GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding solar panels to roof of my 2013 and want to charge the battery while parked in sun. I know this is not economical or practical (I have had solar DIY on my two Prisus since 2007). But it is an eye catcher and conversation starter. I have the full size original VOLT decals covering both sides of the car for maximum proselytizing. Electrically, I know what I am doing, just dont know where to dig into the battery terminals.

I simply need to know where to connect my solar (boosted) output to the Volt battery terminals. I will not use a BMS, but simply a daylight-latching push button. IE, I will never park the car and initiate charging unless I know that there is at least room at the top. Max charge rate will be 300W on best summer day in Maryland for an average of about 1800 Whrs or about 4 miles range. When sun goes down, latching button drops out and no way to charge until I push button again on another day.

In Prius, you just took off enough covers and could get to the 220V battery terminals easily.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I recall someone determined how they could plug in to the charge port with solar and an inverter. An aftermarket EVSE allowed charging with less than 8 amps. Going to the charge port has the advantage of leaving the BMS in place and not needing to keep an eye on charge level, etc. I forgot how/if the charge interrupt alarm was handled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How are you generating 300 watts with the limited surface area of the Volt? On my admittedly cursory look into the idea (just to maintain the 12v battery), I could only "fit" a single 100W flexible panel to the roof.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I know this is not economical or practical (I have had solar DIY on my two Prisus since 2007). But it is an eye catcher and conversation starter.
You humans make me laugh. I've truly enjoyed my visit on this planet. My friends back home will never believe me when I tell them some of things you guys do!

·
Administrator
20,776 Posts
How are you generating 300 watts with the limited surface area of the Volt? On my admittedly cursory look into the idea (just to maintain the 12v battery), I could only "fit" a single 100W flexible panel to the roof.
Like Mat Damon in The Martian, he tows a trailer full of solar panels and when he parks, lays them all out. Be careful on the tippy sand dunes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts