GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SO ran over something, we're not sure what, but the impact was strong enough to damage what seems like the transmission? If you'll notice, there's a crack by the seam next to what looks like where a bolt should be. Our poor Volt was bleeding all over the place as we pulled over to park it. It was making some kind of low-rumbling noise before we turned her off. :(

Can anyone tell me what exactly this part is, what kind of damage y'all think i can expect, and cost? The car is at the shop, but they won't have a Volt tech available to inspect it for another week. At the very least, i want to make sure i at least know what i'm looking at so they don't come back at me with random Kale Co. required parts. :D

p.s. We absolutely love this car, 50k miles and counting, but with 4 accidents, not entirely our fault, in less than 3 years -- i'm starting to think the car is cursed one way or another. That's more accidents in one car than my SO and I have had in a couple decades of driving, each, combined on other cars. We're now considering changing out to another vehicle, maybe the 2nd gen, or a Bolt.

201605251.jpg 201605252.jpg

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
OUCH!
I'm pretty sure that's the underside of your traction motor housing. That's probably going to be expensive.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Red blood is transmission fluid.

Unfortunately it seems the volt is assembled with the seam on the bottom.
On my old vehicle I hit some construction debris (grr) and cracked the tranny pan.
Fortunately, it was a full pan along the bottom and a simple and quick fix with a replacement pan.
Doesn't look like it would be as easy for the volt transmission.
(P.s. this is why I believe GM when they say transmission fluid does not need to be changed for so long - it really does last. That transmission was 160k km and it was like new inside, and the fluid was indistinguishable from new. This is in contrast to other makes that do not use this long life fluid where it is pretty much brown coming out and needs to be changed quite often)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not sure if it is called the transmission or planetary gear-set, or differential... it is all sort of wrapped up in one on the Volt.... sorry to see this happen.

Good luck with repair,

Keith

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
OUCH!
I'm pretty sure that's the underside of your traction motor housing.

I hate to be 'that' guy but what is with all the traction terminology on these forums lately!?:confused:

I was OK with a few select folks referring to the Hybrid/EV Battery Pack as the traction battery but now we are gonna start calling the Drive Motor the traction motor too?:rolleyes:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=Hybrid/EV+Battery+Pack&search=Search

You ain't gonna get a whole lot of hits for a traction battery over at GM's site though...maybe save all the traction battery lingo for the folks over at priuschat.com or is it just me!;)

To the OP: Have you checked the Transmission Fluid Cooler Hose/Pipe Quick-Connect Fitting into the Transmission Fluid Auxiliary Cooler aka radiator to see if these came loose?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Looks like you have a fracture in the case. I have to imagine it would be cheaper to fix the fracture or replace the case than to try to replace the entire transmission/drive assembly. Personally, I would have a Chevy dealership fix this for me rather than going to a private mechanic.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Looks like you have a fracture in the case. I have to imagine it would be cheaper to fix the fracture or replace the case than to try to replace the entire transmission/drive assembly.

Please correct me If I am wrong but I was under the impression that the 4ET50 Transmission case would include the entire transmission as well!?:confused:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I hate to be 'that' guy but what is with all the traction terminology on these forums lately!?:confused:
Its what GM (you know the people who built the thing) call it and that is what it actually is....look it up.
Then again people here don't seem to like calling the "generator" by it's official name of "Range Extender" either.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Please correct me If I am wrong but I was under the impression that the 4ET50 Transmission case would include the entire transmission as well!?:confused:
I was referring to the outer shell. You might be right in that you can't get the outer casing without all of the internals, but if you can, that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
....We absolutely love this car, 50k miles and counting, but with 4 accidents, not entirely our fault, in less than 3 years -- i'm starting to think the car is cursed one way or another. ....
Right, this car is 'entirely' cursed. :rolleyes:
It's time for you and her to start coordinating you stories and submit an insurance claim,,,, AGAIN.....
Tell her, 'Less words are best'. "I hit something that was in the road." Period. :cool: Xnay the etail days.
No talkie, Umping Jay the oncrete cay arrier bay in the arking pay ot lay.

You'll both love the Bolt. And it appears to have more ground clearance.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the responses, folks. Insurance is involved, but i still would like to know what is wrong with the car. As some of you might recall from when i was T-Boned at just under 5k on the odo, the shop wasn't entirely forthright with the repairs and was also missing a lot of other things that needed repairs -- however obvious it was. Just want to be educated, that's all.

PRINCE FORTINBRAS:
:)

Thanks for the pic! I'll go look this up right now. Based on what i saw underneath, it seems the cracked portion is held by bolts on the side, and the whole unit sandwiched between something else (frame?) so it doesn't look like it can be replaced without dropping the entire unit -- that is, compared to say an oil pan for most cars where all bolts are easily accessible from the bottom. I do hope it's just a simple matter of swapping out that shell. That low-rumbling noise was disturbing, and i hope no gears were damaged.

I'm curious to see what they come back on cost and extent of damage.

Right, this car is 'entirely' cursed. :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong, i'm not superstitious or anything, but it's just so odd to be getting so many accidents on this car. I'm actually quite impressed, if anything, that it's constantly rolling with the punches. If anything, i feel very safe being in it. It feels like a tank, despite the occasional dings and such. So much so we've hyped it up to our kid, who will be driving in a couple of years, that he'll get to own it soon.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Thank you for the responses, folks. Insurance is involved, but i still would like to know what is wrong with the car. As some of you might recall from when i was T-Boned at just under 5k on the odo, the shop wasn't entirely forthright with the repairs and was also missing a lot of other things that needed repairs -- however obvious it was. Just want to be educated, that's all.

:)

Thanks for the pic! I'll go look this up right now. Based on what i saw underneath, it seems the cracked portion is held by bolts on the side, and the whole unit sandwiched between something else (frame?) so it doesn't look like it can be replaced without dropping the entire unit -- that is, compared to say an oil pan for most cars where all bolts are easily accessible from the bottom. I do hope it's just a simple matter of swapping out that shell. That low-rumbling noise was disturbing, and i hope no gears were damaged.

I'm curious to see what they come back on cost and extent of damage.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not superstitious or anything, but it's just so odd to be getting so many accidents on this car. I'm actually quite impressed, if anything, that it's constantly rolling with the punches. If anything, i feel very safe being in it. It feels like a tank, despite the occasional dings and such. So much so we've hyped it up to our kid, who will be driving in a couple of years, that he'll get to own it soon.
The Volt (especially Gen 1), is built solidly, that's for sure. Not to go all morbid, but AFAIK still no fatalities reported in a Gen 1 to date.

Regardless of the damage, the repair should be covered under your insurance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts