GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received my "Quality Survey" from Chevrolet. I was really looking forward to responding to it as I typically enjoy taking surveys. Question # 3 was "What type of fuel do you use most often in your vehicle?" with options of Gasoline, Ethanol, Diesel and Natural Gas. This survey is supposedly sponsored by Chevrolet and we're in the, what, 7th year of Volt production? Isn't it time they added "Electricity" to that question? If this survey goes out to Chevy consumers, I can't imagine they have more *consumers* driving on "Natural Gas" than they do electricity?

Anyway, no option for "Other" and I wasn't about to check the "Gasoline" box, so I couldn't continue.

Anyone else get this survey as see the same thing?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well technically "electricity" is not a fuel. A fuel is defined as "a material such as coal, gas, or oil that is burned to produce heat or power." I guess I will select gasoline since the Volt is an electric vehicle with a "Gas-Powered Electric Generator for Extended Range" when I get my survey request.

But you're right. The question should say "If not an electric vehicle, what type of fuel..." or maybe under the options they should include "gas-assist" or "other" and let you fill in the blank. Apparently the survey people don't know about Volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with this survey and sent the following reply to the survey group (i.e., [email protected]):

"The referenced survey for the Volt seems to be rather disconnected from the reality of the Volt as an automobile. For example it asks the question "What type of fuel do you use most often in your vehicle?" and gives 4 possible multiple choice answers (i.e., Ethanol, Diesel, Gasoline, or Natural Gas).

What a "Gas"! I, along with many other Volt owners, picked the Volt because I can (and do) use electricity as my main fuel source.

It seems at least a portion of corporate GM and perhaps their hired surveyors fail to understand the basics of this automobile, how its owners "fuel it", and the reasons they purchase it."

His reply was on the order of "Thanks for the comment, this is the survey we send out for all Chevy vehicles."

To me, it still seems that a lot of corporate GM is very focused on today's sales/earnings numbers without paying any attention to their automobile's future. It can feel like we Volt owners are not just the neglected step child, but actually the unacknowledged illegitimate offspring.

Eric

P.S.. my USB ports are still nonfunctional.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yesterday I received my "Quality Survey" from Chevrolet. I was really looking forward to responding to it as I typically enjoy taking surveys. Question # 3 was "What type of fuel do you use most often in your vehicle?" with options of Gasoline, Ethanol, Diesel and Natural Gas. This survey is supposedly sponsored by Chevrolet and we're in the, what, 7th year of Volt production? Isn't it time they added "Electricity" to that question? If this survey goes out to Chevy consumers, I can't imagine they have more *consumers* driving on "Natural Gas" than they do electricity?

Anyway, no option for "Other" and I wasn't about to check the "Gasoline" box, so I couldn't continue.

Anyone else get this survey as see the same thing?
Why don't you put gas, and keep going then mention their error in the write-up?

ChuckJ

·
Registered
251 Posts
Somewhere, a fuel was consumed to create the electricity stored in the Volt's batteries. Heck, I'd check ALL the boxes!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Why don't you put gas, and keep going then mention their error in the write-up?

ChuckJ
I'd suggest the Natural Gas answer and then clarify if they have an "additional comments" at the end.
It is likely partially true if you charge from the grid ;)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I prefer to think that mine is fueled by Uranium-235. TVA Nuclear Power.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I prefer to think that mine is fueled by Uranium-235. TVA Nuclear Power.
That itty bitty energy source?

Your best energy source might be similar to my direct link to THE ultimate clean energy :
"A nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma with internal convective motion. Three quarters it's mass consists of hydrogen; the rest is mostly helium, with much smaller quantities.................."

Obviously I can't whip this out of my brain so it came from Wikpedia.

So throw up a few panels and link up to your car daily and you can beat the pants off of a nuclear plant?.....in fact send a few KW off in that nuclear plants direction and give it some help? Meanwhile now you have the energy source?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
That itty bitty energy source?

Your best energy source might be similar to my direct link to THE ultimate clean energy :
"A nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma with internal convective motion. Three quarters it's mass consists of hydrogen; the rest is mostly helium, with much smaller quantities.................."

Obviously I can't whip this out of my brain so it came from Wikpedia.

So throw up a few panels and link up to your car daily and you can beat the pants off of a nuclear plant?.....in fact send a few KW off in that nuclear plants direction and give it some help? Meanwhile now you have the energy source?
I'm not looking for an energy source. U-235 is what is already available since I live in the Tennessee Valley and I'm surrounded by nuclear power plants. Some of my power comes from hydro-electric, some from coal, and some from U-235. There's probably a little solar and wind power in the mix as well. I just like the idea that my Volt is nuclear powered. I'm still looking for the Mr. Fusion option though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts