GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Asheville NC with the wife and a friend this past weekend and I know they have a couple of EVSEs, so when I got to the chargers there was a black model S parked right in front of the EVSE but WASN'T USING IT!

I parked right by it and stretching the cable to the max, I could still charge but it felt weird and really bothered me that another EV driver would do that...

·
8,680 Posts
Drove to the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Asheville NC with the wife and a friend this past weekend and I know they have a couple of EVSEs, so when I got to the chargers there was a black model S parked right in front of the EVSE but WASN'T USING IT!

I parked right by it and stretching the cable to the max, I could still charge but it felt weird and really bothered me that another EV driver would do that...
Sadly, there are entitled idiots in every crowd. I assume the EVSE had a space marked EV only and it was relatively close to where folks might want to go? (a "good parking space")

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I notice a lot of new spaces are being explicit in the signage "for electric vehicle charging only"
as opposed to more generic "electric vehicle parking"
to reduce such events. (It is now a ticketable offence if they enforce)

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Was it a free charge station?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

I went to our local IKEA a couple of months ago. They have Level 2 and Level 3 charging stations. At the level 2 stations were a Model X and a Model S, both unplugged, and a Volt.

All that were left for me were empty Level 3 stations.

What do we call this? Being Teslated?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I notice a lot of new spaces are being explicit in the signage "for electric vehicle charging only"
Because some people are going to lack common sense or are just jackasses.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hmmm...I've been a SN Pale Ale fan since 1987 and am a regular customer at the original SN brewery in Chico when business takes me there. I charge my Volt at their parking lot. Both L2 and DCFC chargers available. Their chargers are way in the back of the parking lot - under some nice solar-panel shade structures:) Never have seen an ICE issue. You have to want to park there to grab a spot. The restaurant manager has the free Chargepoint card to activate it if you aren't a Chargepoint member.

FYI, Sierra Nevada's owner is a very early EV advocate and renewable energy fanatic. He owned a Nissan Leaf (now has a Tesla) and drove that to the brewery every day. I'd usually see it parked out front, as he normally had no need to charge while at the office. The Chico facility has one of the world's largest NG fuel-cell co-gen facilities (uses natural gas directly - no stored hydrogen - and all the waste heat goes to the brewery processes). In conjunction with a massive PV system, 90% of their energy is generated on-site.

Great beer. Glad to hear the NC brewery is up and running.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Aside from the obvious, situations like this make owning a BEV a dicey proposition. Imagine being a BEV owner counting/needing a charge to get somewhere.

Until we have laws with real penalties and are enforced the Volt is still the best choice. I just wish it were bigger.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Aside from the obvious, situations like this make owning a BEV a dicey proposition. Imagine being a BEV owner counting/needing a charge to get somewhere.

Until we have laws with real penalties and are enforced the Volt is still the best choice. I just wish it were bigger.
Chevy Volt backup range system...:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you posted your experience on the PlugShare app? I'm not sure, I'm a noob, but it seems like the best place to track such things. You might even get a heads up that a particular charger is be ICE'd or T_Holed..

·
Registered
433 Posts
I live down the road from that Sierra Nevada brewery and while ICEing and EVoling does happen, it is rare. The spots aren't exactly prime real estate (there are many spots that are closer to the door), though the chargers are free to use so they do see heavy use.

Tesla driver was mighty inconsiderate though. Perhaps they intended to charge but just forgot? I do that in my garage from time to time...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Photo of a #T_HOLE blocking a charging space in Annapolis I found on Plugshare. Photos of #T_HOLES are all over Plugshare. Tesla owners are the worst at blocking charging spaces among EV owners. They are also the worst about getting horribly cheesy vanity license plates too. :rolleyes:

FB_IMG_1511113926652.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Samething happened to me at Animal Kingdom in Orlando. Tesla was parked there but not charging. Just wanted the parking spot. It's located in the hanicapped parking area. So it's what I consider premium parking without paying the $40.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sadly, there are entitled idiots in every crowd. I assume the EVSE had a space marked EV only and it was relatively close to where folks might want to go? (a "good parking space")
Relatively but not super prime. It was the Thanksgiving weekend so it was quite crowded though (obviously that's not an excuse).

Was it a free charge station?
Yes, for customers. You have to drive about a mile into their facilities to get to the EVSE so charging there and walking out is far fetched.

Did you do the tour if so what one did you do.
I want to go up there sometime.
It would be nice to charge my Volt while doing the tour.
Sure did! We did the tasting tour, they even opened a barrel and we tried beer straight out of it. We also did the free self guided tour, toured the bar upstairs and sat at the restaurant while "touring" a few grass fed beef burgers and duck fat fries... It's 8:41 am and now I'm hungry...

Photo of a #T_HOLE blocking a charging space in Annapolis I found on Plugshare. Photos of #T_HOLES are all over Plugshare. Tesla owners are the worst at blocking charging spaces among EV owners. They are also the worst about getting horribly cheesy vanity license plates too. :rolleyes:

View attachment 143969
Funny, the car had some ECTO OR ECTO 1 plates, hmmm.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
... the signage "for electric vehicle charging only"
I wish this were the case everywhere!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I see similar every day at our work charging station, except with a variety of plug-in cars, not just Teslas. Our signage says it is for plug-in EVs only, but does not say for charging only. So they park and block access for charging. This is basic human nature. Education and etiquette will not change human nature. People act like parking is the single most valuable resource on the planet and and nothing is more important than parking 30 feet closer. This will always happen until we actually fix the system to change the incentive structure (have the right signs, enforce the signs, and implement logical fees for charging).

My solution at work is a simple one. I get there earlier than other plug-in drivers, so I have my pick at that time. But this is just another example of why the current state of public charging is not reliable and never will be as long as it relies on the honor system. There is a lot of focus on building more public charging infrastructure, but really we need smarter infrastructure just as badly as we need more infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts