GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here and wish it could have been in more favourable circumstances. No, Coronavirus is not my immediate problem, although UK has a big problem.
My immediate problem results from replacing the door switch on the front passenger side. One of the UK forum members has designed and manufactured an easily replaceable micro switch and after re-wiring the new switch and before properly re-fitting the handle I decided to test it - it works. Thinking I could open the door from the inside I closed it and discovered that the inside door release lever does not open the door. I am now unable to open the door from inside or out and stuck for a solution. Can anyone help.
Main dealer is not an option as Chevrolet have abandoned the Volt over here. Chris.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, oh. Something must have gone wrong when you were re-assembling the outside latch mechanism as you screwed the TORX back into place. You may have to attempt to remove the inside panel, from the inside. Going to be miserable as you have to somehow pop the bottom of the panel with the trim and seat in the way. Once the screws have been removed, you will have to have something small, short, and flat and VERY strong fingers. I wouldn't be surprised if the panel gets damaged - hopefully the plastic plugs holding the panel to the steel frame will simply break. If the panel does pop, you may be able to see into the door and try to follow the offending mechanism to free the door.
Wear comfortable clothes. If the panel is destroyed, it may be possible to source one from a wrecked car in N. America. The shipping will be brutal. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
This is my first post here and wish it could have been in more favourable circumstances. No, Coronavirus is not my immediate problem, although UK has a big problem.
My immediate problem results from replacing the door switch on the front passenger side. One of the UK forum members has designed and manufactured an easily replaceable micro switch and after re-wiring the new switch and before properly re-fitting the handle I decided to test it - it works. Thinking I could open the door from the inside I closed it and discovered that the inside door release lever does not open the door. I am now unable to open the door from inside or out and stuck for a solution. Can anyone help.
Main dealer is not an option as Chevrolet have abandoned the Volt over here. Chris.
Greetings, EMF! You are not alone--this has happened before:

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?134642-Door-locked-from-smashed-window&highlight=can%27t+open+door

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?333447-Door-handle-replacement-Please-help-amp-x1f61e&highlight=can't+open+door

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?327363-2013-Driver-regulator-tab-repair-now-door-locked&highlight=can't+open+door

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?14536-Rear-door-locked-and-wont-open&highlight=can't+open+door

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tomorrow I will go outside and attempt to remove the inside door panel of my 2012 with the door closed. I will be very careful because I don't want to wreck the panel. Stay tuned. I don't think anything useful can be gleaned from the links that I have just looked at.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The switch and the latch isn't peculiar to the Volt so if you had a trusted dealer over there they could likely help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses, it’s encouraging to know that help is available.
I have been pointed to an identical problem experienced by another UK forum member. The solution involved removing the rear door (to gain access to the edge of the front door) and tighten the Torx screw, which is located under the gromet on the edge of the door. This should enable the handle to function normally and lockdown permitting I will attempt this tomorrow.
Thanks again and I will keep you informed of progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, with only 120+ Volts in the UK and having to depend on very scarce and reluctant dealership resource from Vauxhall, it is re-assuring (essential) to be acquainted with every possible avenue of knowledge and help. I must add that the UK Ampera forum is brilliant and have shared a post from a member who has overcome the same problem by removing the rear door to access the Torx screw.
The second link from @JuneBug identified the same issue, thanks.
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Set about trying to enable the operation of the door handles this morning. As previously experienced the only solution seems to be the removal of the rear door to gain access to the Torx screw.
In practice, the bolts holding the door are long enough to loosen enough to gain access to the Torx screw, the retaining strap does need to be removed though.
The door retaining bolts are dowelled, so the door does not need re- aligning. So in the end the problem could have been resolved without any worry.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Great information, I wouldn't have thought about removing the back doors to access the bolt. Thanks for that and keep us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts