GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a 240V charger installed today, if anyone is on the fence it makes a world of difference. I have old wiring so I didn't feel safe running the 120V charger at it's full rate, at the reduced (8A) rate it takes about 20 hours to do a full charg, the 240V is only 4.5 hours. The unit seems well built.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Excellent! Mine arrived last week, and I'm waiting for the electrician to install it. Can't wait.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There's nothing like it... Fresh, safe wiring, professional installation and a full charge in 4.5 hrs!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am staying-up tonight until 3:30 AM in order to fully-charge my Volt at the station, after hiking up Mount Yale to 14,197 feet today, before driving it home to park in my condominium garage parking area. I wish that I had a charging station a half-mile closer to my bed.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
There's nothing like it... Fresh, safe wiring, professional installation and a full charge in 4.5 hrs!
Yup and CC EVSE are really the best and made in the USA. And I have noticed it only takes my 2013 Volt right at 4 hours to fully charge. A local Tesla buddy stopped by to show me his car and I wanted to see how it worked on a Tesla and his display showed he was charging at 11 MPH. If/when I buy a Tesla my CC Level II EVSE will easily charge a Tesla.

Happy charging.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Charging rates for the Car Battery

I have been looking at the Clipper Creek unit. My 2017 is new to me and I have been using the 120v charger. Since I don't put a lot of miles on the car battery, it doesn't take a lot of time to charge it up overnight... 4 hours or so. Using the 12Amp rate is even faster.

Does anyone know what the impact is of a slow charge Vs a fast charge on the batteries over time?

The Volt has the smaller 6.3 kv charger anyway so you are limited from the start. Maybe this is one reason the feed back that we are beginning to see is indicating 70k miles, 100k miles and little if any loss of mileage range.

BUT, being a new car with an entriely different technology, I have read everything I can find to keep the VOLT in the best shape for long range service. An article suggested that slow charging was less of an impact of repeated charging than hard fast charging. This would reflect 120v charging vs 240 v charging, I think. We may not see that much of an impact as the VOLTS built in charger is smaller from the factory, about half the capacity of what the other manufacturers chargers deliver.

I suppose to put more light on this, the volt can charge with the 120v charger at 8 amp and 12 amp. It will also accept 240v at 16 amps and I think that is the limit. You can buy a larger charger but you only get the benefit that the built in charger will allow.

It is so exciting to not have to stop at the gas station to fill'er up and have a full charge in the morning. It is something that you have to experience to fully understand.

R

2017 VOLT
Build Date: 5/15/2016

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have been looking at the Clipper Creek unit. My 2017 is new to me and I have been using the 120v charger. Since I don't put a lot of miles on the car battery, it doesn't take a lot of time to charge it up overnight... 4 hours or so. Using the 12Amp rate is even faster.

Does anyone know what the impact is of a slow charge Vs a fast charge on the batteries over time?
Nope. There haven't been enough credible reports of diminished capacity to evidence any kind of trend.

The Volt has the smaller 6.3 kv charger anyway so you are limited from the start. Maybe this is one reason the feed back that we are beginning to see is indicating 70k miles, 100k miles and little if any loss of mileage range.
3.6 kW. We get fussy about units sometimes.

BUT, being a new car with an entriely different technology, I have read everything I can find to keep the VOLT in the best shape for long range service. An article suggested that slow charging was less of an impact of repeated charging than hard fast charging. This would reflect 120v charging vs 240 v charging, I think. We may not see that much of an impact as the VOLTS built in charger is smaller from the factory, about half the capacity of what the other manufacturers chargers deliver.
That article is based on how other batteries have behaved under completely different charging conditions, mostly abusive ones, or tests to destruction. The Volt's charging system is so far off the "gentle" end of the curve they're reporting on that no reasonable conclusion can be applied to the Volt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
For a simple, reliable, made in USA, UL-certified, 3 year warranty no matter who installs it L2 EVSE,, you can't beat the Clipper Creek units. My LCS-25 has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had my 240 in before the car even got here. The wife has a volt coming and I have installed a second 240 before that gets here too!
Sure I can charge overnight on L1 but when I get home from work and have an errand to run an hour later L2 is invaluable.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In very general terms slow charging is easier on batteries than fast charging is. However, there are a couple of reasons why it's probably not relevant for the Volt:

- The Volt has active thermal management to keep the battery happy during charging, which eliminates much of the downside to faster charging, and

- Even "fast" charging at the full 3.6KW rate is relatively slow, and the more deleterious effects of fast charging likely wouldn't start to kick unless you could charge at even higher rates.

While it's possible that there could be a small difference in battery longevity between a Volt that's always charged at 120V/8A and one that's charged at 240V/15A, my guess is that any such difference would be lost in the noise of other environmental and usage factors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts