GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
When mine failed, I feared it would be some special order battery. As luck would have it, the O’reilly autoparts store I went to, had one in stock. Since, you are pre-planning, you might as well just get one now while you can shop for the best deal on a G47. That way it’s on your terms and convenience. Mine failed, on a trip. I was lucky I only lost a day of work over it. I was so happy they had the exact fit battery in stock, I didn’t think twice at the $197.00 price. Then the counter guy said, it was an AGM. Then I understood the high price.
Funny, I just had to replace the 12v in my 2014 ELR. I replace the one in my 2012 volt about 2 years ago and did what you did - there was no issue finding a battery. So, when I came home to a dead battery after sitting for 2 weeks, I figured I'd just buy a new one on my way home from work. I called around to see who had one close to me. Turns out, no one had them and they could not order them from their suppliers either. Next, I called the local Chevy dealer and they said the same thing. Luckily, the Chevy dealer said a Cadillac dealer (30 miles away) on my drive home had one, otherwise there was no availability in the Flint area.

I don't know what's going on with these batteries, but this tells me they are no longer being produced, so if you find one, BUY IT! Or, do as the original poster and find an approximate fitting one...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was at Sams Club and out of curiosity I checked on a replacement battery. Checked the cross reference book and found the battery in stock. Price was $110 if i recall. Thought it was high for a small battery, paid $70 a year or two ago for a much larger battery that was vented too.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
I was at Sams Club and out of curiosity I checked on a replacement battery. Checked the cross reference book and found the battery in stock. Price was $110 if i recall. Thought it was high for a small battery, paid $70 a year or two ago for a much larger battery that was vented too.
$110 for a Volt Group 47 AGM battery? That's about half to 2/3rds the cost at an auto store. It may not have been the correct battery.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Funny, I just had to replace the 12v in my 2014 ELR. I replace the one in my 2012 volt about 2 years ago and did what you did - there was no issue finding a battery. So, when I came home to a dead battery after sitting for 2 weeks, I figured I'd just buy a new one on my way home from work. I called around to see who had one close to me. Turns out, no one had them and they could not order them from their suppliers either. Next, I called the local Chevy dealer and they said the same thing. Luckily, the Chevy dealer said a Cadillac dealer (30 miles away) on my drive home had one, otherwise there was no availability in the Flint area.

I don't know what's going on with these batteries, but this tells me they are no longer being produced, so if you find one, BUY IT! Or, do as the original poster and find an approximate fitting one...
And that is my point. Sams stopped carrying the AGM version but has the H5 regular battery many say NOT to use even though it does vent too.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are you sure it was the AGM battery as SAMs stopped carrying the AGM a year or more ago and any stock is now gone at least for the nearby 3 or 4 SAMs by me. They do have the H5 none AGM which many say not to use even though its vented too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a Duracell and it was an AGM battery. This was a month or two ago, I'm quite sure as I looked up what an AGM battery was on my cell.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
It was a Duracell and it was an AGM battery. This was a month or two ago, I'm quite sure as I looked up what an AGM battery was on my cell.
Well, assuming it was the correct AGM for the Volt, it was a real bargain at $110.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As I recall they were selling them for more. Was it with silver and blue stripes if NOT it was NOT the AGM one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I drove my volt twice today...retested the battery and its now at 13.46v per my tester. Either thats good or my ANCEL tester is wonkeee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Out of curiosity I did a search on my phone for a type 47 AGM battery, came up in stock at Batteries+ for
$91. They showed it as Duracell, local pickup.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Reactions: imanjunk1963

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Right steverino....and note the 2nd battery of AGM is the one with silver and blue stripe I mention. Sams still sells the first one cheaper than 179 last I checked but it was not the AMG one. The AGM version they stopped selling at least locally in NYS for me...mid state hudson valley area at least a year ago. The other none AGM they still sell about 120 or so when not on sale.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
So I drove my volt twice today...retested the battery and its now at 13.46v per my tester. Either thats good or my ANCEL tester is wonkeee.
If the battery was being charged by the APM you would read that type of voltage (look up to see under what condition the APM is active. Just after the APM has shut off, the battery may retain a superficial high battery reading for a short time. That's why the best time to get battery reading is first thing in the morning (say a Saturday or Sunday morning when you don't have to go to work) after the car has been at rest over night. Overnight it will bleed off the temp. high charge and use a little of it in the standby mode.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If the battery was being charged by the APM you would read that type of voltage (look up to see under what condition the APM is active. Just after the APM has shut off, the battery may retain a superficial high battery reading for a short time. That's why the best time to get battery reading is first thing in the morning (say a Saturday or Sunday morning when you don't have to go to work) after the car has been at rest over night. Overnight it will bleed off the temp. high charge and use a little of it in the standby mode.
With these vehicles know a days always drawing power when you open a door, I disconnect the ground before testing. You don’t loose any previous configuration settings or audio presets. This insures you a testing the battery at rest.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
With these vehicles know a days always drawing power when you open a door, I disconnect the ground before testing. You don’t loose any previous configuration settings or audio presets. This insures you a testing the battery at rest.
Which remind me when the dealer replaces the battery will all my settings remain as well as the 2 meter miles A and B? Because B I kept without resetting to keep track of the number of gallons I burned since buying in 2014. Or does the dealer have to put a 12v battery pack on the posts before the battery is disconnected to maintain all?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Which remind me when the dealer replaces the battery will all my settings remain as well as the 2 meter miles A and B? Because B I kept without resetting to keep track of the number of gallons I burned since buying in 2014. Or does the dealer have to put a 12v battery pack on the posts before the battery is disconnected to maintain all?
Your trip miles will not be effected by battery removal. No need for external power.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It's actually $151.56, but it's out of stock at the moment.
Its been out of stock in my area for many months then just not available. It was carried in store original with the base none agm same size. And this was before c19 hit.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts