GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this happened three times this week. I preconditioned the car in the morning like normal (its been in the high 20s-low 30's). I come out to the car, unplug, hop in, and hit the start button. As soon as the car starts, the left turn signal turns on. First time it happened, I thought maybe I hit the stalk or something, but then it happened 2 more times since. Always in the morning. I'm not too concerned at this point, and kinda though it was amusing, but hoping it gets it poop in a group and goes back to normal soon.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Probably a fault in the switch that is sensitive to temperature (contraction and/or expansion around the switch). I suspect replacing the switch would fix it. It would be covered under warranty, but getting it to act up for the technician will be difficult. Maybe try taking a video of the problem so you can show that as proof.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The actual turn signal turned on, as in it clicked inside? I can't even begin to think what would cause that other than a wiring defect, but I'm not sure why cold temperatures would affect that. I would have expected that sort of thing to become prevalent in hot temperatures (when insulation can weaken or melt), not cold.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The turn signal stalk was in the center position, but the left blinker started happily flashing away as soon as I hit the start button. Like I said, it was weird. I have 40k miles on the car and have had it since new 17 months ago. This is the first time it has happened. I've had a few random ghostly software things in that time, but nothing that effect actually driving the car. Its just been things like this turn signal thing, 2-3 times I've had random chimes while driving with no indication of why, and some goofy crap with connecting my phone via Carplay where I can't get any audio except for AM/FM radio. In the case of the radio, it gets stuck in some connection loop where the phone connects, disconnects, and reboots the infotainment system until I pull over manually disconnect it and restart the car. Its annoying as hell, but doesn't happen often enough for me to consider a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I think the car may be telling you it's looking for a good time. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts