GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a random question this, but I thought I'd put it out there in case it's common or someone can point me in the right direction. When I start off each morning, I generally have to reverse on my driveway, and most times, just as the car starts to move (yes, I've release the parking brake) it makes a kind of grinding, low groaning noise that can be felt through the steering wheel, it kind of vibrates the car, and is often slightly worse if theres a little bit of pressure to the left on the steering wheel, the sound comes from the front left corner, and at the very slow reversing pace, it lasts for maybe half a turn of the road wheel, maybe for half a second, then it's quiet. Going forward, it's hardly ever heard, and if it is, it's immediately after setting off, a couple of thoughts I had :

1, could well be brakes, obviously

2, On the last phase of braking, where the friction brakes come on, they are a little noisy, but just the usual 'brakes need a clean' kind of noise, not related to this grinding noise, and I have put the car into neutral and given a few hard stops, they are quiet under heavy use in neutral, but still a bit noisy on the last part of a normal stop in D.... this may well be normal ?

3, I suspect this car of some wheel bearing problems, it's a little noisy, noticed more on smooth roads

I'm just asking this simply because I'm interested, and I haven't had the chance to get the car to a mechanic as of yet

·
Registered
628 Posts
You touched on both possible causes.
Wheel bearing noise is usually more noticeable while driving on smooth quiet road, then you apply light steering pressure in one direction or the other then back to center. If you detect a subtle noise change or vibration felt in the steering wheel that comes and goes with the steering pressure, it’s likely a hub going bad.

My car has the same symptoms you mentioned with the first movement of the day after sitting a while. I attribute that to the brake pads/rotors forming a light rust film. As you stated it goes away quickly and is silent until the car sits again an extended period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
Duplicate post deleted

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
It can. It's the brake pads bonding to rusting discs. It happens after I wash my car then put the car away (under lean to). It does it when I first go forward in the morning. It is mostly back brakes if you put on e brake as this pushes the pad against the disc facilitating the bond. It will be more severe if you have salt on the roads as this promotes the rusting. You won't notice it in dry summer time weather as there is no salt and the disc surface is dry.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It can. It's the brake pads bonding to rusting discs. It happens after I wash my car then put the car away (under lean to). It does it when I first go forward in the morning. It is mostly back brakes if you put on e brake as this pushes the pad against the disc facilitating the bond. It will be more severe if you have salt on the roads as this promotes the rusting. You won't notice it in dry summer time weather as there is no salt and the disc surface is dry.
Spot on description

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does feel like it's coming through the steering wheel, if however it's coming through the chassis and just being felt through the steering wheel, perhaps it's worth me avoiding using the parking brake (I have a level driveway anyway) and see if the noise goes away, if it doesn't, I'll still suspect those front brakes. I'll keep you posted, many thanks for the advice

·
Registered
628 Posts
Parking brake is in the rear brakes. I’ve never used mine in 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A common problem with all cars with rear disk brakes. The do not get used enough and tend not release and if bad enough not work at all.

My 2014 had this problem, especially if put away wet.

I found that if you take the pads off every 12 to 18 months, clean them and reassemble the problem goes away. Some anti seize compound put on the pins really works well.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If you don't use your parking brake it will seize up (possibly throwing a code?). Years ago a friend of mine didn't use his e brake on his Ford F-150 because it would stick. His 4 year old son released it out of gear and the truck rolled down the hill and moved the corner of my neighbour's house off the foundation. You have to use it or lose it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.