GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am a new Volt owner (previously a Jetta Hybrid owner) with a Gray 2016 premier.
Enjoying the car but the amount of cheap looking chrome on the front was a bit much. Thought about painting the grille black with Plastidip but thought it would look too much like a regular car. So I used the Smoke color of Plastidip on the grille itself and I think it looks much better. Thought about making the gold emblem black but don't think it would look good on this grey car...
Grille-straight-on.jpg Grille-close-up.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agree, the color looks better than the chrome. However, I would suggest trying vinyl wrap. Personally, I'm not a fan of the rough rubbery texture of PD.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree the smoke color looks much better than black

Don

·
Registered
605 Posts
Looks good. I find that different grill colors look better on different car colors. I like black for the grill on my white car because I feel it gives it more contrast which equates to sharper lines. Not a fan of black on darker colors though (for similar reasons). Black grill for a black car for example: to me, chrome looks better there. But it's all in the eye of the beholder. It's nice that we can pretty easily change it to our liking (whatever that is).

Mike

·
Registered
514 Posts
I like black for the grill on my white car because I feel it gives it more contrast which equates to sharper lines. Not a fan of black on darker colors though. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Exactly - Everyone looks at things differently

I'm from the opposite camp - I have a white car and think the sharp contrast between the white and black is just way too much and doesn't look 'factory' at all - Looks like some teenager repainted his grille, which is not the 'look' I'm going for. I like the lighter smoke and grays on white cars and darker grays on darker colored cars. Not sure 'basic flat black' looks good on ANY color . . . . but that's just me

Don

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not sure from pictures but it looks like the grill/surround is the same metals as the Gen1 which are different colours. The surround is chrome which is electroplated copper, nickel then chrome layer and is very shiny. The grills I think are stainless steel which when next to the chrome surround is not a shiny. This next to each other just doesn't seem right subconsciously and the reason everybody is trying to change it. The big gold bow tie doesn't tie into many/most colours. Just doing black is too obvious/contrasty for most colours and while different not a whole lot better than what's there already. Tricky design problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts