GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well it had been 319 days since my last gas station visit and my Volt prompted me with my least favorite message, Fuel Maintenance Mode. I did manage to drive 19,300 EV miles and 0.00 gas miles since my last visit back on April 23, 2014.

I guess I will be back around the end of January, 2016 for fill up #5.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is thast the minimum to shut off the fuel light?
(I'm assuming you run it pretty much dry before filling)

My fuel light is on, can probably make it another month until my FMM :p

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is thast the minimum to shut off the fuel light?
(I'm assuming you run it pretty much dry before filling)

My fuel light is on, can probably make it another month until my FMM :p
I ran my engine until it shut off and was out of fuel (I do this by popping the hood with the Volt on). I burned 0.69 gallons as I keep only the minimum amount of gas in my tank.

With my car out of gas, I drove to the gas station and added the minimum to turn off FMM. I tried 1 gallon. Not enough, added 0.3 gal more and that did the trick.

My fuel light is still on. I've had the low fuel light on since June 9, 2013! That's when I reset my trip A.

Right before my burn off.

And After.

Unhappy Volt.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Don't know if I'd go so far as to run it dry on purpose..though since you're not really using it, who cares? :p

My low fuel light didn't turn on until about 3L left (based on last OnStar estimate minus what I used that day)
So odd that it wouldn't turn off with nearly 5L in there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ari, you need to switch your display to the metric system. Looks much cooler to read 0.016 L/100 km (I think the volt would round it down to 0.0!) Instead of 250+ mpg, which is 'meh' :D

Lol, 16 ml of fuel per 100 km on average... That's nuts.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It rounds down to 0 when less than 0.25L/100km.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
358 Posts
3 points
1) I would've added enough fuel to get rid of the low fuel warning light. That on all the time would drive me nuts.
2) I hate that as your range is counting down it stops counting at 35 miles? and just displays low fuel
3) Ari you are one crazy Volt owner :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We have no problem using gas in our 2014 Volt. Living out here on the Oregon coast to do any serious shopping you have to drive to Portland Oregon or Longview Washington which is well outside of the electric range.

We make at least one or two trips a month and we still have over 177 mpg average for over 20,000 miles. I think some of us forget we have a gas engine under that hood that gets pretty decent mpg just on gas...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran my engine until it shut off and was out of fuel (I do this by popping the hood with the Volt on)....
Here's a question: if you're down to, e.g., 1.3 gallons with a fully charged battery, and engage Hold mode, how much gas can you burn before the system forces you back to battery power? Can you deplete the tank, or are you forced to maintain a reserve?

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered elsewhere.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts