GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had dealer issue with "Reduced Propulsion" error, then received this in mail

Okay guys, long story short. We had "reduced propulsion" issues with car, brought to local dealer. Gave me and explanation that the issue was a faulty 12v battery. Not under warranty. So, I replaced for $150 with factory specc'd one from Auto Advantage. Problem went away for a week then started creeping back. I don't want to go back to dealer since I gave them a hard time about their veiled attempt at squirming out of a warranty repair saying "your battery is not the one from the factory so we cannot honor it under the electric drive warranty. Which was baloney. So instead of paying them a total $450, I just did it myself.

Anyways, I got this in the mail yesterday...

Very interesting development! Let us know if you guys get one too!

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that an LG remote?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Okay, so what year is your Volt? And what is the date of the letter (covered by the remote in the picture)?

Thanks!
date is ..18.so its from this year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would be curious to see who this applies to. I have a 2013 and I swear my battery was damaged by the lack of cell balancing for over a year until the recall was performed a month ago. Since the bad software was loaded my usable has dropped from 10.4 kwh to 9.1 kwh with the subsequent range drop. It has not recovered since the recall was performed. I still get PPR messages, although not as frequently as before the recall was performed. I have been to the dealer several times and every time they blow me off and say it is normal degradation and to deal with it. I really hope my car is a part of this program and GM can remotely monitor my battery, I already have an active Onstar subscription so that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would be curious to see who this applies to. I have a 2013 and I swear my battery was damaged by the lack of cell balancing for over a year until the recall was performed a month ago. Since the bad software was loaded my usable has dropped from 10.4 kwh to 9.1 kwh with the subsequent range drop. It has not recovered since the recall was performed. I still get PPR messages, although not as frequently as before the recall was performed. I have been to the dealer several times and every time they blow me off and say it is normal degradation and to deal with it. I really hope my car is a part of this program and GM can remotely monitor my battery, I already have an active Onstar subscription so that isn't an issue.
"Deal with it" means trade it in on a new one. The rich get richer and the rest of us get poorer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What you experienced is unacceptable.
The CA Law maintains that the car's battery is under warranty till 10yrs/150K, Cheverolet recently replaced my battery after the recall resulting (yes, see my thread) in the sudden loss of power, which was quite dangerous.
I suggest you get an VCX nanoand test your battery.
Unbalanced battery can be quite dangerous because I suddenly lost all power AFTER the recall. The software can still fail and result in life or death situations.
Your dealer is bad, change to a different one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received the same letter this week for my 2012. The letter was dated October 2018. I did not renew my on-star subscription when it expired several years ago. The letter states that GM "will proactively monitor your battery and contact you if your battery is nearing the end of its useful life." I wonder if anyone has been contacted by GM to say that their battery is nearing end of life????
My compass quit about a year ago. Also, I developed a parasitic drain of the 12V battery that I discovered when returning home to a dead 12V battery after a 10 day vacation. I found that the drain went away when I pulled the F9 (on-star) fuse. The compass failure and 12V drain may have the same root cause. Other threads mention a failing module that brings down the compass and on-star. Apparently the module is not cheap so my solution has been to live without a compass or on-star.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*UPDATE After leaving the volt main battery dead for four days and driving without charging, the CEL is now on(the day after activating active monitoring). OnStar sent me an email with the following code:p1E00 The electric system is not performing as expected. The HPCM (VIC) may or may nod have another code.

P04B6

Pleae take your vehicle to a service center within 7 days."

Also the DEALER cannot find the trouble code in their system, so they have to call us back after talking to GM.

I will update if any more info.

Crazy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts