GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My lovely wife and I have been fighting over who gets to drive our Crystal Red 2012 Volt ever since we first picked it up back in Oct 2011. So finally realizing that our second car (a darling little '09 Honda Fit sport) had lost all of its charm we decided it was time for another EV. Briefly considered the Leaf, but decided we really liked the flexibility of an EREV. Waited a bit to see what the specs would be on Ford's Hybrid Plug-ins -- C-Max and Fusion Energi -- but felt the 20-mile electric range would be a step backward for us; not to mention that the real range of the Fords during the colder months might be more like 14 miles per charge - not nearly enough for our daily needs (and that would just remove all the pleasure that comes from arriving back home at the end of the day knowing you used zero gas). So, at least for us, a second Volt seemed like the only game in town...

So I searched on-line -- thinking that between the GM Volt-incentives and dealers scrambling to meet year-end targets there must be some great deals out there. While there are a few dealers in Michigan that seem to be aggressively promoting the Volt, and pricing accordingly, I decided to give George Matick Chevrolet in Redford a call since they were only about 30 minute drive from Ann Arbor and were advertising much lower prices than my local dealers. They also happened to have a Blue Topaz with the extras we wanted (Premium Trim, Safety Pkg1, and Bose sound).

I worked with two of their managers, Rich Curran and Pat Woolworth, to come up with what I think was a very reasonable deal. They are advertising their base Volts for $239/mo, $999 down plus tax, lic, etc. and I was hoping to work a deal on the more premium model for a fair mark-up over that. First person I spoke with on the phone quoted me something like $70/mo additional cost for the extras which made no sense to me because that equated to taking essentially the entire $2400 worth of extras and dividing it over the 36 months -- Now while I realize that add-ons don't usually carry the same residual as the rest of the car, this "deal" equated to essentially a zero percent residual value placed on the extras. But once I was connected to Pat, he was able to work the numbers on the premium Volt to get us a deal that was reasonably proportional to their advertised special. Our bottom line for the 36 mo US Bank lease on our $42400 MSRP volt comes to: $273 mo ($289 with MI 6% tax), plus $1850 total paid at signing. The $1850 may sound a little high -- but its essentially comprised of the $1000 down, the $289 first month's payment (just 35 payments more to go), and around $450 that covers documentation, MI DMV fees, license and tax on GM's $2000 rebate (yes, in Michigan that's taxed!) -- Also included in that $1850 was an extra $150 state surcharge for our new premium / customized plate (GOTVOLT).

While I am obviously happy with this lease deal, I am also equally impressed with the efficiency, professionalism and pro-customer attitude of this dealership. The car had a couple of issues which, so far, the dealership is handling well: We learned that the car was transferred from a dealer in Ohio in a Volt-swap between the two. However, I did not realize when we signed the paperwork that that would mean this Volt would have a front license plate holder installed which is not required in Michigan, and is something I really preferred not to have hanging off the beautiful front end of the car. When we went out to inspect the car, our sales professional, Rich Curran, saw I was unhappy with the front license plate holder and agreed to have their on-site body shop completely remedy the situation at no cost to me. This might sound like a minor thing, however apparently you can't just remove the front plate holder -- you need to professionally plug the holes in the bumper which requires removing the whole bumper -- they even told me they will replace the bumper if necessary to get it to look perfect. I was really impressed with how they are handling this.

The other issue which, as of this posting, I feel they are handling very professionally has to do with a matter that, I believe, surprised us both upon inspection of the car: Rich Curran and I discovered small- pea-sized particles of glass in the cracks between the rear seats and the center shaft. (I might not have done such a thorough inspection before driving away, however knowing the vehicle had a 200-mile drive from the Ohio dealer I was being quite thorough). This really puzzled us both and led Rich to doing some historical investigation on this vehicle's short life, Turns out the car was not damaged during the 200 mile dealer-to-dealer transfer, but rather, at just 2 miles of life, it suffered a shattered window (the large liftgate/hatchback pane of glass) coming off the tansport carrier into the original dealership.

Having found undiscovered glass in my brand new Volt, and having images in my head of that huge pane of glass completely shattered all over the seats etc of my new car really caused all the positive emotional energy I had about this vehical to take a nose dive. I expressed this to the Rich and Pat and they were very willing to rewrite the lease for a different Volt -- unfortunately we could locate no comparably-equiped Blue volt either in their dealership or any within a reasonable distance and I wasn't willing to change my specs too drastically on the car. I told them, if I were to stay with this Volt, they would need to do the most thorough inside-cleaning and detailing ever -- I did not want any rogue glass whether be it pea-sized or powder-sized migrating around that car after I pulled away. They agreed.

In order for their in-house body shop to handle the front bumper/plate and then their detailing people to have enough time to handle the inside, I've left the Volt with them and they have given me a loaner car -- a Chevy Cruze with a full tank -- and said I could bring it back to them empty if necessary so I would not even incur gas charges. They have guaranteed me that they would do whatever was necessary to satisfy us with our new purchase and I honestly believe they are doing their very best, given the circumstances, to "right" this situation.

So, that's the story, so far, of the new addition to our growing family of Volts :) . Based on the professionalism of the folks at Matick Chevrolet and their attentiveness to the issues that came up I believe this will have happy ending. And despite this unexpectedly less-than-perfect experience with this particular Volt, I would recommend anyone within a reasonable distance of Redford Michigan to consider Matick Chevrolet for a great deal on a Volt.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm up in Canada and the lease rate was in excess of $700 a month when I inquired a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'll be getting one.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome to the Multi-Volt club. I know of no other vehicle that makes its owners so happy that they often buy a second concurrently used one. You have lots of company here in this forum.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Twins in the family. Awesome! When my daughter takes mine to begin college in a few years, there is NO WAY I'll be driving another gas car after the incredible ride of an electric. And thank you GM, no range anxiety. Not only am I sure this isn't going to happen, but planning is already underway. I'm ready when my little blue eyed blonde angel takes the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm up in Canada and the lease rate was in excess of $700 a month when I inquired a few weeks ago. I don't know if I'll be getting one.
Hi Bob,

what is the amount owing after your lease .. is it 36 months ?

In Australia it is $2000 per month , with no money owing at the end. ($65000 Australian, or$68000 usd to buy here - premium packages only imported into Australia)

It seems a lot of the US leases are minimum downpayment, and as high as $34000 end of lease buy-out figure, so the lease itself is only for approx $10,000. Hence the cheap monthly payment..

Cheers from Downunder-- hope Ferny has plenty of snow! (loved it there)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Congratulations from another owner with twins!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts