GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Premier
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to create the "Voltipedia," an entry-level guide for people who are thinking about buying, or who have recently bought, a used Volt. It is in very rough shape at the moment, and it requires a lot of fact-checking and new content. I'm hoping that members of this group will contribute to it. Perhaps someday it will be a web site. For now it's just a Google Doc. Anyone with this link can comment on it, and I will incorporate suggestions as best I can.

·
Registered
2017 Premier
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with niccolo. It’s very important to distinguish between the Gen 1 and the Gen 2 Volts. I say this in part because your opening paragraph on How It Works is simply wrong. In a Gen 2 Volt, the gasoline engine CAN power the car’s drivetrain directly by itself. That’s a significant difference between the generations - when the battery is depleted, the Gen 1 continues to be propelled by its electric motor, using battery power for acceleration and generator output for cruising, and the Gen 2 becomes a gas hybrid car using an automobile engine for propulsion.
Thanks. I can't remember where I got my original info but like you said, it was wrong. I have rewritten the intro and referred people to Wikipedia for the technical details.

·
Registered
2017 Premier
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might distinguish between different generations?

In the category of why not to get a Volt, the fact that they're discontinued, it's getting harder to find parts, it's getting harder to find technicians, there's a lot more to go wrong than either a pure ICE or pure BEV so on average they're more expensive over time, and if there's a serious battery issue the value of the car can immediately plummet to zero all seem like they should be mentioned.
Thanks, Niccolo. I have pointed out the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 in the "Shopping" section. Are there other places where the differences need to be called out? I don't even own a Gen2 yet (I'll get it Saturday) and I'll probably never own a Gen1, so it's hard for me to know exactly where Gen1 and Gen2 experiences diverge.

I've added a couple notes on the "why not to." Do you have a reference for the total lifetime cost of ownership vs. other cars?

·
Registered
2017 Premier
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Details here: Text description for each; pictures in articles; etc.

Voltec drive unit has four basic modes of operation
Thanks ... added a link to this thread in the Voltipedia.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts