GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the volt yesterday and was charging it up last night. about 330am there was this bright green light flashing into my bedroom window. Turns out it was my car flashing 3 times then off. Looked up what that was and its telling me the car is like 3/4 charged. While I admire the car communicating with me and all but did it really need to wake me up?

Is there a way to dim this light?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hmmm, that's a first. Maybe cover the light with something? Close the blinds? Maybe sleep on your other side so you don't see it? Nothing in the car settings to dim it that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hmmm, that's a first. Maybe cover the light with something? Close the blinds? Maybe sleep on your other side so you don't see it? Nothing in the car settings to dim it that I'm aware of.
No way to dim it through controls. You could apply some opaque tape to it to dim it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
While I admire the car communicating with me and all but did it really need to wake me up?
As easy as it is for something to wake you up, I can see where this could turn into a serious problem! I get up before my wife, turn on my bedside light so I can see to get dressed, grab some clean clothes out of the chest and sit on the bed and dress - She never wakes or knows I'm up and moving around

I would just sit something over the light on the dash so you can get some REAL sleep - You know, the REM type the doctors all say you really need :p

Don

·
Registered
420 Posts
A small, light piece of black flexible plastic that you keep at hand in the car. When you get out to charge it overnight place the piece of plastic over the light?? There are many solutions to your ??problem...

·
Registered
976 Posts
I find it barely readable during the day.
Check it during the day and see if you have the same opinion.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Talk about a light sleeper! I don't wake up until my cat pokes me in the face to get up and give her some cat food.:p

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Was this flashing green on the dash or inside the charge port access door? Some Volts have the dealer-installed charge port indicator light. You could have the charge port indicator light disconnected. The dash light cannot be dimmed or disabled. You can cover it with tape or a car cleaning cloth.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Talk about a light sleeper! I don't wake up until my cat pokes me in the face to get up and give her some cat food.:p
Don't you just hate that! I get threatened with a paw on my cheek with splayed toes, hinting that at any time the claws will slowly be extended if I don't wake up.:D

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I bought the volt yesterday and was charging it up last night. about 330am there was this bright green light flashing into my bedroom window. Turns out it was my car flashing 3 times then off. Looked up what that was and its telling me the car is like 3/4 charged. While I admire the car communicating with me and all but did it really need to wake me up?

Is there a way to dim this light?
In the spirit of levity, move to another bedroom.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Was this flashing green on the dash or inside the charge port access door? Some Volts have the dealer-installed charge port indicator light. You could have the charge port indicator light disconnected. The dash light cannot be dimmed or disabled. You can cover it with tape or a car cleaning cloth.
If it is the light coming from the charge port access door, which does emit more light that the indicator on the dash itself, you don't need to have that light disconnected. There is an option in the settings menu to turn it off. It's not too difficult to find, and it is covered in the manual.

If it's only the indicator light on the dash that is on, find a piece of cardboard and just cover it up for now and figure out perhaps a better solution later if need be.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Never thought about it but if you have to sleep near it, I can see how it'd be a problem. It is definitely bright: it casts a green light on that entire half of my garage and is bright enough that you can walk around the car without turning any lights on at night. In fact, when I want to know if the car is done charging, I just quickly open the door and look at the ceiling. If the ceiling is solid green, it's done.
:)

Similar to other suggestions, you could cover the lit part with foil tape and before taping it in place, poke a few tiny holes in the tape: as many or as big as you need to make it as bright as you like. Since it'll be in direct sun at times, I just hope the adhesive on any tape you use won't be corrosive to the plastic over time.

Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dash. i musta woke up and saw the new car warning me of some impending doom and jumped to action. to me a light no mater what color giving me an angry 3 flash at 3 am is no bueno.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Get a piece of cardboard and put it over the light at the end of the day. There's no way to dim this light.

For those of us with cats, just be glad they don't have opposable thumbs:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would try to cover it with something like a lid from a Gatorade bottle, or if that is not large enough, a small paper or plastic cup cut down to size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yep, a coffee cup lid from McD's would do it. Might even open the drinking tab to give a slight bit of the light.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Coffee lid or back the car in and see if the different orientation helps. Or get blackout shades. Wouldn't put any kind of tape on it because even the best painters tape under the magnifying glass that is the Volt windshield will turn that into a sticky mess when parked in the sun.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Coffee lid or back the car in and see if the different orientation helps. Or get blackout shades. Wouldn't put any kind of tape on it because even the best painters tape under the magnifying glass that is the Volt windshield will turn that into a sticky mess when parked in the sun.
Any largely but not completely opaque plastic item will do. I’m assuming you still want to see some light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
and we are not going to address the:

"telling me the car is like 3/4 charged"

To bad elementry is not going to answer suggesting a slip on colored flexiable cover.

Use a dark removable paint on the area facing your room.

People have been having problems with the bright blue LED on their internet cable modems for years
and a color marker pen will reduce that light

1 - 20 of 20 Posts