GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find a way to claim the 2012 $7500 tax credit in the H&R Block At Home Deluxe tax software. The interview has a section for tax credits but it does not ask anything about buying a qualified electric vehicle. I can't find form 8936 in the forms area either. Has anyone used this software and claimed the tax credit? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talked to the folks at H&R Block a couple of hours ago. They said you could download the correct form from the IRS web site and mail it in along with the rest of your printed tax documents. I haven't filed by mail in years! Returned my unopened H&R Block software and bought TurboTax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to the folks at H&R Block a couple of hours ago. They said you could download the correct form from the IRS web site and mail it in along with the rest of your printed tax documents. I haven't filed by mail in years! Returned my unopened H&R Block software and bought TurboTax.
So they are not adding the functionality to their product. Nice. Looks like I'll be switching to Turbo Tax from now on. I wonder how I can get a refund for the software... Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
160 Posts
While I have not yet done my taxes this year or used this, I have used TaxAct in the past and have really liked it. They claim to have the correct form 8936 on their website.
http://www.taxact.com/products/all_forms.asp?s=STD
If anyone uses TaxAct and is successful (or unsuccessful) e-filing with this form, please reply to this thread.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used TurboTax some time ago, but then switched to TaxAct when TurboTax added some nuisance anti-piracy stuff to their program. (I never engaged in piracy, but objected to the extra bother, and objected on principle.) However, there was a new problem with the TaxAct software every year that I used the program (about three years running, if I remember correctly). I went back to TurboTax (they removed the anti-piracy "feature") and have been pleased with it ever since. By the way, TurboTax handled my 2011 Volt purchase with absolutely no problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I didn't have a volt last year, but I did assume that I did, using turbo tax to see what would happen if I did buy one. And it handled it quite well. So I plan on using it this year as well. I never tried other packages. I was pretty annoyed as well with their stupid anti-piracy stuff. Some was pretty aggressive. Almost virus like. But they are much better now from what I hear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have been using TAXACT for several years and like it. I haven't filed my 2012 tax return to the IRS yet, but plan to soon. Btw, one of the Fiscal Cliff legislation newly "reinstated" tax credits for 2012 (and 2013) is for home charging stations; 30% of the cost or $1000 whichever is less. The updated IRS form for 2012 to claim this credit has not yet been released yet. The expected date for online software updates to use this form supposedly will be by the end of January or early February of this year.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
taxactonline.com is free and has it. I've got my deduction locked and loaded! The software will give you plenty of opportunities to purchase an upgrade, just click "no" and file.

·
Registered
61 Posts
WOW - I did H & R Block last year and needed to do the 8936 manually and mail in the return vs. efile. I called their customer service to point out that the 8936 was not there. Also, if you don't file electronically their "guarantee" does not apply. They said they were aware the form was not in the SW (others called too) and they were going to correct it for 2012. Guess not - it's not a complicated form. Bye H & R Block!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've used the H&R Block (AKA TaxCut) software for many years. But since I'm expecting the tax credit for my Volt that I bought in October, and I read here about the problems with H&R Block & that 8936 form, I just bought a copy of Turbo Tax instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I have not yet done my taxes this year or used this, I have used TaxAct in the past and have really liked it. They claim to have the correct form 8936 on their website.
http://www.taxact.com/products/all_forms.asp?s=STD
If anyone uses TaxAct and is successful (or unsuccessful) e-filing with this form, please reply to this thread.
I'll be filing using TaxAct this year. I put in some preliminary numbers a couple of weeks ago to make sure the form for the plug-in credit was there. TaxAct calculated the tax credit at less than $7,500 as I had not entered all my income amounts to fully claim the tax credit. I just finished with another update adding all income sources and was happy to find that TaxAct updated the credit to the full $7,500. I was thinking I might have to manually adjust the credit but TaxAct software did it automatically. Overall, very pleased with Tax Act and it can be free if you don't opt for some added features. I've chosen the Deluxe Fed version for $9.95 which is half what I was paying for the H&R Block At Home software after a rebate! For the want of a simple form, H&R Block lost me for good and I've been using them for the last four years.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'll be filing using TaxAct this year. I put in some preliminary numbers a couple of weeks ago to make sure the form for the plug-in credit was there. TaxAct calculated the tax credit at less than $7,500 as I had not entered all my income amounts to fully claim the tax credit. I just finished with another update adding all income sources and was happy to find that TaxAct updated the credit to the full $7,500. I was thinking I might have to manually adjust the credit but TaxAct software did it automatically. Overall, very pleased with Tax Act and it can be free if you don't opt for some added features. I've chosen the Deluxe Fed version for $9.95 which is half what I was paying for the H&R Block At Home software after a rebate! For the want of a simple form, H&R Block lost me for good and I've been using them for the last four years.
I have used H&R Block since sometime on the 1990's. When you started your return with TaxAct, were you able to import your 2011 return you filed with H&R Block?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use Turbo Tax. I wanted to file my taxes as quickly as possible this year to get my tax credit back for my purchase of my 2012 Volt in May. Turbo Tax wouldn't let me file the return because it said the 8936 Electric Vehicle tax credit form wasn't ready yet from the fed govt. My Turbo tax was updated today so I went to e-file my return and it says it can't be e-filed with form 8936 it has to be mailed in. So I guess anyone filing with form 8936 has to send their return through the mail. Anyone else know any different???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never loved H&R Block, so I've been using Turbotax services for years, which are simply top. You get free online support, free tax calculators, they also guarantee a maximum refund so also more. If you also want to save when buying their software solutions, you can achieve it with the help of coupon codes.

Learn more on this article, where everything is explained in detail, how to get coupon codes easily and quickly.

Hope that I was a help to you and good luck with it.

Yours sincerely

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts