GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the series. This is the end of it. You can get to the rest of it on the site. I think he nails the many pros (he calls it "brilliant') and the few cons (mainly lack of rear seat space and some cabin layout issues). He says Chevy should put one of these outfront in every showroom. I still don't understand the way they (don't) market this car.

http://gas2.org/2016/05/23/2017-chevy-volt-final-wrap/

·
Registered
6,661 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
"That means I drove a staggering 83 miles on battery power alone. The gasoline engine never came on, even after the range indicator told me I had no range left."
Is he sure about that? This is from page2.
"

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"That means I drove a staggering 83 miles on battery power alone. The gasoline engine never came on, even after the range indicator told me I had no range left."
Yeah, I read that and immediately assumed that the engine had actually come on but he didn't hear it because he expected it to be loud.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yeah, I read that and immediately assumed that the engine had actually come on but he didn't hear it because he expected it to be loud.
Or accompanied by the usual starter-motor grind/clacking, or whatever. Instead, it just clutches in and when it spins up, turns on the ignition power.

·
Registered
675 Posts
"
Down in the discussion section on that page, he says:
I am embarrassed to say I actually did run on the ICE some the first day, but only for 5 miles or so. The engine is so quiet and unobtrusive, I could tell it was running. I just found the power screen today that tells you how much of your driving was done on the battery and how much on the engine.

So i only went about 77 miles on the battery that first day. That's still pretty impressive. Today I went 54.7 miles of mostly highway driving.

If it weren't for the small ICE icon that illuminates in the instrument cluster when the engine active, most people would never know. The engineering is so good, the transition is seamless. Well done, Chevrolet.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Weird. He'd definitely know it came on if he was driving mine. I've described the feeling of it engaging as the feeling of being in a minor collision. I need to test drive another Gen 2.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Weird. He'd definitely know it came on if he was driving mine. I've described the feeling of it engaging as the feeling of being in a minor collision. I need to test drive another Gen 2.
If 2016 sure you get the recalls done, mine had more of a clunk when it kicked on until the updated the ecu software.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't know the ICE kicked in unless I was looking at my dash either. I've never gotten 77 miles on electric, especially with most of it highway though. The most I've gotten is 67. I usually get around 65.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wouldn't know the ICE kicked in unless I was looking at my dash either. I've never gotten 77 miles on electric, especially with most of it highway though. The most I've gotten is 67. I usually get around 65.
Good to know. I'm not sure if I'm just hyper-sensitive or if there's something wrong with mine. Luckily I rarely drive on ICE, but when I do it's the one thing that makes burning gas worse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes you do. My 2016 is difficult to tell when the ICE comes on. My wife can't tell at all.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
something's wrong. contact a volt advisor and get it scheduled to check out. My Gen 1 switchover is smoooooth.

·
Registered
322 Posts
something's wrong. contact a volt advisor and get it scheduled to check out. My Gen 1 switchover is smoooooth.
I contacted an adviser and brought it in. They found that it misfired and the only thing they did was change sparkplugs. Since I rarely drive in ICE, I've given up on caring, but I know it'll drive me nuts on a long drive.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Have you had the software fix?

My 2016 was fine until the second EMM, when it ran horribly rough. I took it in for the fix. Haven't run EMM since, but I am guessing it will fix it.

I believe this isn't a recall but is being done on a complaint basis.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you had the software fix?

My 2016 was fine until the second EMM, when it ran horribly rough. I took it in for the fix. Haven't run EMM since, but I am guessing it will fix it.

I believe this isn't a recall but is being done on a complaint basis.
I actually just called the volt adviser on Monday to verify if my car was eligible for the 32340 update and they said it was performed before I took delivery and specified the exact date (March 4th or something).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I still don't understand the way they (don't) market this car.
I'm not a huge TV watcher but love Game of Thrones which in Cali comes on at 6pm and am often home a few hours before and I put on the TV mainly for background noise...Without fail, I do see the Volt vs "Prius fax machine" pretty often...I'm sure the majority could care less about my opinion yet there have been many well respected on here that have stated GM just overall cannot market...The Volt commercial is awful, pitting the newer Gen Volt vs a Previous Gen Prius...The most "spoofed" carmaker's commercial on youtube are Chevy's "focus group" where the spokesman says anything and the focus group erupts in laugher...Worst, Chevy claimed they're not using actor yet there have been some known actors appearing the commercials who are also listed the Chevy commercial on their actor bio...The older Chevy commercials had badged Chevys where people would sit in the front seat with a Chevy bowtie on the steering wheel and say "wow, this is a Chevy?" Probably prompting Chevy to do the unbadged Malibu commercial...Yet the greatest "gotcha" is that these commercials are done for Mexico in Spanish...The older Cruze commercial, the "woodchipper" Chevy used the exact same props/cell phones taken from the English speaking focus groups and Spanish speaking focus groups...Point being, the premise is flawed, they're lying about actors, re-using props, I just don't see how they could market it any worse...Maybe they're better off not to market it...

·
Registered
322 Posts
You forgot to mention how bad the spokesman is. His flat monotone voice drives me insane.
I watch a lot of TV and have never seen the Volt commercial you're referencing. It must be CA focused.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts