GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a GM Scholar from the University of Detroit, earning a BME, and interned at GM's Technical Center in the alternative fuels group. I went on to GM's then subsidiary Hughes Aircraft Co. to develop military communications equipment. After several years of defense work, I attended Stanford University part time to receive my MSEE and moved into high tech startups, productizing communications products and antennas.

The auto industry has now been infiltrated by viable high tech startups like Tesla Motors and Fisker, which I find exciting and great for the American auto industry. I am also psyched about all the fabulous techs that are being integrated into vehicles - electric motors, batteries, super capacitors, fuel cells, air motors - piston and rotary, solar cells, etc. The auto industry has never been so innovative in my lifetime.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, a technically very exciting time for GM, Tesla and others

Hello:
I'm a Field Applications Engineer at Atmel Corporation. We make the fantastic AVR series of microcontrollers and have a whole line of products that are Automotive qualified. The applications for these devices are often fascinating so my job never gets boring.
None of these new hybrids or electric vehicles would have a chance of succeeding without microcontrollers performing functions from driving the 3 phase motors at 13,000 RPM to controlling accessories, airbags and many new features being created right now.
Tesla has been struggling with growing pains to get their fantastic Roadster in production, on funding that is 1/100 to 1/1000 of what GM will spend on the Volt.
I am eagerly waiting for the Volt, hoping that GM will redeem itself after killing the EV-1, a beautiful piece of engineering. I am sure that GM engineers CAN do this if Management lets them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am also psyched about all the fabulous techs that are being integrated into vehicles - electric motors, batteries, super capacitors, fuel cells, air motors - piston and rotary, solar cells, etc. The auto industry has never been so innovative in my lifetime.

I'll be psyched when I can buy something at a price I can afford. More tech is not what we need. We need production now.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be psyched when I can buy something at a price I can afford. More tech is not what we need. We need production now.
Right now, other than hybrids with 20 - 50 percent improvement in mileage, you need to purchase a conversion vehicle. Those come in many configurations - plug-in hybrids, 100% BEV, natural gas ICE, hydrogen ICE, etc. Unfortunately, you first have to buy the vehicle to convert, then pay anywhere from $4K to $20K for meager performance, and up to $80K for high performance.

Some companies, which will start shipping next year, buy "gliders", vehicles from mass producers with no engine and drivetrain, then do the conversion, which should be cheaper than buying a whole car and throwing away the engine and transmission.

We will all have to wait for the early adopters to launch these technologies while they are eventually price reduced. It's no different than the market penetration of VCR's, CD's, DVD's and plasma TV's. This will all be affordable in a few years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi There!

Hello:

I am a precision engineer/metrologist focused on development, design, and the research of dimensional measurement systems. I have been involved in this work for 20 years now at the world class level. The public would be amazed at how pervasive and involved measurement technology is in their daily lives. The differences between accuracy and precision can be exploited in amazing ways. Standardization is the key to commerce.

I am a GM owner and supporter. I think the Volt will revolutionize the auto industry in the future. I love cars of all types, including the gas guzzling muscle cars of our past. I think that we can still appreciate the past without denegration as we move towards the future.

I love the corvette (and own one).

I think GM's hybrid full size SUV's are amazing machines, considering there designed function.

I will own a first generation Volt for my commute.

I think it is our responsibility to introduce our children to a future free of oil dependency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're looking for a conversion, the natty gas conversions that are performed in Europe are only a few grand (about $2,000). However, I'm not sure how the home fueling equipment is over here as far as price or availability. I'm also completely ignorant as to who actually performs these conversions state-side...

That being said, they're completely possible.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're looking for a conversion, the natty gas conversions that are performed in Europe are only a few grand (about $2,000). However, I'm not sure how the home fueling equipment is over here as far as price or availability. I'm also completely ignorant as to who actually performs these conversions state-side...

That being said, they're completely possible.
Your post seems prescient, given T. Boone Pickens drive to use CNG as a transportation fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts