GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying (maybe too hard) to trigger and test the FCA and FAB on my new 17 Volt. On my 13 I could easily trigger the alert and react and I'm sure it saved my butt several times.

But as a new Gen II owner I was starting to think my Volt had a fault as I couldn't get the FCA to alert let alone activate the FAB.

But yesterday on my way home I was in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic and got distracted and suddenly I get the jolted by the VERY LOUD BEEPS along with the red lights displaying in the windshield. Of course I reacted and didn't wait for the FAB to brake so that piece is still untested.

I have the distance set to FAR but based on my experience I feel FAR isn't FAR enough, I was dangerously close to the vehicle in front of me when it finally alerted, not sure how well the FAB would have worked in that situation. Not willing to find out.

I do like the FCA HUD though. Maybe in time GM will add more features to the HUD since it's already there.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure what happened to my first reply! But I will try again! My Silverado has an adjustment for range of the FCA. I would think your Volt does as well. Our 2015 Volt doesn't have such things. As for the FAB, try hanging a sheet across the drive way or in a parking lot. See if the sensors detect it and automatically brake. Might be a way to test it without a trip to the body shop for either the Volt or you!

Apparently I didn't read your post too carefully. I see that you already have it set to "FAR".

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I believe that FCA is triggered not by distance alone but by calculated time to impact. In other words, it responds to a combination of distance and relative speed. I believe that setting it to far provides at least a 2 second window in which to apply hard braking.

KNS

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've gotten the FCA a few times. Most of them were reasonable. FAB activated on me once when it was not reasonable. ACC was off. I was coming out of the shadow of an overpass in slow moving heavy traffic when it slammed on the brake simultaneously with the alarm. Then it got off the brake. Picture stomping your foot on the brake and removing it as quickly as you could, while doing maybe 5mph. It sounded almost like a collision as the brakes engaged and released. I was more worried about the car in back of me than the one in front at that moment (because of the FAB, not because the car behind was too close). I was definitely more than two seconds away from the front one. I concluded that the overpass or its shadows had momentarily confused the car. I drive by that spot every day and of course now I'm on the lookout for a repeat, but it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I'm 64 and as I get older I find my reaction time is not what it used to be so all of these new safety devices are of great interest to me. But like Tesla's AP some of these features/technologies still need some maturing.

But regardless any advance warning/action by the car is appreciated and my lessen any incident.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I found that the 'close' setting created too many false positives for my liking. The middle setting seems decent. As mentioned above, it seems to take both speed and distance into account. The units in the 'following distance' display are in seconds - not feet/meters. So it is interesting to watch it to see when the FCA will trigger. (E.g., a little under 0.8 seconds in the middle position with some delta in speed between your car and the one in front of you.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts