GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was waiting for the weather to clear up, went ahead and got the "upgraded" wheels. My Gen 1 volt had the "sport wheels" so I wanted to get the next gen's version.

They're nice. I don't think the Gen 2 version are as dramatic as the 1st Gen -- those Gen 1 "sport wheels" looked like nothing else on the road and I thought made a big difference with the overall look. These are more, dare I say, honda-esque.

Definitely add a nicer edge to the car, even if a bit more subtle.

IMG_2477 5.jpg IMG_2476 3.jpg IMG_2475 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have the same wheels (and the same color Volt :) ). The dealer where I purchased my car had the rims on pretty much every car on the lot. At first I balked at this but once I saw the car with the rims, I was glad they were there.

The black rims are striking and after two years of driving I can say that they stay pretty clean.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
once I saw the car with the rims, I was glad they were there.
After spending a sunny morning with them, definitely agree. They add a much-needed sportier and aggressive look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was waiting for the weather to clear up, went ahead and got the "upgraded" wheels. My Gen 1 volt had the "sport wheels" so I wanted to get the next gen's version.

They're nice. I don't think the Gen 2 version are as dramatic as the 1st Gen -- those Gen 1 "sport wheels" looked like nothing else on the road and I thought made a big difference with the overall look. These are more, dare I say, honda-esque.

Definitely add a nicer edge to the car, even if a bit more subtle.

View attachment 153330 View attachment 153338 View attachment 153346
Are you selling the old rims?

D

·
0 Posts
Where did you get them. I have been searching everywhere for a set but can't find them for less than. 300 a wheel.
Keep an eye on eBay. No matter how pretty a set of OE wheels are, there are people out there who will 'upgrade' to a set of garish, over the top wheels and sell their OE wheels to recover some of what it cost them to buy the fugly new ones they've just installed. To some people, anything, no matter how ugly, looks better than the OE wheels that came on their car - "Can't stand stock" must be a motto there somewhere

Don

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you selling the old rims?
I "traded them" with the deal. Yes, the dealer got an awesome deal altogether--as they usually do--but I walked out the door with a set of four new wheels for $1,075, which included the trade of my old wheels that had 12K miles on them.

I could have done better selling them myself, but I took a hit by aiming for convenience.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you get them. I have been searching everywhere for a set but can't find them for less than. 300 a wheel.
The online parts warehouses will compete with each other for the best deal, but I never saw them for less than $300/wheel either. The best price I found was I found was at https://www.shopchevyparts.com/ by "signing up" and getting a 5% off code. Watch the shipping charges, as that's where some of these places will hose you. I didn't go with them, I actually just did a screenshot of the order with discounts and negotiated over the phone with a local dealer who matched--didn't pay shipping because I went there and paid them $100 to install them.

Some on the boards have suggested the $215/wheel from https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-5724-mbm-a.html -- but I was a little iffy on going remanufactured and sight unseen. Some on here have said they were fine though.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
They do look great. And I agree they are a bit "Honda-esque" - but not in a bad way. At the San Jose Auto Show last winter it seemed like quite a few other manufacturers were showing their cars with black pocket wheels as well.

The Volts black pocket wheels are a dealer-installed option. So in theory anyone buying a new car with them should also get the 'take off' wheels. A while back, I bought a set of the non-black pocket Premier wheels from someone via craigslist who was selling the take-offs. One of these days I'm planning to find a local shop to do the black pockets for me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of these days I'm planning to find a local shop to do the black pockets for me.
Oh I forgot to mention that I explored this option also--having a local shop do the black pockets. They told me it was more labor intensive to get the "half/black" look as opposed to all one solid color. They quote me $250/wheel which I didn't think was worth it.

The other night, I noticed that the "silver" part of the wheels is actually MUCH more reflective than my old premier wheels. It appears they used an even glossier coat for that portion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I painted my original wheels before they got dirty. That first rim took me 5 hours. The others took 4 hours each. I sanded the rim (don’t include the front surfaces that you don’t paint black) with 1000 grit sandpaper. It's slow, but you don't need to use primer as there are no sanding scratches or bare metal exposures to fill. Patience is a virtue. Chevrolet has painted the entire rim with a clear coat and that's the best surface for paint adhesion if you don't sand thru to metal. Sand just enough to remove the gloss where you wish to add color. Careful on the sharp edges. Don’t over-sand. Masking was also very time consuming. I initially cut out the blue masking tape edges with a new Exacto knife. Have at least one back up blade. On my second wheel, I purchased 1/8 inch orange tape to outline most of the wheel paint areas, and then used blue masking tape to fill in everywhere else. I painted with satin black WHEEL paint. (I did not use any clear coat. It's been 2 years and the wheel paint is still perfect.) Let it set for awhile but not totally dry, then remove the tape and clean up the sharp edges with some nail polish remover. It's simple to create sharp edges while the paint is still somewhat soft. I initially masked from the back side of the wheel to get a sharp edge internally for the black paint. I didn't paint very much of the inside of the rim, and just masked it off at the groove. You should also do a lot of initial sanding and the initial painting from the back side of the wheel.

I used 1" and 3" blue tape. You need the larger blue tape to mask the tire and inside the wheel.

Inside Mask Outline.jpg Outside Mask Outline .jpg Painted Wheel.jpg Finished Look on Car.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts