GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2016 Volt for three years and just picked up my 2019 Volt last weekend. The color on the 8" display is slightly washed out. The reds look pinkish, for instance. I'm not aware there should be any burn time requirement for this display. Anyone else seen/heard of this? My 2016 display color was great from day 1. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I know the dash and infotainment display was changed and the pics I saw online (which I can't seem to easily find now) made it looked a little washed out to me. Let's see if someone with a 2019 can snap a pic of their dash so you both can compare.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up my 2019 beginning October, haven't really noticed "this" what are you looking at...or is it in general? I'll look at mine tomorrow morning and see if I see this faded red look.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A friend just got a 2019... The display is definitely less saturated and lower contrast than my 2016...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Does it look better if you move your head to the right and look at it straight on? If so, they may be using a cheaper display and the pre-2019 ones might be IPS displays. I only ask because I know cheaper monitors dull out when you look at them from the side.

Mike

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Always thought those centre display panels should have some swivel so they could be swiveled at least slightly towards the driver (or passenger if they are using them).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much change when viewing from a different angle. After a week now wth the car I’ve decided I’m okay with it. The color is change is slight, but doesn’t bother me. It is different from my 2016 though. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Hey Miami, would you mind talking about some of the updated settings on the 2019 dash + infotainment system? I'm interested in knowing if you can still get the "classic enhanced" (or similar) display and whether or not there is better real-time climate energy consumption information in the new energy screen. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.22.30 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 4.22.17 PM.jpg
Hey Miami, would you mind talking about some of the updated settings on the 2019 dash + infotainment system? I'm interested in knowing if you can still get the "classic enhanced" (or similar) display and whether or not there is better real-time climate energy consumption information in the new energy screen. Thanks for any help.
I attached a picture of the options for the screen behind the steering wheel. Now there are two options, simple and enhanced. Real time climate energy consumption? Hmm, I don't think so. Just what's always been on the steering wheel screen showing +-kW consumption. If I'm wrong somebody correct me. In general I love the many UI upgrades on the 2019. I just wish the enhanced screen didn't have the green leaf thing. I don't need it to tell me if I'm being efficient, I already know. Other than that, everything is great.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Even the "enhanced" looks more simple on the 2019. Does it at least show you when the ICE is providing power vs. the battery (when in hold or battery depleted)? It looks like it will still continue to show regen.

Yeah I was hoping that the 2019 update to the energy app would bring back the useful real-time climate energy usage information I liked in my Gen 1. The Gen 1 told you when the heater or A/C was running and it also gave you a "%" of maximum climate energy consumption that helped me to tweak the temp/fan setting to get the best balance of comfort/efficiency. I was surprised they stopped providing all this useful information in the Gen 2. I miss it now that it's below freezing in the NE.

Was thinking of picking up a 2019 so I could own the final most "advanced" VOLT ever built -- with the long desired power seat + lumbar support.

Any "silent" range increase or still similar 14-14.2 kWh used per charge?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please excuse me if this is not the issue, but does the brightness knob make a difference?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please excuse me if this is not the issue, but does the brightness knob make a difference?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
No, not an issue. The display is great, just the color is a little different and I’m good with it now. Both displays appear higher pixel density to me. Clearly “better.”

·
Registered
790 Posts
The center display at least is supposed to be a higher pixel density (e.g. full HD vs. 720p) so text, etc... should be sharper. Regarding UI elements, they have all been redesigned so you can't really compare the '16-18 to the '19. What was red on a '16 might now be a lighter shade of red by design.

All speculative as I have not seen a '19 in person.

·
Registered
354 Posts
OK, so we've had our 2019 for about a month now. It's actually our third Volt. I still have my 2011 with 76,000 miles on it (number 2,243 off the line), we had a 2014 for five years and both Gen 1 cars have been great. As advanced as I originally thought the 2011 was (and it was), this 2019 makes both previous cars feel "vintage". Sold the 2014 to buy the 2019.

I'd like for you to clarify if you're referring to the 8" screen behind the steering wheel or the 8" center stack screen. Regardless, I've not noticed any color issues on either. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the center stack screen only because it took me a bit to realize that if you're playing music it shows the album cover as kind of a blury background image. First time I thought something was wrong with the screen.

I can't speak to how this compares with the 2016 - 2018 as I've not seen any of those. The backup camera is now HD and it's an incredible display.

If the new 2019 is anywhere near as reliable as the two previous have been, this is and will be an awesome car! Currently we're averaging 57 - 62 miles on a charge and getting near 49 mpg on gas.

Love our Volts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts