GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It will pay for itself in just two years of commuting. I think I will get this!

For short commutes, it won't add too much time to your commute. It looks like a fairly comfy ride. It has luggage space for up to 350 lbs. 30 miles initial range, but you can add extra (8 lb) batteries for extra 30 mile range each! Recharges via solar (at least partly...). 1800 MPGe. LED headlights/taillights/turn signals.

All in all, a great poor-man's commuter 'car' / starter EV. Drive this for 7 to 10 years and the gas + insurance savings alone (invested) will buy you a Volt.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/842248593/roll-out-the-elf-to-your-city

Really only probably useful for commutes 30 miles and less round trip (just because it will take 45 minutes to drive 15 miles), but here is an EV you can ride in, day in and day out, in all weather, without having to wear a raincoat (unlike on the also-great Phantom X2 electric mountain bike, which I have)

In fact I am VERY tempted to purchase (for rainy-day commuting to my nearby work location)

Cons: looks a little bit geeky, speed legally limited to 20 mph (but the advantage of that is no taxes, no title, no registration, no insurance payments!)

http://www.organictransit.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Interesting, but having played in traffic on my bike (and getting clipped once by a bus and cutoff/crashed by a car) I would be scared to death to take this on the road. Pedestrians would be equally unhappy with me on the sidewalk. YMMV.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting, but having played in traffic on my bike (and getting clipped once by a bus and cutoff/crashed by a car) I would be scared to death to take this on the road. Pedestrians would be equally unhappy with me on the sidewalk. YMMV.
Yeah, when I drive my Phantom X2, I intentionally drive at low-traffic times, use an ~90% off-road route, have full protective equipment on, including hip/thigh shock absorbers, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards over bike gloves, helmet, high-reflectivity bands on both ankles and wrists, and a high-vis + high reflectivity over-shirt net. I constantly monitor cars with my rear view helmet-mounted mirror. I use SlipStreamz which cut down turbulence around my ears for better situational awareness.

I'm not kidding. That is my standard protocol. I think if I buy this it will also be wrapped in high-vis tape, and probably have blinking lights all along its border. Frankly if I'm putting myself at a bit of risk, I don't care if people roll their eyes at me for being safety-paranoid.

My bike itself is wrapped in high-vis 3M tape, including the wheel rims. I use three asynchronously flashing headlights. Basically cars stay a car width away from me, even when I've biked next to a 55 mph highway at night (Even the 18-wheelers change lanes... I don't think a lot of cyclists can say 18 wheelers do that for them... I think everybody thinks, "Wow, he must have been in a bad accident once [which thankfully is not the case]... I am going to give him really wide berth." Or at least they are very much aware of me.).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i have a homebrew electric tadpole trike without a body, and I agree with all the above, it is not stable over 30, and if you screw up you will go UNDER a car.

On the flip side Also have 2 wheelers and they are fine...you see and can be seen. I use them on bike trails and all is good. Last year you could get 9ah 48v LiFePO4 bikes out of Shanghi for under $1,500. 35mph without peddling. a very sturdy frame with a rear 1000 watt hub drive. They are great here with the hills. Peddle along at the speed you like hill or no hill.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
" (but the advantage of that is no taxes, no title, no registration, no insurance payments!)"...and no place to legally drive it anywhere near me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
" (but the advantage of that is no taxes, no title, no registration, no insurance payments!)"...and no place to legally drive it anywhere near me.
Actually you can drive it anywhere a bicycle is legal, because legally, it's a bicycle. I have yet to find a region in which bikes are illegal.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In megacities around the world, yes. Expecially in emerging markets where traditional car ownership is an impossible dream for many people. In 90% of the world, no. California excepted <grin>.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
California excepted <grin>.
And North Carolina accepted. <cheesy grin>

Up to $69 now! I think they are going to make it!

I still really want one of these.

Actually a few years before I got obessed with the Volt, my weak Aspie brain was obsessed with building an enclosed EV tadpole trike (which is what the Elf is, BTW) I had a job where I literally lived 2 miles from work. (still would not have worked in winter!0 I never could "get it together" and since have both changed jobs nearer to "the city" moved further away. And the Leaf became my new obsession...that is until I reserached the Volt!

So anyhow, give a buck to these folks, they are young idealists, but grounded enough to be they change - and on the right track. We need more of that!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: look, it's going to be a success! They've FAR exceeded their goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/842248593/roll-out-the-elf-to-your-city

The future is bright with promise of quiet, responsible, efficient local transportation.

Think of this "bicycle" (which legally it is, with all the benefits of bikes, I.e. no tag no insurance & no registration fees) as an EREV. It really is!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Segway on steroids? Looks like hard braking would be problematic without some type of balancing or limit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd rather just ride my bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts