GM Volt Forum banner

Got my HID's installed

14589 Views 31 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  renireni
Thanks for all the info again.
Got my DDM 35 watt 5000k HID's installed.
They look so much better. No more yellow.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet volt
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Mine will be here any day. I'm really looking forward to it. Did you install the HIDs yourself?

· Registered
113 Posts
I beg to differ. I have HIDs installed on my 2012 Volt and the pattern is fine. In the low beam setting a shutter is lowered over the upper part of the HID to block the light and limit it to the area that is ideal and very bright for low beams. When set to high beam the shutter is raised and the light is allowed to cover a larger, higher, farther area. I find it to be excellent and much brighter than halogens. When set to low beams I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic which I would take as a sign that it's misdirected. Since I never set it to high beam when there's oncoming traffic, the larger coverage of the high beams is not a problem. It's been argued in other threads here that it could be a more efficient beam pattern for high beams but I'm very happy with it. A plus is that the 35 watt HIDs are much brighter than the 55 watt halogens while at the same time using less electricity although that difference doesn't really make much difference in range.

Just to be clear, light housings designed for halogens are not going to have the correct beam patterns when fitted with HID capsules:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, real easy. I am still deciding if I should run the harness.
DDM is local to me so I went by and picked up a kit.

Mine will be here any day. I'm really looking forward to it. Did you install the HIDs yourself?

· Registered
459 Posts
I suggest going for the harness. I used one on my '12 but not on the '13. After noticing a lot of flicker at times, I added the harness and they are solid now just like the first. Plus no worry about damaging the stock circuit either. Not saying the will get damaged without one...just more peace of mind IMHO

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I have it, might as well install it.

I suggest going for the harness. I used one on my '12 but not on the '13. After noticing a lot of flicker at times, I added the harness and they are solid now just like the first. Plus no worry about damaging the stock circuit either. Not saying the will get damaged without one...just more peace of mind IMHO

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
143 Posts
First, I made no mention of cut-off. Projectors do indeed have a plate that blocks light from going higher than a specific height. What I said was beam pattern. A headlight is not designed like a flashlight. And a flashlight with a cut-off plate does not make a good headlight (even a really strong one). The shape and distribution of intensity of light is designed with driving in mind. The arc of an HID arc capsule will never be able to accurately match the way a filament will throw light on the ground.

I'll add an additional link from the same site that discusses HID vs Halogens. It discusses some of the physiological aspects how we see using headlights at night, especially with respect to lighting distribution.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

All this said, do with the information what you want. I only seek to inform.

· Registered
300 Posts
First, I made no mention of cut-off. Projectors do indeed have a plate that blocks light from going higher than a specific height. What I said was beam pattern. A headlight is not designed like a flashlight. And a flashlight with a cut-off plate does not make a good headlight (even a really strong one).
Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach. I have a really nice HID set up from Morimoto, 35 watt, 5000K and the bottom line is that I can see much better at night with those lights than I could with the stock set up. Don't go trying to tell someone that has done this modification, that we cannot. I don't really care about physics, patterns or any other mumbo jumbo. I care about real time results. My results are really good, much better than stock. Now are there some cheap HID's out there that do not work as good, absolutely. But for those of us that have real time results that are good, don't try to tell us, that they are not, and we only think they are. I also have never had someone flash their lights at me, so I know I am not blinding anyone.
I realize you say you are only trying to inform, however you may also be causing someone who could benefit from this modification to not do it, based on the theory that it does not function as desired, when in real time it does if you choose a good company and kit.

· Registered
156 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I don't understand, you said halogen housing are not made for HID's. I agree.
These housing we have sure seem like they are meant for HID's with the cut-off and pattern.

So are you just not liking HID's at all??

First, I made no mention of cut-off. Projectors do indeed have a plate that blocks light from going higher than a specific height. What I said was beam pattern. A headlight is not designed like a flashlight. And a flashlight with a cut-off plate does not make a good headlight (even a really strong one). The shape and distribution of intensity of light is designed with driving in mind. The arc of an HID arc capsule will never be able to accurately match the way a filament will throw light on the ground.

I'll add an additional link from the same site that discusses HID vs Halogens. It discusses some of the physiological aspects how we see using headlights at night, especially with respect to lighting distribution.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

All this said, do with the information what you want. I only seek to inform.

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach. I have a really nice HID set up from Morimoto, 35 watt, 5000K and the bottom line is that I can see much better at night with those lights than I could with the stock set up. Don't go trying to tell someone that has done this modification, that we cannot. I don't really care about physics, patterns or any other mumbo jumbo. I care about real time results. My results are really good, much better than stock. Now are there some cheap HID's out there that do not work as good, absolutely. But for those of us that have real time results that are good, don't try to tell us, that they are not, and we only think they are. I also have never had someone flash their lights at me, so I know I am not blinding anyone.
I realize you say you are only trying to inform, however you may also be causing someone who could benefit from this modification to not do it, based on the theory that it does not function as desired, when in real time it does if you choose a good company and kit.
Gee, and I thought this is a forum for presentation and discussion of ideas without fear of personal attack. If we want to maintain the usefulness of this forum we should keep it free of demagoguery.

There are pros and cons for use of HID headlights. Among the pros are higher light output, "whiter" light and lower power consumption. Among the cons are that the narrow spectral lines of HID lamps can distort color perception, ie, the ability to differentiate one color from another. And, according to NHTSA and many researchers, the higher luminance of HID headlights can cause glare and temporary night blindness. Our eyes rapidly adapt to an increase in brightness but take minutes to adjust to reduced brightness.

European regulations require HID headlights to incorporate lens cleaners (to reduce glare) and automatic leveling (to maintain proper light distribution.) The US allows manufacturers and importers to self-certify their products. Conversion kits may or may not include these desirable safety features. From what I have read, it appears that NHTSA has concluded that no HID conversion kit can satisfy Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for on-road use.

There are many products on the market that are not necessarily good for us or for those around us. Just because we can install HID headlights doesn't mean that it is a good idea to do so. Anyone who does decide to install them should be aware of the potential impact on other drivers as well as the electrical, visual and explosive hazards that accompany HID lamps.

The following may be useful to members seeking additional information about HID headlights.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp#Applications
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
http://www.aa1car.com/library/hid_headlamps.htm (Includes info on NHTSA findings on conversion kits.)
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HID/x5kit.php (Includes a NHTSA review of a conversion kit and comments on conversion kits in general.)
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html (The last sentence of the third paragraph expresses NHTSA's view on conversion kits. FMVSS are the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards which sets a maximum limit on headlight luminance.)

And the following may be useful to members seeking to understand the differences between HID and Halogen lamps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_halide_lamp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

KNS

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is. But since this thread is about MY HID's, can we stay on topic? I appreciate the info, but thanks for taking away my thunder.
If you would like to start your own thread on this topic, be my guest. Thanks.

Gee, and I thought this is a forum for presentation and discussion of ideas without fear of personal attack. If we want to maintain the usefulness of this forum we should keep it free of demagoguery...

KNS

· Registered
979 Posts
Does Stern compare halogens vs HIDs where the halogen is in a projector, or just when the HID is used in a halogen-designed reflector? Because unless I'm mistaken, there's no reflector optics for the headlights in the housing, only a projector 'eyeball', which makes historical comparisons of the two somewhat irrelevant.

Are there other cars with halogen projectors (actual projectors vs cosmetic projector-lookalikes)?

(Also, are there car-specific HID kits for the Volt yet? (and any chance of an LED projector kit?))

· Registered
1,623 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.