GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Aptera is my back-up if the Volt debut price ends up being too high. I hear rumors now that the "out-the-door" price of the Volt may end up closer to 40k than 30k.

I've got $4k saved so far for a downpayment and expect to have $10-12k by 2010. I can afford at most about $350/month for a loan. My credit union currently has rates around 5% for cars. Maybe a lease will be an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aptera is the future

I'm with Ned, the Aptera is the ONLY affordable all-electric option out there now that will actually have wheels on the road in 2009. I wonder why there's not more talk about it on this site... I think people have to wake up and realize that the car industry is stalling on these PHEVs. There will always be an excuse -- the battery's too expensive, we can't make enough of them to make up our R&D, blah blah blah. If you believe GM when they say they can't make a 40-mile range vehicle for less than 45K, then how did Aptera make a 120-mile range vehicle (and a hybrid, at that), for $30K? It just doesn't make sense to wait for GM and Toyota unless they change their tune. :cool:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm with Ned, the Aptera is the ONLY affordable all-electric option out there now that will actually have wheels on the road in 2009. I wonder why there's not more talk about it on this site... I think people have to wake up and realize that the car industry is stalling on these PHEVs. There will always be an excuse -- the battery's too expensive, we can't make enough of them to make up our R&D, blah blah blah. If you believe GM when they say they can't make a 40-mile range vehicle for less than 45K, then how did Aptera make a 120-mile range vehicle (and a hybrid, at that), for $30K? It just doesn't make sense to wait for GM and Toyota unless they change their tune. :cool:
"I don't think people want to plug in their cars"
-Mr Toyota

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
From their site:

The approximate price for the all electric version is $27,000 and the plug-in hybrid $30,000. These prices are subject to change any time before we begin production.
What makes you so sure these estimates are hard and true? Historically pricing for any new product ratchets up and up the closer to launch it gets.

How did Aptera get to a 120 mile plug in for a supposed $30k? By lopping off two seats, one wheel, ditching crash testing, only selling it in California so they don't have to make it conform to the laws of the rest of the world and of course, making up the performance numbers and price estimates. Again, from their site:

At this time we are not able to post hard numbers on performance, although top speed for the production model will exceed 85 mph, going from 0-60 in under 10 seconds.
They have a prototype it seems, why no hard numbers? Anyhow, the Aptera has been discussed on this site. It's just most of here want an electric car. The Aptera is not a car. From their site:

In fact, Aptera is a motorcycle manufacturer registered with DOT and CA DMV.
and

Since the Aptera is classified as an enclosed motorcycle a front plate is not required.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
^ I think you might be a little harsh. The Aptera is a car in every way important. It is much more like a car than a motorcycle. I wouldnt own a motorcycle. I would own an Aptera.

I agree the performance numbers would be nice. This close to a launch date, they should already have this information available. Their site hasnt really been updated in months. It does make we wonder...

As far as the price. I think it will be very close to what they have posted. They didnt have to invest billions on electric technology like GM is doing to bring a product to market. That means much less R&D ammortorized into the cost of the vehicle, even for low production. They have kept their costs down, and it will show in the bottom price.

Personally, if the Aptera were available in NC today, I'd be on the waiting list. However, I doubt this boutique company will sell much outside of Cali. It would be nice, but I doubt it will happen.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The point wasn't that it's not a car. The point was it's made as a motorcycle so it doesn't have to meet car guidelines for crash safety and features. If they made it as a car (as GM does with the Volt), cost would be much higher and production delayed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's hard to comapre the Aptera to the Volt. They're really different beasts. All things considered, for my needs and wants the Aptera would be my pick, but I can't hold my breath till it's offered in NewEngland.

I know it's catagorized as a motorcycle but they haven't just dismissed crash testing and safety features although legally i think they could have. According to Aptera their testing meets minimum safety specs of a passenger car. car or motorcycle.. it is what it is. And in my opinion it's a friggen awesome small car for cheap(relatively). And if they mannaged to cut that much cost by calling it a motorcycle then i think it was a brilliant move and all cars should drop a wheel. saves you 25% on tire rotations as well

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I am losing a lot of hope with Aptera. You would 'think' that with production scheduled at the end of the year, there would be lots of updates on their site... Nothing.... nada. Not even a recent news story talking about the development. I'll be surprised if they are releasing cars to the public by this time next year.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am losing a lot of hope with Aptera. You would 'think' that with production scheduled at the end of the year, there would be lots of updates on their site... Nothing.... nada. Not even a recent news story talking about the development. I'll be surprised if they are releasing cars to the public by this time next year.
Welcome to the world of wannabe "car" makers. GM says it's just a little behind or is not sure of a date and people condemn the Volt project to being an elaborate PR hoax instantly. Some little start up? No problems! They're just so busy trying to get cars out the door (and take your deposit money) that they just don't have time to update their website.:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts