GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After the "around 40k" remark from Lutz recently, it was discussed to have a 'poll' of your best guess at the retail price of a Volt.

If you like please post your guess.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Why not do a poll of our guesses?

We have a poll as to how much we should pay, how about a poll of how much is GM's MSRP?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Too Much For Me

Too rich for my blood - at 42,000 this car will be destined for a very different market - those with a lot of money. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying a car that is supposed to be a lot cheaper to drive.

Lets say the Volt was 30,000 - still a lot of money for a small car but a lot more people would be interested and with a stretch could afford it -- these same people having to pay another 12,000 plus tax for fuel efficiency will definitely sway them elsewhere - more and more cars will become fuel efficient and get +50 mpg (Prius, VW Diesel and a lot of small 4 cylinder cars - Honda is coming out with a very efficient Diesel Accord with 60 MPG). You can still buy a lot of fuel for 12,000- after all the Volt is not FREE to drive/

So all I can say is that this is a major mistake on GM's part and I am sure other manufacturers are already planning alternates that will be a lot more affordable.

The Prius starting at 22,500 looks better all the time especially with a plug in option they are developing with lithium pacs.

Too bad - a good idea that appears to be doomed for the mass markets/

I really hope GM sees this and does something about it or it will be another nail in their coffin (By the way I am pro GM - I own two of them - this is a very sad situation if it unfolds this way)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
They will still want you to believe 30 something for psychological marketing reasons, so I say;

$39,995

·
Registered
383 Posts
As I said in the poll we did have (that was here, right?), it would have to be $40k and no more, and I was expecting to pay that after getting shafted by the dealer to the tune of $5k.

Of course, if there were govt. subsidies or tax incentives that would bring it down a bit from there, I certainly wouldn't object.

Over $40k "out the door" and I'll likely be looking into something else.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Da Rules!

So what's the official rule for guessing game and what's the price aside from bragging rights?

Shall it be the closest price to the first printed official MSRP without getting over? Does the pricing include total ownership including the battery pack?

If so, then I would guess $32,999.95.

Surely if goes over that, I'm not buying. By that time, Aptera's initial reliability might have been tested by eager adopters and perhaps proven, and so may be more attractive to me if the price of Volt is beyond my budget. But if the Aptera fizzled out, I know that there could be other non-Volt EV choices.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The MSRP will be determined by tax rebates, gas prices, and competitive in addition to manufacturing costs. I say $38,000 based on todays variables but it could go as high as $39,900 if gas keeps going up and/or tax incentives are raised. I just don't think they will try to sell a small Chevy sedan for more $40k or more. As I've said all along, one of the biggest mistakes GM has made with this, is that this first generation EREV, the Volt, should been a Caddy. It had the looks and the technology fit a Caddy price. They could be pricing it in the mid 40's without the same backlash. Although it being a Chevy commits GM to drive the volume faster and I am happy about this, branding it a Caddy would have been a much wiser business decision.

·
Registered
495 Posts
$38,985
And that's with extremely limited production and extremely limited availability. I have a feeling that the Volt will just become the Corvette of the electric line with very good performance and cutting edge technology, but will just remain too far out of grasp for typical Chevy customers.

GM will simply shift its focus to something like the AFS Trinity (http://www.afstrinity.com/) for typical drivers. I don't see the Volt or any other series hybrid "taking over" in the foreseeable future, even though that's what's needed.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My SWAG

To get better margins, GM needs to get high volume. It will be difficult to support too high of a price with the Volt, as it is a small car.

The Prissy, by 2010 with Li-Ion batteries, will probably be close to 29k. However, the Volt will offer less gasoline dependency, lower emissions, and better performance.

There may be some rebates, but that is not guaranteed.

Therefore, to get the sales volume to bring down production costs, yet still offer good value compared to the competition, I will guess the initial MSRP to be $34,995.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts