearly basis. This is an independent shop where I work so the dealership may be different.

IMO if someone lives where they use a lot of salt/salt brine then I would do it every six months, but again that's open to interpretation.

I'm not sure what it says in the factory owners manual, so this is just my personal opinion.

All the best!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thanks.
Though I think 6 months might be a bit much except for extreme conditions ;)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
For reference (might as well stick this here) - Gen 1 Volt:

Front Brakes

Brake Pad Minimum Thickness 2.0 mm
Disc Discard Thickness* 23.0 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Assembled Lateral Runout 0.06 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Scoring 1.50 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Thickness Variation 0.025 mm
Disc Minimum Allowable Thickness After Refinish 23.2 mm
Disc Thickness New 26.0 mm

Rear Brakes

Brake Pad Minimum Thickness 2.0 mm
Disc Discard Thickness* 10 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Assembled Lateral Runout 0.05 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Scoring 1.50 mm
Disc Maximum Allowable Thickness Variation 0.025 mm
Disc Minimum Allowable Thickness After Refinish 10.2 mm
Disc Thickness New 12.0 mm

* All brake discs have a minimum thickness dimension cast into them.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You make a very valid point, and great upselling :)

For curiosity sake I called quite a few aftermarket part suppliers this morning, they all had a listing on the brake hardware kits but not one of them had them in stock. The price range was between 15.00 to 25.00 but they would have to be ordered in. Ground freight no charge but 7 to 10 business days or air freight usually overnight but could cost an extra 20 - 25 to fly them in.

If the customer such as yourself had a noise complaint or the brake pads are seized into the caliper bracket, then yes, I would advise of a hardware kit replacement and possibly even a brake pad replacement. Again as long as the customer is made aware of the findings they can make an informed decision.

All the best!

New and improved brake parts installed front brake...

All the old worn parts that were replaced by the new brake repair kits front and rear...

FWIW: Uploaded pics of my Gen1 Volt brake repair: http://imgur.com/a/beoiE/all

Got rid of the intermittent squeak!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
41 - 51 of 51 Posts