GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Work is becoming increasingly congested with EVs, which make the two Chargepoint chargers constantly in use. If I get in any later than 6:30, they're both taken, and I'm stuck waiting and hoping that I make it out there first when I get a notification that a charger is available. The Chargepoint units they use here each have one J1772 level two charger, and then a level one 120v NEMA 5-15 plug. The chargers are positioned so that 4 vehicles may be parked in front of them, and while I struggle to get a level 2 charger in the morning, I consistently get a spot in front of the charger. I figure if I'm stuck at work for 8-9 hours, I should have enough time to recharge using level 1 (I use about 7.5-8 kWh on the way to work). I brought the EVSE that came with my MY 2013 Volt, and plugged it in. After the relay in the EVSE clicked on and the status light turns green on the car, the Chargepoint station cuts power to the plug and says "Ground Fault" on the screen, and that it will retry in 15 minutes (which subsequently fails). I have tried both the 8 and 12 amp settings, I connected a new plug to the end of the EVSE since the old prongs were worn, and I've still had no luck getting it to charge. I've read online that the stock EVSE has a significant amount of leakage to the ground, which the Chargepoint station assumes is a short. I know that the problem is not in the station since another employee with a Ford Fusion Energi charges using a level 1 charger. He ended up buying a random level 1 unit made who knows where, and it works perfectly for him. Short of going out and buying a $200 level 1 charger (which would take a while to pay off vs. using gas to drive home), is there anything wrong with my EVSE, or anything I can try to reduce ground leaking without burning the place down?

Thanks everyone for your input. I couldn't find a specific thread for charging issues so I hope I put this thread in the right spot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Does your EVSE work at ALL other 120V plugins in a number of other locations? If yes, then the fault has to lie with the Chargepoint station. If no, then you have fault with your EVSE.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It does work with other 120V plugs (like at home), however it has about a 50/50 shot at other chargepoint locations. Both stations at work it does not work with, however if I go a mile up the road to other chargepoint stations, it may work on Monday, but not on Tuesday. Same type of station and everything. The power is shut off from the Chargepoint side of things, i.e. as soon as the EVSE brick begins supplying power to the vehicle, chargepoint cuts the power to the entire outlet. I know it's a confusing issue without consistency, and it's been driving me up a wall! I may end up buying an aftermarket EVSE and try that since others can make it work, however it's hard to justify the $200 investment, which would take me a while to make up in fuel savings

Thank you! Let me know if there's any other info that could help.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
There is an OE Gen 2 Volt EVSE listed for sale on the forum right now. You might want to consider replacing your 2013 EVSE. You can sell your current EVSE on eBay, someone will want to buy it as it works (just not at your workplace outlet.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Given the inconsistent results you describe and the fact you replaced the plug on your EVSE I would suspect that plug or the 120VAC cable on the EVSE. Try another plug or clean all the contacts and prongs on that plug using sandpaper, a Dremel wire brush or a small file. Well, that's what I would do....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Interesting. I converted my 2014 OE EVSE to 240V and use it at home, but bought a 2013 OE EVSE (which is identical) to keep in the car. I also have one of the (older) NEMA 120V/J1772 ChargePoint stations at work (plus two more dual J1772s). I haven't done it a lot, but even with a long extension cord, I haven't had any trouble with the L1 on the NEMA outlet (I think it's actually a 5-20).

The leak to ground is an interesting issue (to us EE types), that may eventually cause the replacement of J1772 standard. Cars have no safety ground. Current passes from the 12V EVSE Pilot signal back to safety ground, because the car chassis (negative side) is connected to home wiring safety ground. But home wiring safety ground should never carry current (except in the fault condition). So J1772 is contrary to conventional home electric code. J1772 EVSEs are designed to be under the threshold of normal GFCI trips, but...

Perhaps the feed wire to the ChargePoint is a single circuit (feeding both NEMA and J1772), and just more sensitive to imbalance. Perhaps the Ford EVSE really does have less leakage to safety ground. I did have one of those Ford EVSEs when my wife had a C-Max, but never measured the ground current.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts